Thread: Wondering...

Default Wondering...

I don't do a lot of pursuing on the Mandolin Cafe...only about 3-4 times a day!

Mandolin by John Zeidler
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/201423#201423

I have seen this mandolin in the classifieds numerous times over the last few years and I wonder why it keeps coming back. I am not familiar with the maker but judging by the price he was special. Has anyone played this mandolin? Comments?

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Default Re: Wondering...

As you may not know, John Zeidler passed away over 20 years ago, and I think he is more well known for his arch top guitars. With that, many folks might pass on a fine instrument from a somewhat unknown maker, regardless of quality. I recall that John McGann was quite a fan of his and I believe he owned one of Zeidler's Instruments.

I've never heard one though.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

3. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Hi Billy—I have not played this mandolin but know John Zeidler from his archtop guitars which are also justifiably highly regarded. The guitar I played, years ago at Mandolin Brothers, was very clear, even, and focused. More “classic” than “modern” I would say than, for example, John Monteleone’s work. Of course how that might translate into a mandolin is uncertain, but I would expect a really top shelf instrument. —R.

5. The following members say thank you to Richard Mott for this post:

John McGann had more than a few of Zeidler's instruments that I recall over the years. A mutual friend of McGann and myself used to go stay at Zeidler's in Philly for weeks at a time doing various major home repair and remodeling jobs for Zeidler and always came home with a beautiful instrument as payment...I recall an arch top guitar, mandolin, mandola, mandocello...quite the complete Zeidler collection, all stellar in design, workmanship and sound.
    too many strings

7. The following members say thank you to musicofanatic for this post:

I believe that this instrument has been listed on Carters' website for several years. At least I have been drooling over it and "wondering" for what seems like about five years. Always glad that it is still there...just in case, someday. I also think that the selling/asking price has remained exactly the same???

9. The following members say thank you to Potosimando for this post:

I played one of his mandolins at a noisy guitar show in Long Island, NY back in the early 1980s. I can’t say I could actually remember and probably could not hear anything over the multiple “Stairways to Heaven” being played simultaneously. John was a nice guy and let me play it though. BTW John Monteleone was there too and I could not hear his instruments over the din either. Fun times…
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Like others on this thread, I've seen this mandolin on Carter's website for some time. As luck would have it, I was able to visit a couple of weeks ago and this was one of the instruments I wanted to play. I knew that McGann was a fan and a friend of mine spoke very highly of the maker's guitars. The super friendly folks at Carter's let me take it and a few others into a private room and have at it. On this instrument in particular, I was a bit disappointed. Reputation did not translate into an instrument that I thought was great by any means. The strings were new, so that wasn't a problem. It sounded tight and lacked depth of tone. It wasn't interesting to my ears at all and worse, the playability did not make up for its sound. I felt like the neck angle was off and it made for difficult playing. In my opinion, there was a wall of instruments that I'd choose over the Zeidler as a player, a collector may feel otherwise.

That being said, if anyone wants to start a gofundme for the Gilchrist A model (I think it's a bit overpriced) or the Monteleone Baby Grand, I'm happy to accept.