Thread: Took the plunge

Default Took the plunge

So I picked up an OM (GT OM800+), came set up and plays well. I play mandolin and guitar so I figured why not give it a try, looks like fun. So where does a new OM player start? Recommended instruction, etc is appreciated. Thanks
    Lee Hill

Default Re: Took the plunge

Well you start by being considerably cooler than you were before you got the Octave.
    All the chord shapes are the same on the octave as standard mandolin, obviously the stretch is larger, I would start with chords (4 finger chop chords are at your own risk), being a guitar player this should not be a huge problem.

G, C, D, A , Am, Em, Bm Dm these are the basics, but the various fingerings are not endless but plenty.

you can do melody on Octave, the stretch in 5ths can be challenging compared to guitar in 4ths, but with a little practice.

then try a tune, maybe one you can already play on either guitar or mando.

There are octave courses on Peghead nation and at Artist Works, there are a lot of you tube demos, but not many go into detail.

Enjoy!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

3. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Blog Entries

I'll share a wee maxim I often mutter when deciding between adding another course or not to my basic double stop approach on the mandoloncello; "clean always wins."

In other words if I can't get it tidy when practicing, then it's one for later on ,when I have things tidy & fluid when up to speed.
    Even then, often once up to speed the decision becomes obvious, the full sound might not give space to make the extra harmony settle in, or could be so fleeting as to not merit the risk of sounding scrappy or losing the flow. Initially I'd bend myself out of shape just because I could do it on the mandolin and thought it was therefore always worth aiming for. I've kind of realised that it's often better without, even when it's no real effort. Sometimes less really is more, especially if you want to let the voice or another player come through with their sound colouring.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

5. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

congratulations with your new toy. since you already play guitar and mandolin, consider the OM as a "two-in-one" machine. play it like a guitar, play it like a mandolin. you will discover OM's limits (no Django gypsy-jazz guitar chords, no mandolin chop chords) and advantages (seamlessly go between mandolin melody and guitar chords, lots of space on the fretboard, huge drone chords). For ideas, scout youtube. Start from Jim Richter's channel (his oldest stuff is the best).

7. The following members say thank you to mandocello8 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    I'll share a wee maxim I often mutter when deciding between adding another course or not to my basic double stop approach on the mandoloncello; "clean always wins."
    OK Beanzy, I have printed that out and pasted it in my practice area. Sometimes a simple three or four word aphorism can guide one through seemingly complicated musical decisions.

I have one of those extra wide Manhasset music stands, like music teachers and band directors have always had. And I have pasted more than a few short quotes and tips. They catch my eye just before I put something on the stand to learn.

Good stuff.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

9. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Beanzy 

Places to start:

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Octave-.../dp/0786686790

https://www.homespun.com/shop/hs_bouzouki1

https://homespun.com/shop/hs_mandolin16

Joe Walsh offers an OM course on Peghead Nation, but that seems like something to look into after you have played the instrument a while.

If Matt Flinner offers an OM course again in an upcoming session, you might find that worthwhile. He structures it as a multi-level class, so there is something for everyone in it, and he's a tremendous online instructor.

Like you, I played both guitar and mandolin before getting into OM. The first time I played one, I felt like I was fusing the guitar and the mandolin parts of my brain, using the guitar approach to fingering --- one fret per finger, rather than two --- on a mandolin fretboard. Because it has such a different tone, I find myself thinking of OM as a third instrument. I play it a little differently than both guitar and mandolin. They aren't entirely interchangeable for me, which I really like.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

11. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

Congratulations, the OM is a fun instrument to play. All the suggestions are great, I spent a month with the Joe Walsh course on Peghead Nation, but I am currently paused on that course, to go back to some mandolin stuff. Also take a look at Tim O'Briens course on Homespun. Its a good bridge and mix of Mando and OM. You can get the Tim O'Brien course right now for 50% off on the Homespun site. They have a Promo Code "Celtic" to use. Best of luck and enjoy the OM its a great journey.
    2022 Black A2-z #60
    1996 Summit Artist #99
    2018 Clark GBOM #208

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice, I'll be checking it all out and keeping the great tips in mind while learning.
    Lee Hill

14. The following members say thank you to Tiderider for this post:

John McGann’s book is awesome, but it’s more of a masterclass/repertoire builder than a beginner book. He give a lot of good beginner info in the initial pages, though. Like Marcus, I tend to use mine as a different instrument rather than interchangeable…and I also like that! Enjoy!
    Chuck

16. The following members say thank you to CES for this post: