Thread: Eighth note triplet pick direction on jazz tunes

Default Eighth note triplet pick direction on jazz tunes

Hi guys, I wasn't sure if this should go in the jazz forum but I was just curious if the general rule of thumb for playing eighth note triplets over a jazz tune would be DUD DUD as is generally the case in, say, Irish jigs? Sometimes I see an eighth note rest at the beginning of the triplet so I suppose it's situational but I was just curious to see how you guys play them. Thanks!

Default Re: Eighth note triplet pick direction on jazz tunes

That depends on the tune as sometimes I'd play triplets DUD, other times I would not pick every note but would pick the first note of the triplet and hammer on/pull off the others like a jazz horn player slurring. Other times might be DUD UDU or some other combination that works for the phrase.

It's also how I play the same material on guitar.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Agree with David it depends on the groove and the context for me but generally speaking

I naturally fall into DUD for swing triplets … even if only for a beat, and even if I don’t articulate each note but use slurs instead … it just feels natural to me to switch to DUD and also natural to use slurs frequently.

In fact, I posted a little lesson on it here, with PDF and video, using a couple of blues intros as exercises: https://theamateurmandolinist.com/20...iplets-in-4-4/
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Mar-19-2023 at 9:24am.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

4. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

DUD DUD gives us a distinct feel so I’d be likely to play DUD UDU for consecutive triplets unless the tune calls for that particular feel, as much Irish music does.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

6. The following members say thank you to Kenny for this post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWallace1 View Post
    Hi guys, I wasn't sure if this should go in the jazz forum but I was just curious if the general rule of thumb for playing eighth note triplets over a jazz tune would be DUD DUD as is generally the case in, say, Irish jigs? Sometimes I see an eighth note rest at the beginning of the triplet so I suppose it's situational but I was just curious to see how you guys play them. Thanks!
    I'm not really a jazz player but I do play standards with a somewhat jazzy feel (however, more often on the guitar) and my rule of the thumb would simply be: don't pick every note, use slides, PO's, HO's, formaxiumum expression and rhythmic variety- Whenever I want the snap of a picked triplet, I might use a favorite technique of mine: splitting the down stroke over the pair of strings, or dropping the pick from one course to the next higher one.

8. The following members say thank you to ralph johansson for this post:

Thanks guys! Yikes, I didn't even think of using hammer ons and pull offs! Mark, special thanks for the link to the lesson and your site in general. Very cool stuff! Thanks again!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisWallace1 For This Useful Post: