Thread: Scratch on satin finish fix?

Turku, Finland (born and raised Alameda, Ca)

Question Scratch on satin finish fix?

Hello all, I got a scratch running down my top from my strap's buckle scraping as I pulled it out of the case. The mandolin has a dark satin finish, no gloss.

I'm trying to figure out an easy way to fix it. The scratch is deep enough to feel with my fingernail, but not nearly deep enough to make me worried about structural damage. It luckily runs perfectly with the grain. When I asked r/Luthier on Reddit I got comments saying to use a wood filler pencil. But when I google about using wood filler pencils on instruments, everyone says not to do it. So I'm conflicted. Should I use the woodfiller? Grit my teeth and pay my local luthier to handle it? Maybe buff out the whole finish and gloss it up?

Default Re: Scratch on satin finish fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Wave-faring Stranger View Post
    ...I'm trying to figure out an easy way to fix it...
    There is none.
    A "satin" finish is difficult to repair/touch up to the point of being almost impossible. Color, level and gloss have to match nearly perfectly, and even someone very good at finish touch up will have a difficult time and require a certain amount of luck to get acceptable results.

3. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

What do you think would be the result of attempting to fill the scratch with a wood filler pencil? Even if it doesn't match perfectly, it seems darkening the scratch would at least make it less noticeable.

Is polishing/buffing the whole body to a light gloss an option? Seems that a polish may also fill the scratch, and I wouldnt say no to a shiny new finish.

What mandolin are we trying to fix, $50, 500 or 5000 instrument?

I think the unstated answer above is that you can make it a whole lot worse a lot easier than you can make it better.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

"Satin" (quotes because technically less-than-full-gloss finishes are somewhere on the spectrum from flat to simi-gloss, but I digress...) finishes are often done to save time and finish, and are sometimes applied very thin. Attempting to level the scratch and buff the finish might lead to sanding or buffing through.
    Filling the scratch with anything other than a perfectly matching finish (and I already stated the near impossibility of that) will likely look awful.
    A top refinish would be the best repair, but a good job will be expensive and one has to ask oneself; is it really worth it? Unless it is a very expensive and high quality mandolin (the type that seldom has a "satin" finish) I would answer "no".
    Easiest and cheapest thing is to live with it.

7. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

5,000, and only a couple months since it left the builder's hands.... whoops.

While I trust that it wouldn't fix the problem, why would it make the scratch look awful? Of course it may not fit the coloration perfectly, but surely a dark colored scratch would look better than a light colored scratch, no? Shouldn't we be going for lessening the contrast? I'm just having trouble picturing how that could make it look worse than the light coloration of the scratch as is.

Unfortunately it is an expensive and high end instrument, I specifically wanted a satin finish on it as I prefer the feel and look over a gloss. So it's not a case of a cheap instrument, just what I ordered.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandoscratch.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	784.8 KB 
ID:	206594

If it helps, here's a picture of the scratch

A picture would help. Without knowing what the scratch and the finish look like I can't know whether darkening the scratch would look better or worse.

(BTW, preferences are preferences and "satin" finishes are options for those who like them, I've done them myself for customers, but when it comes to finish touch up/repair, gloss is much easier.)

Ah, the picture wasn't there yet when I was typing that.
    It is so straight with the grain it looks more like a crack than a scratch... but I believe it could be improved through use of some matching color. I believe I could improve it with sepia ink, but other light fast coloring agents could be used by someone experienced with them.

13. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

just added a picture to the thread. If you can't see it I'll add it to this comment just in case. Lemme know what you think, and thanks for the help Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandoscratch.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	784.8 KB 
ID:	206595

The straightness is what scared me so much at first, but on inspection it is definitely not a crack, it's quite shallow. Seems to be dumb luck I got it that straight and to the edge of the body. So do you think it would be wise to take it to a local luthier and see if they can add some color? I'm alright with it still being visible, I like some scars, it just feels very pronounced right now.

First, send that pic to the builder and get his perspective.
    Second, ditch the strap with a buckle!

Greg Mirken
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California

I could not tell you why I bought a strap with a buckle, never making that mistake again. Pic to the builder is a good idea, thanks

18. The following members say thank you to Wave-faring Stranger for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Wave-faring Stranger View Post
    I could not tell you why I bought a strap with a buckle, never making that mistake again. Pic to the builder is a good idea, thanks
    That is NOT a scratch, IMO. NO WAY. You just cannot get buckle that close to the inside corner between the plate and the "side buttons" unless it is sharp as scalpel.
    I'd bet that what we are looking at is crack in wood that is underneath still quite fresh and flexible finish so you only feel slight dip on the surface especially if the finish didn't crack and just stretched. Also how it tapers to nothing at the end is not how typical scratches look. I can also see that there is slight whitish line continuing tiny bit along the edge of the fingerboard support which may indicate that wood has moved. Could be caused by low humidity... Have it checked in person by a good pro.

Since it is new mandolin your best bet at finish repair would be the original maker, he knows exactly what and how he applied....
    Adrian

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post:

Keep it as an honourable battle scar.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

I'll have it checked by a pro, but the original builder is on the other side of the world. I keep my room pretty closely humidity controlled and I've got a case humidifier for if I take it anywhere. But it is right where the strap buckle was lying in the case.

Adrian Minarovic

That spot is also one of the few places on F mandolin where humidity cracks start. The central part is sandwiched between the body block and the support and the spot where the support ends is start of 1/2" of weaker area as the surface of block underneath is typically minimal and there is no block on top. Further from neck the surface of body block underneath gets larger again and also the top gets thicker.
    Adrian

24. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

F-style Apostate

Try to get some light into it, with a strong LED flash light for instance, and take it into a dark room. That might give some insight into whether or not it's a crack. Be careful and don't ding the finish with whatever light you use.