Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: arthritis

Default Re: arthritis

At 76, I too have developing osteoarthritis in my left hand and find it bothersome playing tenor banjo and mandolin, especially reaching up to the high B. Along with Voltaren Extra Strength, I use Aspercreme -- both formulations help, but getting the fingers limbered up at home before a playing session is best for retaining mobility. I didn't find Arnicare to do much.
    Too many instruments...too little time

A good cbd cream is the answer for me, apply it 15 minutes before playing and fingers are pain free. Each person is different but for me it works much better than voltaren

Also, I stopped drinking alcohol a few months back because it causes inflammation, so I made the choice I would rather keep running and playing than having a few beers.

Thanks Jellwoo -- I did that too, feel much better!!
    Too many instruments...too little time

PLAY ALL NIGHT CBD SALVe been using about 18 months it really helps. You can get it ELDERLY Inst. Cumberland Acoustic {STEVE SMITH . Or buy from Marcic SHORE THE OWNER and maker. Golf clubs, PICKLE Ball clubs . I keep 3 tins on hand and it goes a long way. LOOK IT UP. MR. KEN. MaCBD.NET

my osteoarthritis is still in its infancy (and i hope it stays there) and seems to respond to rest. so i just don't play 7 days a week any more or longer than 3 hours at a time. And I had to retrain my hand to keep the wrist straight and find the best place to put my thumb, so you might want to look at your ergonomics. And i got a mandolin with a narrower neck, since the wider neck on my strad was sending shooting pains up my fretting arm from my affected thumb. This in addition to the other stuff (like surgery or topical or internal interventions) might also help.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I play an OM too and have left hand problems. Stretching is step one; fingers and forearm. Don't even think about 4 finger chop chords; double stops all way, maybe a 3 finger chord where that works. Pinky becomes your new best friend and most important finger. And it's ok to use a capo on an OM; Shubb has one the right size.
    Thanks to everyone for all the creams and other tips; we're all in this together.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yeah, 70 now and the hits just keep coming. Osteoarthritis, bone spurs, surgery, anti-inflammatory drugs, cortisone injections, and the list goes on. Heading in soon for a "small" procedure to free up a left hand tendon that is grabbing in it's "travel". Then stitches for two weeks. Here's hoping all turns out well. Playing without debilitating pain would be a win. Having faith is at times difficult. But we play on. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...