Thread: The Complete Collected Works of Raffaele Calace

Registered User Mandolin Deep Cuts's Avatar

Default The Complete Collected Works of Raffaele Calace

Hello All,

Does a complete book exist that encompasses all of Calace's works? I can't even seem to find a trustworthy listing of all of Calace's tunes. I've seen a few books here and there that have excerpts and such, but I'm thinking along the lines of the blue Bach Cello Suite for Mandolin book, except for Calace. Would it be too big? If this doesn't exist, I'll probably start making a public version soon. Calace's music rocks; let's make it more accessible!
    Mandolins: Labraid Grand Concert Jazz, Collings MF, Mowry Octave Mandolin
    Violins: Stratton Electric Violin, Cheap AF Violin I got off of Facebook Marketplace

Join the Mandolin and Friends Discord Server!

2. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Deep Cuts for this post:

Default Re: The Complete Collected Works of Raffaele Calace

Are you familiar with the federmandolino.it site?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe Bartl For This Useful Post:

https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Calace,_Raffaele

Maybe not everything Calace wrote, but a large bit of his oeuvre.

and particularly his method books

https://imslp.org/wiki/Metodo_per_ma...e%2C_Raffaele)

6. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

8. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Heed Joe! Once Calace's work entered public domain, the family made it all available via http://www.federmandolino.it/wp/spartiti-music-scores/.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

Registered User Mandolin Deep Cuts's Avatar

Hello All!

I really appreciate all the information. I'll respond to everyone below:

* Joe Bartl: I have come across the website and pulled down a lot of the scores before but I wasn't sure if everything was there. (I personally prefer a more modern typeface for my sheet music, don't hate me!) I did a little more digging and came across this PDF, which I believe is exactly what I need. It's a complete listing of everything he's done! Thanks

* DavidKOS: Dude, I love your posts here just FYI. I absolutely hit up IMSLP whenever possible! I have the reissues of Calace's method books from Caterina and Mike, and they're awesome! I waited like 2 years to get them. Still working my way through them. Caterina's ArtistWorks class is helping but it's tough stuff for me. I'm currently stuck on the Salve Polka.

* Tim Logan: Yes sir, I have those! See my response to DavidKOS please

* Eugene: Gotcha! I didn't know that everything was there.

I hate to ask another question; is there anybody who has "graded" these pieces for difficulty? I know Chris A has a repertoire list, where he casually grades baroque and classical tunes as intermediate or advanced. I'd love something more robust tailored specifically for mandolin. Something like the ABRSM, but for mando! I love their graded repertoire list.
    Mandolins: Labraid Grand Concert Jazz, Collings MF, Mowry Octave Mandolin
    Violins: Stratton Electric Violin, Cheap AF Violin I got off of Facebook Marketplace

Join the Mandolin and Friends Discord Server!

12. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Deep Cuts for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Deep Cuts View Post
    a complete listing of everything he's done! Thanks

* DavidKOS: Dude, I love your posts here just FYI..
    Why, thank you!

I personally prefer a more modern typeface for my sheet music, don't hate me!
    No hate appropriate. The facsimiles can be difficult to read. The scans of hand-written quartet parts, e.g., can be almost impossible to decipher in sight reading. Some scores have some pretty substantial error (e.g., the systems for the guitar accompaniment to the VI Mazurka, op.141, are completely out of order, the sequence on the page being 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, page break, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18; imagine trying to read from that!). There are some accidentals on wrong notes in denser piano accompaniments (e.g., op.131). I tend to use notation software to make modern typesettings of many of the Calace pieces that I intend to perform.

I don't know that anybody has graded all the Calace works, although there are certainly differences (e.g., op.141 will be much less strain on most mandolinists than op.131). I don't know that there's a consistently graded system for much dedicated mandolin repertoire in general. If any Cafe regulars do know, I suspect it would be Bob Margo or possibly Niel Gladd. Mandolin repertoire is certainly not as systematically approached as the UK's Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music has imposed on guitar music.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

A Japanese publisher did issue a comprehensive set of books of Calace's works. I've seen some of them.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

17. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

* Joe Bartl: I have come across the website and pulled down a lot of the scores before but I wasn't sure if everything was there. (I personally prefer a more modern typeface for my sheet music, don't hate me!) I did a little more digging and came across this PDF, which I believe is exactly what I need. It's a complete listing of everything he's done! Thanks
    I haven't registered on this site to download but it looks like this person may have transcribed all the Gemme Oriental pieces, some of which on FMI are in handwritten notation.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    A Japanese publisher did issue a comprehensive set of books of Calace's works. I've seen some of them.
    I have volume 1, 2, & 4 published by Suiseisha Music Publishers part of the largest publisher in Japan. I don't know what year they were published or whether they are still in print. Each volume that I have ends with a method book. I don't know whether the pieces in each volume are related to the method books.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CalaceJapanCvrs.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	621.7 KB 
ID:	206760
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

20. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: