Thread: Old Gibson Date and Pick Guard Replacement

Default Old Gibson Date and Pick Guard Replacement

A neighbor in her 60's says that this Gibson mandolin belonged to her Grandmother. The pick guard had deteriorated and fallen off. She wants me to replace the pick guard. Any recommendations on a period correct replacement source?

After reading the forum about dating issues on Gibson's I thought I would ask for help there as well. The only serial number I could find was in a F hole. See photo. It appears to be 494 followed by a C and then a 5 written in pencil followed by a pencil check mark.

Thanks
    Don

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3211.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	565.7 KB 
ID:	206693

Name:	IMG_3208.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	206694
    Last edited by N129DD; Mar-21-2023 at 3:38pm.

Default Re: Old Gibson Date and Pick Guard Replacement

Welcome to the Cafe!
    Your attachments are not working. They are marked as invalid.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Thanks Charley. I believe they are there now.

Don

4. The following members say thank you to N129DD for this post:

The C tells us it is 1937. The number shows it to be an A-00 and the case would be original as well. You could make a copy from celluloid although replicas are available. Post some photos of the pickguard close up. The discolouration on the case lid suggests that the original pickguard is "gassing off" and it should be kept away from the instrument.

I'm pretty sure that it's a 1937 A-1. An A-00 would have a internal back brace.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Teacher, repair person

The "C" indicates a 1937 factory order number.
    That particular number is listed in Spann's book as belonging to a batch of A-00's.

That model would almost certainly have been shipped with a tortoise colored celluloid guard, unbound, with a metal support rod and a metal mounting bracket that attaches to the edge of the mandolin with a single screw. The guard itself would have been similar in shape to those found on the more common oval hole mandolins from the late 1910's. The bracket would be similar in design to the brackets on 1930's Gibson L-7 archtop guitars.

Finding an original guard and bracket in good condition will be difficult and expensive, but it is fairly easy to make a reproduction. If you have difficulty finding a pattern, you can pm me.

We know that Gibson did some odd things at this time. The mandolin ought to have a basic bridge- the one we see may be a replacement but it could be an adjustable original. The mandolin may have had a carved back instead of the pressed version with a brace. If it was an A-1 I would expect the flat tailpiece with the Gibson embossed cover.

The second photo from the OP shows the original pickguard with the bracket along with vintage Gibson picks and a cool little pouch. They have value.
    Last edited by Charles E.; Mar-21-2023 at 5:43pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

That sure looks like a wide body to me. The case screams that too. How wide is that mandolin?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    They have value.
    Only if they aren't outgassing.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I noticed it seems to have a bound back like an A-1, but a clamshell tp like A-00. Then I found this: https://vintage-instruments.com/shop...mandolin-1937/ Dang if it isn't the same instrument!

Teacher, repair person

OK, so you've got the old guard and the hardware.
    All you need is a sheet of plastic, some solvent based cement, and a few hand tools.

The original material was celluloid. If you want to use it, celluloid sheet stock of sufficient thickness is available from Axiom Inc. www.axinc.net. It's expensive, and there's a hazardous materials shipping surchage that seems to go up every time I look the stuff up.

If you don't want to pay the price for celluloid, Stewmac sells a thick acrylic sheet that is also suitable, their part number 1700.

You can make the support block that secures the rod to the bottom of the pickguard by laminating several pieces of the sheet stock together, using your cement to do the job. Duco cement works well on celluloid. If you get the acrylic, you can try the Duco, but if it doesn't work, a plastic model builder's cement probably will. Either is available at Ace Hardware.

If you don't want to make it yourself, several of us can do the job for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    I noticed it seems to have a bound back like an A-1, but a clamshell tp like A-00. Then I found this: https://vintage-instruments.com/shop...mandolin-1937/ Dang if it isn't the same instrument!
    Actually, it appears to be a different instrument, but with the exact same characteristics, including a deteriorated pickguard.

Teacher, repair person

It is a different instrument, but may very well be from the same batch; and from the factory order number the OP gave us, we know that there were at least 5 instruments in that batch.

You nailed it! Looks like the same instrument type without the pick guard.

The body is 10 1/16" wide.

Thanks
    Don
    Last edited by N129DD; Mar-22-2023 at 1:23am.

Thanks everyone! A lot of good information from these responses! I am a hobby guitar builder and restorer. The original pick guard shape can be determined from the two pieces I have. I will check the resources mentioned and make a replacement.

I have been working on harp guitars ca. 1920's and building new replicas. If you have any interest in these see www.niteowlguitars.com

Thanks
    Don Druckenbrodt
    Fredericksburg, Tx

Email: N129DD@sbcglobal.net

Name:	IMG_3215.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	206706
    Last edited by N129DD; Mar-22-2023 at 1:25am.