Thread: Help request - finding brand, model, year info

Default Help request - finding brand, model, year info

Hi - I've had no success searching on this bowl back mandolin. Would greatly appreciate any clues from members who may have a moment to help. It has 39 ribs not including the 2 larger end ribs. Pearl inlays crescent moon and stars in fingerboard. Unusual carving detail where neck meets body. Unfortunately the label in side is badly aged but I do not think I can see any brand or serial # on it anyway. Pics attached and super thanks in advance to any / all who chime in. Archerson
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando Headstock.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	887.5 KB 
ID:	206686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando Headstock 1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	206687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando Bowl.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1,015.2 KB 
ID:	206688  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando Soundboard.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	206689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando Neck.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	881.9 KB 
ID:	206690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando Whole Fretboard.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	502.4 KB 
ID:	206691  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando Label.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	206692  

Default Re: Help request - finding brand, model, year info

It may have been made by Bauer and possibly sold by Sears, Roebuck. Very nice mandolin.

Here is an earlier thread which shows the Sears Acme label.

https://mandolincafe.com/forum/threa...63#post1864463

Here is an old catalogue from that link:

https://digital.hagley.org/20120329_...age/1/mode/2up

The headstock inlays follow the same design motif as your mandolin- a flower in a vase:

http://www.billsbanjos.com/Acmemandolin.htm

Wow! Thanks very much NickR. Everything you shared makes perfect sense. After alittle further digging in, the only thing I could expand on to further help someone with a similar model question in the future is apparently S.S. Stewart was known for Banjo neck carvings and I also saw fret board inlays in half moons and stars on Banjos. So it seems he had a heavy hand in this particular model with the Stewart & Bauer name. Also the label you shared looks to be a fit as well. Assuming Acme being the distributor / retailer. Many thanks again! - Archerson

It is clearly early 1900s and if Acme was a Sears brand as many suggest, then it is pre-1915 as in that year Sears, Roebuck created the Supertone brand which lasted until 1940 when it became Silvertone- a name which Sears already used for other music products. About the same time as your mandolin was made Montgomery Ward had a similar very glitzy brand called Thornward and you can see the guitars and mandolins but they were probably made by Lyon & Healy in Chicago. There is often a bit of educated guesswork with some of these instruments sold by third parties but I think with yours, its attribution is pretty certain.