Thread: Another Carbon Fiber Mando on the way...this time from Klos

Default Another Carbon Fiber Mando on the way...this time from Klos

I have a bug for a carbon fiber mandolin for back porch use and especially to take camping with me. No worries about leaving cf in a sweltering hot car or having it damaged by drastic temp and humidity swings. Also great for when I travel for work and need to leave it locked in the car when it's often freezing cold out (I live in Western NY).

I see that Z Mandolins had built a batch and they look pretty incredible but it was a limited run and I can't find any info on whether or not they plan on making more. I also saw that another company (the name of which escapes me) was posting here about building some cf mandos but I guess it never came to fruition.

I own a full carbon fiber travel acoustic guitar made by a company called Klos for the situations I described above and it's terrific for a small body guitar. This same company makes other cf instruments including a full-size acoustic guitar and ukuleles. I had inquired with them about a cf mandolin and recently received notification that it's a go!

Not a lot is known at this point, I guess they're still designing it. But it should be out in a few months and sounds as though it'll be reasonably priced, too. Much less expensive than Z mandolins although pricing hasn't been announced yet.

If this sounds interesting to anyone, check out klosguitars.com and look under the "coming soon" dropdown. There's a brief survey where you can sign up to get notifications when it's released. I'm excited to see what they come up with and I fully intend to buy one. My travel guitar is very well made and I would love a worry-free mando even if it comes with some compromises compared to a fine wood instrument.

Does this excite anyone else?

Edit: I realize that this being my first post on this forum this could be suspected of being a thinly veiled ad but I promise it's not! I have nothing to do with this company. I just want a nearly indestructible mando to enjoy along with my guitar.

Default Re: Another Carbon Fiber Mando on the way...this time from Klos

Looks more like a survey than they will be selling soon. I would like to see some carbon mandos on the market though

True, what's on their site is a survey. But I did receive email confirmation that it's actually in the works now and will be released in the coming months

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

There was already a recent thread on this that even had a Klos representative reply to it.

Oh no kidding, I hadn't seen that. Gonna take a look. Thanks!

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Hadn’t seen that one. My internet stalking skills must be slipping
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

At least as far as the subject of pickups is concerned ,you can use the wooden dazzo pickups in those(IF you want that) and in that basis you are introducing wood into the electronics end o things