Thread: JamKazam?

Default JamKazam?

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if I'm posting this is the right forum since it's a question on online jamming but I was wondering if anyone has (recently) used JamKazam? I did a search before posting this and it looks like the last comments were a little over a year ago so just wondering if they've made any improvements on the latency issues (or any other improvements for that matter). Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: JamKazam?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWallace1 View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm not sure if I'm posting this is the right forum since it's a question on online jamming but I was wondering if anyone has (recently) used JamKazam? I did a search before posting this and it looks like the last comments were a little over a year ago so just wondering if they've made any improvements on the latency issues (or any other improvements for that matter). Thanks!
    Sorry I didn't catch this post earlier...

I'm still hosting and administering a Wernick-style JamKazam bluegrass jam at 4pm Pacific Time daily. This jam has been active since the onset of the pandemic.

We average between 4 and 8 people from all over North America in this online jam, although it varies as it always has; I haven't seen any notable consistent changes in that regard. I send daily automated invitations to about 42 people. I am aware of at least a few other people who also host jams of bluegrass and other genre, multiple times a week.

I haven't seen any user-visible updates to JamKazam since about a year after they started charging. That's ok though, the service is pretty consistent and most of us who are around all the time are acquainted with the important bugs enough to work around them. When they were upgrading often, it was hard to know what to expect. For those of us who pay in the top 2 tiers, JamKazam still has pretty decent helpdesk support.

We very consistently use StrumMachine as a backing track to help keep time and it dramatically helps hide latency. Actually with StrumMachine, most of the time we don't notice much if any latency.

Most of us who attend these sessions still say they are a great way to jam and have really been a godsend since the pandemic. While most of the active jams on JamKazam only use audio, the jamming communities have formed and they are pretty tight. Technically JamKazam can be pretty challenging, but being able to jam daily with people across the continent and to get to know them as musical friends is pretty amazing.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

3. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Blog Entries

Another regular user of JamKazam and Mandolin Cafe is MickyG. I used JamKazam for a while playing and talking before they started charging fees. The experience, compared to Zoom was similar except that JamKazam was quite technical in terms of connecting. It was far better for playing music and if I had regular friends on that platform, it would certainly be worth the money and technical challenges.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

5. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Another regular user of JamKazam and Mandolin Cafe is MickyG.
    I am the person that DougC referred to above. I've been using JamKazam (JK) for over 8 years. While the requirements are steep (microphone, audio interface, headphones & a wired Internet connection), I find it is worth the expense and effort. I connect every day with friends in Austin,Texas, the Twin Cities and (sometimes) Seattle. We play from a list of over 100 traditional Irish tunes - reels, jigs, slides, polkas and hornpipes. With fiber optic Internet, the experience is best but standard cable is acceptable (WiFi is not). Our experiences vary from day-to-day - some days are great, some are Ok, but rarely unworkable. It can be frustrating but if you're patient, JK is a great way to keep in contact with distant musical friends. Unlike most other on-line jamming apps, JK allows video (as well as audio, of course).
    PM me if you want help connecting to JK.

MikeyG
    Last edited by MikeyG; Mar-26-2023 at 9:58am. Reason: fix spelling error

7. The following members say thank you to MikeyG for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
    ... microphone, audio interface, ...
    Possibly worth mentioning, JK is pretty tolerant of microphone and audio interface hardware variations...

I purchased a new relatively high-end HP laptop in early 2020, which included an embedded stereo sound system featuring 2 mics. I've been using that with JK since then, with no additonal external audio interface, even using the standard Windows WDM driver (not an ASIO driver). Latency is low and surprisingly I get high marks for the driver from JK's config report ("Excellent Audio Driver: Windows WDM-KS").

So depending on the system involved, an external audio interface and special mics may not be required for JK.

However, being able to successfully wade through the assortment of configuration processes is required. With the complexity, though, there are a lot of things that users have control over, many which, at least on a good Internet traffic day, make the service work really quite well.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]