Thread: Hohner f Style mandolin information

Default Hohner f Style mandolin information

Hello everyone,
    Just joined the site and looking for any information on a Hohner F-Style mandolin. I found a piece of a label inside with Japanese writing, however, not enough to know what it says. It appears that it is difficult to find information on these. Someone has shared with me that it could be a '90's instrument made in Japan by Moridaira. Appears to be all solid wood construction but have not cleaned it up or set it up yet. If anyone has any information about this instrument, I'd appreciate any insight, information or value.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7751.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	206714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7752.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	517.9 KB 
ID:	206715[ATTACH=CONFIG]206716
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7753.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	206716  
    Last edited by gennis; Mar-22-2023 at 2:28pm. Reason: duplicates of photos

Default Re: Hohner f Style mandolin information

I don't know anything about your mando, but that DeArmond "Monkey on a Stick" pickup looks mint. If everything works on it, it might be worth something in itself.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

3. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

I am not so sure the DeArmond mandolin pickups bring the big bucks. I know certain of the guitar ones do. Possibly Rhythm Chief?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Never seen an instrument with as much stuff stuck on the font, I'm sure it can't help the sound or playability.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

I would assume by the the fact that it has a two screw truss rod cover (assuming there is a truss rod under it) that it probably was made in Japan in the 80's. As you already have surmised the pickup was an add-on. I would be surprised if it's stuck on permanently but I'd have to see it. Good chance that the top is solid and maybe the rest. I don't know if you'll ever truly ID the company that built it but it looks like what I would expect from an instrument from that era and country of origin. They didn't quite get the scroll right but most of the other builders didn't either. Good luck with it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Smile Re: Hohner f Style mandolin information

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I would assume by the the fact that it has a two screw truss rod cover (assuming there is a truss rod under it) that it probably was made in Japan in the 80's. As you already have surmised the pickup was an add-on. I would be surprised if it's stuck on permanently but I'd have to see it. Good chance that the top is solid and maybe the rest. I don't know if you'll ever truly ID the company that built it but it looks like what I would expect from an instrument from that era and country of origin. They didn't quite get the scroll right but most of the other builders didn't either. Good luck with it.
    Thanks Mike. Nothing is permanently attached. It actually is a pretty need system on how everything mounts...pads under certain components, others floating. It is a D'Armond model 500 from 60's - 70's I believe. It is removed very quickly and in excellent condition. I am familiar with the guitar versions and they are very sweet. I disassembled the system to start a deep clean! Another thing that is cool is the pick guard...it is translucent in its lighter areas! Were these common? Anyway, thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    Never seen an instrument with as much stuff stuck on the font, I'm sure it can't help the sound or playability.

Dave H
    Hey Dave...luckily, nothing is permanently attached! Some components have felt pads and others floating. While they mount and are removed very quickly, I have taken it off to deep clean.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

As the owner of numerous Hohner button accordions....imagine my surprise at seeing a Hohner-labeled mandolin.

Alas, there is another version of MAS at play (melodeon acquisition syndrome.)

As Gennis describes, I doubt they were made by the same folks at all, but it is a curious decision for them to choose to get into that territory.

Or they might simply have licensed their name out?

I'm sure I'll be shortly finding out that there Hohner branded tubas, banjos, synthesizers etc.

Our great friend, Sheri, hates the sound of Hohner accordions, but I enjoy their slightly wheezy, wet sound.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Interestingly enough, my first acoustic 6-string guitar (some years ago as a teen) was a Hohner guitar, made in Japan...an all solid wood beauty. -Greg

It very closely resembles (the scroll, binding, finish, no blocks at the neck joint, etc) an Ibenez I bought in the 1970s. As pointed out about, the two-screws in the truss rod cover points to it being a step or two above the more current Korean/Chinese junk.
    too many strings

NMC, but Prince played a Hohner telecaster copy for most of his career. Legend has it that he bought it at a gas station (used) for $30...

I'm starting to sense a pattern here....Bill Monroe buying his mandolin at a barber shop, Prince at a gas station...well, maybe not enough to be a pattern, but a couple interesting alternatives to the stories of instruments found at flea markets, yard sales, estate sales, pawn shops, and of course, music stores.

13. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post: