Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip V - Northern Lights Music

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Road Trip V - Northern Lights Music

Today I took a road trip to Northern Lights Music in Littleton, NH. Nestled in the heart of New Hampshire's White Mountains, this store is literally a "hidden gem." A dealer of Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Collings, and Klos products, there are many delights to be had.

What had me getting in my car and driving for hours was a Bourgeois M5-A, f-hole A-body mandolin. One look at the beautiful antique blond finish on their web site, and I knew I just had to play that mandolin. With a torrefied Adirondack spruce top & torrefied maple back & sides, I wanted to hear if it sounded as good in real life as it seemed in my head that it should.

I have only every played one other torrefied acoustic instrument before, an Eastman E-20 OM, rosewood back & sides and torrefied Adirondack spruce top. While it had a beautiful sound that I remember thinking was "chimelike" when I played it, I ended up going with a different guitar, my much beloved Eastman AC422CE, rosewood back & sides and regular Sitka spruce top. But I wanted to hear the torrefied Adirondack spruce Bourgeois M5-A.

Arriving at the store, I saw that there were several guitars & mandolins out in the general area for customers to pick up and try. The Bourgeois, however, was kept in the back room with the "good guitars," each affixed with a "Please Request Assistance" tag under the strings. An employee quickly came by to take it down and let me try.

Having never played a wide nut mandolin before, I started off fingering several open & movable chord forms that I normally finger by fretting two courses with one finger. This was something that, when I first picked up the mandolin after playing guitar for a good long while, I simply assumed would be forever impossible. But it seems that a while ago something just "clicked," and ever since I take every opportunity to fret two courses with a single finger, just like God and Bill Monroe intended.

The 1 5/32" nut on the Bourgeois M5-A was not an impediment to fretting two courses with one finger, but I was most definitely fretting the two inside strings and muting the two outside strings. But aside from that it was no impediment to chords, scale runs, double stop runs, or single note melody.

The volume & projection were exactly what you would expect from an F hole mandolin. As was the tone. Very clear and bright. Exactly what you would expect. Exactly. It sounded "like a mandolin."

Usually after playing an instrument in a store like this, I'll slyly quip to the employees "Yeah, I guess I don't play a $2000 mandolin any better than I play my $200 mandolin." But in this case I was playing things I had been practicing with my mandolin teacher for a couple of months. Sitting back in the Good Guitar Room, I kept asking myself "Does this sound two, four, or ten times better than the mandolins I have at home?" As much as I wanted for it to be so, I couldn't make myself say "yes." This left me wondering about the upcoming Bourgeois M5-F, the f-body mandolin from Bourgeois that's due to hit the streets sometime this summer. And for a full thousand dollars more that the twenty-something hundred dollar a-body M5-A.

I returned the mandolin to the store employee. Before I left, I asked for any news about the Klos carbon fiber mandolin, but they hadn't heard anything other then "coming soon." He did offer to let me try a Klos carbon fiber ukulele, though. I smiled and excused myself. I proceeded to my car, and headed south, back toward civilization and home. But as my car reached Concord NH, I found myself turning off the highway for Strings & Things Music in Concord.

Strings & Things usually has at least one Eastman 500 series mandolin on their wall. I wanted to play an Eastman 500 series mandolin while the memory of the Bourgeois M5-A was still fresh in my ears.

I headed to the acoustic room, but before I could ask to play an Eastman I was brought up short by a used Tacoma M-1 flat top mandolin. I had to take it down and give it a go. I'd played this mandolin several times already on previous visits to Strings & Things. With a wide nut, the mandolin played and sounded very nice. Not in the same league as the Bourgeois M5-A I had just played, but at less than a quarter the price it definitely was "punching above its weight." In good condition, and with good feel & tone, this mandolin was going to be a real treat for whoever ended up with it.

I put the Tacoma back, found an employee, asked him yet again to please sell the Tacoma to someone before I bought it, and asked to try one of the Eastman mandolins hanging on the back wall.

Not a 500 series, but an Eastman 615-GD, f-hole, f-body, Sitka spruce top, maple back & sides, and factory installed pickup. They offered to let me try it plugged in, but I wanted to compare the acoustic sound. There was definitely a difference to the feel, probably the neck profile. And a slight difference in tone. I don't know if I could attribute the difference to simply Adirondack spruce vs Sitka spruce, or torrefied vs non-torrefied, but it was there. And without actually playing them side by side I really, honestly couldn't say which one was "better."

One small, tiny difference that was playing a LARGE amount of havoc with my brain was the large, rectangular fret markers on the 615-GD. Stupid as it might seem, I found them really distracting.

Any mandolin players who finds themselves vacationing in the New Hampshire lakes or white Mountains regions, you owe it to yourself to stop by Northern Lights Music in Littleton, NH or Strings & Things Music in Concord, NH. Sooner would be better if you want to have a go on the Bourgeois M5-A or the Tacoma M-1.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dan in NH For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Road Trip V - Northern Lights Music

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    ..But it seems that a while ago something just "clicked," and ever since I take every opportunity to fret two courses with a single finger, just like God and Bill Monroe intended.
    Ha! I love that. Great report, Dan. I was in Littleton about a month ago. Didn't even know about that store.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Right on Main Street, but the signage is subdued and easy to miss.

5. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

They also has several Seagul mandolins like their S8 2 point.

Thank you for the report, Dan!

Great shop! I was looking for a guitar with maple back and sides to get away from any potential problems traveling with rosewood and they had three down there. I traveled down and was helped by Dan, the co-owner. One was out of the question on both price and build style so I bounced back and forth between an intriguing Martin and a Collings SJ. Loved the Martin ... but it was a color I already had in my crayon box. The SJ just did it all. Dan was great at playing both guitars for me and sharing his thoughts. The Collings made the trip home and ain't goin' nowhere. Great service in an easygoing atmosphere. The Littleton Diner just down the street from them is a great place for food.
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk Loske View Post
    The Littleton Diner just down the street from them is a great place for food.
    Multi-award winner for Best Pancakes in New Hampshire.

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk Loske View Post
    ... The Littleton Diner just down the street from them is a great place for food.
    That's the reason I was in Littleton
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    That's the reason I was in Littleton
    Northern Lights is the same side of the street, like 10 doors down.

A quick follow up.

According to Reverb and their website, the Manchester Music Mill has a used Eastman 815/v on hand. I plan to swing by between work and my mandolin lesson this evening and have a go.

I played the used Eastman 815v at Manchester Music Mill in Manchester NH. From the pictures on the Mill's web site I was a little afraid that there was a crack where the scroll, body, and neck meet. Turns out it was just a flaw in the finish, like the stain was applied over wood that had some glue still on it.

The mandolin is actually in very good condition, and the bridge stands tall and proud. I didn't have a lot of time, so I played some chord progressions, some single note melodies, and some chops. I very much WANTED to love the mandolin. After playing, the only sense I got was that it REALLY needed new strings, a little tweek to the bridge to lower the action ever so slightly.

As it was it was nice, probably worth the asking price, but I just didn't fall immediately in love with it.

It did make me feel good that this was the second used Eastman 815/v to show up for sale in my local area, third if you count one that was listed privately a few towns over. My jar of bottle caps & loose buttons is growing. Once the jar is full I feel more confidant about being able to find a lifetime mandolin in my price range.

Another update.

According to the Northern Lights Music web site the Bourgeois M5-A has been sold.

I hope it was one of you guys! Gratz to you if so.

Do they still have the pianos out on the sidewalks in Littleton?
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Yes. Several people were playing them

A quick follow up.

According to Reverb and their website, the Manchester Music Mill has a used Eastman 815/v on hand. I plan to swing by between work and my mandolin lesson this evening and have a go.
    Gonna go up again after work tomorrow and play it some more. I was rushed Tuesday.

I just wanted to say I always enjoy your road trip posts Dan. They're always well-written and entertaining even if I don't have any interest in owning an Eastman.

I wasn't able to make it to Manchester Music Mill last night, so I went today.

I played the 815/v some more, and it was a very pleasant experience. Again, I was left with the impression that it needed a fresh set of strings and a good setup. But even with old strings I was nice sounding and easy playing. With a little love & tweeking this mandolin is going to make someone very happy.

It was a lot harder giving it back this time.

Can't you ask them to change the strings, or do you have to be a serious buyer (whatever that means)?

And the 815/v that was at the Manchester Music Mill is now gone.

Hope it was one of you guys!

The 815/v has shown up again on Reverb and the Music Mill website. That’s good news for anyone in the market. I highly encourage anyone within driving distance to swing by the Manchester Music Mill and have a go on this Eastman. It strikes me as a nice piece.

Dan, I hope I am not hijacking your thread but I know your fondness for the Eastman 815-V mandolins. This Eastman 814-V really looks good to me. The only thing I wish is that they would not hide the back figure so much.

https://www.theacousticshoppe.com/sh...-x70754274.htm

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Yes, very nice. I already have an F body oval hole, though. And I do agree with you, the black hides the flame maple. I do love flame maple.

An excellent shop for sure....but
    "But in this case I was playing things I had been practicing with my mandolin teacher for a couple of months."

Thats how practice works. Practice isn't for the day of...its for months down the road

So the 815/v at Manchester Music Mill is back. Again. So far this is the second time it’s disappeared from the Mill website and reappeared. This time it’s not being advertised on Reverb.

This leads to me to wonder if it was somehow purchased twice and each time returned. And why on earth would that happen?

This is like an Eastman 615 blonde that’s currently on Reverb at a drastically reduced price. The ad says the current owner is the third owner. Why do the owners keep putting it up for sale?

I wish I liked that Eastman 815/v more the last two times I played it. Maybe I’ll go up this weekend and play it again.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I wish I liked that Eastman 815/v more the last two times I played it.
    I think you answered your own question.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5