Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

Default Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    I am really looking forward to the release of the new album from Mighty Poplar this week (Bandcamp pre-ordered!). Great lineup of "modern" players from some of the bands already mentioned, but, per the M&B podcast with "Critter" just out (and the early releases), it's very traditional.
    Quote Originally Posted by acharman View Post
    Yes tastes vary. I am not a fan of traditional old-fashioned bluegrass but I do like some bluegrass adjacent or bluegrass influenced music.
    From the preview tracks, I get the sense that the upcoming album will be traditional, but not old-fashioned in the straight-outta-Appalachia sense.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

2. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Yes tastes vary. I am not a fan of traditional old-fashioned bluegrass but I do like some bluegrass adjacent or bluegrass influenced music. So I'm interested in sampling some contemporary bluegrass or developments from bluegrass to see whether any of that appeals and to see what common licks, phrases, approaches etc may be useful to me. ... I'm sorry for all the Monroe worshippers but I don't like his playing nor do I like the undue influence he has held over the mandolin world.
    I know a 5-string banjo player who is actually quite good at playing bluegrass (and not so at playing the 5 in other genres). I got to know him going to bluegrass jam sessions. He actually said that he does not like to play bluegrass. This struck me as odd. If I didn´t like to play a genre I just would not.

It might help to know what music you like.

I think that practically every bluegrass mandolin player has founded his playing on Bill Monroe. I cannot think of one good mandolin player who is not (heavily) influenced by Bill Monroe. All of the extremely good modern and progressive mandolin players, Chris Thile, Sierra Hull, Dominic Leslie, Justin Moses etc. all draw heavily on the Monroe influence. It is instantly noticable if you listen to them.

So if you are into music that is played like bluegrass but "ain´t" I think you should look for "The Cleverlys", "Hayseed Dixie", "Run C&W" and the likes.

Even far out recordings like the Punch Brothers´ interpretation of Tony Rice´s seminal recording "Church Street Blues" draw on the classic Bill Monroe thingy.
    Olaf

4. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

Brian Oberlin has the mandolin chores for Full Cord - a powerhouse of a bluegrass band from Michigan. They won the IBMA Momentum Award last year.

https://fullcord.bandzoogle.com/home

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Soper For This Useful Post:

Greensky Bluegrass is a group that I like. They have some good original songs and put a nice spin on some old (Dead, Pink Floyd, etc) rock songs.
    Last edited by EricG; Mar-31-2023 at 9:58am.

8. The following members say thank you to EricG for this post:

I get lots of my new modern Mando ideas from the Mandolin and Beer podcast’s guests, have started listening to at least 30 new bands I didn’t know about just from this source. Learned many little nuggets of info too.

10. The following members say thank you to Jellwoo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    Still 3 days wait for the release of the Mighty Poplar debut project. Killer musicians...bound to be outstanding!
    Dropped today!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV1...OXzWEyAQVNsfug

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doc holiday For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    I think that practically every bluegrass mandolin player has founded his playing on Bill Monroe. I cannot think of one good mandolin player who is not (heavily) influenced by Bill Monroe. All of the extremely good modern and progressive mandolin players, Chris Thile, Sierra Hull, Dominic Leslie, Justin Moses etc. all draw heavily on the Monroe influence. It is instantly noticable if you listen to them.
    There are some "good, modern, progressive" players who more likely drew from the jazz and violin world: Don Stiernberg, Isaac Eicher, Jason Anick, Paul Glasse, and Aaron Weinstein, for example.

I realize the thead topic is about modern bluegrass suggestions, but to say that all good mandolin players were heavily influenced by Bill Monroe might be a stretch. Just my 1.5 cents (2 cents reduced by inflation).

I can suggest two bands which are regionally known and feature outstanding mandolinists: Barley Jacks and Monroe Crossing.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James Vwaal For This Useful Post:

Not too modern but I often recommend The Seldom Scene as a gateway into this music. Their first four albums are a good starting point. They are still an active band with non-original members.

16. The following members say thank you to John Gardinsky for this post:

Greensky Bluegrass has already been mentioned... they can really rip:

But also gotta add Yonder Mountain String Band (still good, but not what they used to be):

and Infamous Stringdusters:

18. The following members say thank you to Caberguy for this post:

and Leftover Salmon (not strictly bluegrass... but Drew's playing his Nugget in this one):

And Railroad Earth (again, not strictly bluegrass):

20. The following members say thank you to Caberguy for this post:

Most impressive "bluegrass-adjacent" band I've seen this year is Twisted Pine with terrific mandolin playing by Dan Bui.

Here is a great live clip from February 2023:

Bren

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by James Vwaal View Post
    There are some "good, modern, progressive" players who more likely drew from the jazz and violin world: Don Stiernberg, Isaac Eicher, Jason Anick, Paul Glasse, and Aaron Weinstein, for example.

I realize the thead topic is about modern bluegrass suggestions, but to say that all good mandolin players were heavily influenced by Bill Monroe might be a stretch. Just my 1.5 cents (2 cents reduced by inflation).

I can suggest two bands which are regionally known and feature outstanding mandolinists: Barley Jacks and Monroe Crossing.
    You are absolutely right!! But the OP´s question was about bluegrass. That is what I responded to.

It would be extremely short sighted to forget Carlo Aonzo (!!! can´t put enough exclamation marks here), Dave Apollon (!!!...), Jethro Burns, Tiny Moore, Avi Avital and many more if we would focus only on the mandolin without limiting it to a genre.

I wish there would be way more visibility for Aaron Weinstein. He is a true craftsman when it comes to really interesting mandolin music.

But alas, the question was about bluegrass.

What I would not like to do is to get into a question about who is more inventive, more interesting, more more, BM or DS etc. That does not lead me anywhere. I think that if you are looking at bluegrass you cannot get away from the heritage. And that includes a certain musical language. And that language is dominated by Bill Monroe.
    Olaf

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grassrootphilosopher For This Useful Post:

the complexities of William Smith Monroe, as much a showman and business man as he was a musician, for all the instrumental string band music he composed and performed, its really the songs and high lonesome singing (and the buck dancing) that he is celebrated for (at least by non mandolin players). I can't believe how many songs we have tried in the jams that we thought were traditional but come to find out are credited to Monroe.
    Elvis covered "Blue Moon of Kentucky" but who really knew at the time it was a Bill Monroe song beyond the immediate circle of Bill Monroe fans?

I like many here - did not care much for Bill Monroe's music when I first heard it, I remember liking "Girl in the Blue Velvet band" but also noticing it sounded very similar to some of his other songs. The rest was too high, tinny and fast for me to make any sense of and I still don't care for High Lonesome singing including the Stanley Brothers (sacrilege in some circles) but I can appreciate the effort that goes into it.
    So when folks like Grisman and Norman Blake and Sam Bush and John Hartford were talking about the Monroe influence and how important it was to "American" music, I again tried to dig deeper into Monroe's recordings, but still could not get my head around it.
    Then I heard his solo mandolin rendition of "out on the ocean" (could not find the video) and I could not believe the sounds he was making out of that little wooden box. I went back and listened to Doc Watson and Bill Monroe and it started to warm up on me. Then I started playing in a working band and we had to do Monroe so I learned Road to Columbus, Wheel Hoss, Gold Rush and so on, and learning the tunes gave me more of an appreciation for Monroe. So those who don't care for Monroe- give it time, it can be an acquired taste.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

26. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    You are absolutely right!! But the OP´s question was about bluegrass. That is what I responded to.

It would be extremely short sighted to forget Carlo Aonzo (!!! can´t put enough exclamation marks here), Dave Apollon (!!!...), Jethro Burns, Tiny Moore, Avi Avital and many more if we would focus only on the mandolin without limiting it to a genre.

I wish there would be way more visibility for Aaron Weinstein. He is a true craftsman when it comes to really interesting mandolin music.

But alas, the question was about bluegrass.

What I would not like to do is to get into a question about who is more inventive, more interesting, more more, BM or DS etc. That does not lead me anywhere. I think that if you are looking at bluegrass you cannot get away from the heritage. And that includes a certain musical language. And that language is dominated by Bill Monroe.
    Thanks Olaf. I’ll check out some of those non-bluegrass names, some of whom I’m sure I have heard. And there is a very high chance I might take to some of them a lot quicker than I do with bluegrass. It does seem like the closer music is to traditional bluegrass the less it appeals to me. But I am still sometimes pushing myself to listen to more so that I can try and appreciate it more. I’m not sure what exactly it is that doesn’t grab me - not the age necessarily as celtic, flemish, old-time etc appeal and they are older.

I'm a big fan of the hard driving tight modern sound. To me it has a lot to do with the push/pull dynamics of the backing,
    particularly in terms of the whole band coming in strong on the first beat when an instrument starts a solo. To me this is
    Something the traditional bands did not have.

Hard to explain, but this jam video of Lou Reid's Blue Kentucky Wind demonstrates it well I think. Most of those players actually
    are performing with top acts today. Check their other clips out as well.

https://youtu.be/oy0aKndjtgA

If you like this I can recommend the following bands:

- Blue Mafia (Hanging Tree Album)
    - Hammertowne
    - Sideline
    - Junior Sisk
    - Lou Reid and Carolina

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galley nipper For This Useful Post:

They aren't a bluegrass band and I'm not trying to say they are, but I am a big fan of Rising Appalachia, who have deep roots in fiddle and banjo music and traditional singing.

They are, to my mind at least, a very forward looking bunch, and their appearance - nose rings etc, is not at all like traditional bluegrass. They know their stuff though, and their main fiddler Duncan Wickel is about as good as it gets.

Probably not to everybody's taste, but I should think some of you might enjoy them. No mandolin however.
    David A. Gordon

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

in hindsight, traditional high lonesome Blue Grass is an acquired taste and some may never come to really like it, but Good Lord I could listen to this all day and into the night.

Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

33. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    in hindsight, traditional high lonesome Blue Grass is an acquired taste and some may never come to really like it, but Good Lord I could listen to this all day and into the night.

Yes I find some traditional bluegrass an acquired taste that I haven’t been able to acquire. This version was good though. i listened to segments of a couple of Monroe’s versions which I didn’t enjoy at all - personal taste but I found this version with a more relaxed tempo, more tasteful playing and no annoying Scruggs-style banjo far more enjoyable.

The Banjo too can be an acquired taste, and I found it somewhat tiring myself, with a few exceptions like Bill Keith, Tony Trishka, Eric Darling, Bela Fleck, Jens Kruger, Noam Pikelney. Some of these modern players generate something akin to Indian classical tambora for Sitar Raga accompaniment, or even long sonorous string orchestra movements.
    Doc Watson and Gillian Welch play very endearing banjo but it is not Scruggs style.
    Some really major Bluegrass albums have no banjo- Tony Rice Unit "Manzanita" for example , I recall how they talked about the lack of banjo drone opening up space for the other instruments to set the groove.
    One might argue albums like Manzanita and the David Grisman Quartet are departures from traditional Bluegrass.
    I have come to appreciate Scruggs style, especially in local jams where the banjo helps keep things rolling along.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

36. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    The Banjo too can be an acquired taste, and I found it somewhat tiring myself, with a few exceptions like Bill Keith, Tony Trishka, Eric Darling, Bela Fleck, Jens Kruger, Noam Pikelney. Some of these modern players generate something akin to Indian classical tambora for Sitar Raga accompaniment, or even long sonorous string orchestra movements.
    Doc Watson and Gillian Welch play very endearing banjo but it is not Scruggs style.
    Some really major Bluegrass albums have no banjo- Tony Rice Unit "Manzanita" for example , I recall how they talked about the lack of banjo drone opening up space for the other instruments to set the groove.
    One might argue albums like Manzanita and the David Grisman Quartet are departures from traditional Bluegrass.
    I have come to appreciate Scruggs style, especially in local jams where the banjo helps keep things rolling along.
    It's mainly the "typewriter clacking" Scruggs style that I don't warm to. I like the banjo by some players in some contexts (eg Abigail Washburn, Bela Fleck, Rhiannon Giddens) but where I like it it tends to be other approaches than a strict Scruggs style or players who can give the music some space to breathe. I do tend to prefer some of the playing styles without thumb & finger picks or with a nylon string banjo. But the constant harsh incessant Scruggs style is a significant part of bluegrass and I can see that the harsh metronomic sound could keep a jam rolling along and cut through other instruments.

It's mainly the "typewriter clacking" Scruggs style that I don't warm to. I like the banjo by some players in some contexts (eg Abigail Washburn, Bela Fleck, Rhiannon Giddens) but where I like it it tends to be other approaches than a strict Scruggs style or players who can give the music some space to breathe.
    Interesting, interesting.

This thread will lead to some significant analasys.

I think of the strict Scruggs style banjo as something that apart of the melodic input serves as a rhythmical lightpost.

In a jazz combo the drummer`s playing supports the fellow musicians rhythmically as well as providing his own spice. Therefore the drum must provide a basic rhythm concept (in bluegrass banjo that would be "the roll") while adhering to the music (this is the musical part in Scruggs banjo with an emphasis on pauses, backup licks etc. which, if they are played well - like Scruggs, Crowe, Osborne etc.) emphasize the melody.

There is nothing more annoying than playing with a musician who is totally ignorant of the aforementioned role. There is a technically brilliant and quite well known player whose playing I simply adhore because of the fact that he continually plays without ever stopping and without reflecting the musical score in his playing.

If you listen to "Foggy Mountain Banjo" a Flatt & Scruggs recording of traditional fiddle tunes you will find the concept described above perfectly executed. What tires me in that recording is that it is so banjocentric that if you don´t take it as a banjo learning record you are overwhelmed by just one instrument. But if you take the Flatt & Scruggs "Live at Carnegie Hall" or if you watch the youtube videos from the Martha White TV appearences watching and listening to the music is an ear opening experience (to my mind).

I do think that much of old traditional bluegrass is recorded not in a listener friendly way. But think of the Karajan recordings at the end of WWII where you hear the bombs falling on Berlin. In these cases recordings receive another drift. It may not be about the music alone.

On a side note. Bela Fleck recorded "Perpetual Motion" a CD of classical music played on the banjo with some international classical music stars. Or listen to Noam Pikelney plays Kenny Baker plays Bill Monroe.

And if you want to give it a read, "Bluegrass Breakdown: The Making of The Old Southern Sound" by Robert Cantwell has a quite educational chapter on how the music is put together right. This is insightful inasmuch as you might understand why you don´t like some bluegrass. It helped me to play better bluegrass.
    Olaf

39. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Galley nipper View Post
    I'm a big fan of the hard driving tight modern sound. To me it has a lot to do with the push/pull dynamics of the backing,
    particularly in terms of the whole band coming in strong on the first beat when an instrument starts a solo. To me this is
    Something the traditional bands did not have.

Hard to explain, but this jam video of Lou Reid's Blue Kentucky Wind demonstrates it well I think. Most of those players actually
    are performing with top acts today. Check their other clips out as well.

https://youtu.be/oy0aKndjtgA

If you like this I can recommend the following bands:

- Blue Mafia (Hanging Tree Album)
    - Hammertowne
    - Sideline
    - Junior Sisk
    - Lou Reid and Carolina
    I believe Lonesome River Band has a significant influence on this vein or branch of bluegrass. I've heard it called "Contemporary Bluegrass" and it IS NOT "Jamgrass". This: "the whole band coming in strong on the first beat when an instrument starts a solo" and often on the first beat of verses and choruses is definitely a signature of this vein or branch of bluegrass. Lot's of songs in B and Bb as well. Mash It!

It would be interesting to see a diagram similar to a phylogenetic tree for the various off-shoots of bluegrass as well as to see such a diagram that shows where bluegrass branched off from other American roots musics. Talk about a cool thesis project for a lucky music school student.

Mighty Poplar has been mentioned before but yeah I second that!

It's somehow progressive and traditional. The players are virtuosos but yet there's not a note wasted to showmanship or a random time change. It feels like a late night jam but also well arranged. I can't describe it very well I guess but it's my favorite bluegrass album since Steve Earle and the Del McCoury band released The Mountain.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I forgot about Del, thanks Chuck.
    If I was to introduce someone to High Lonesome I might play them Del McCoury before I play them Bill Monroe.
    If anybody does it right its Del.
    You could say Del McCoury is the hair of Bluegrass.
    and Rob McCoury is a master of Scruggs style, yet I would say he is one that does not over do it.
    The classic line up of Del on guitar and vocal, Ronnie mandolin, Rob Banjo, Jason Carter fiddle, and Alan Bartram on Bass , all masters of thier instruments and the style, is a living breathing American treasure.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

43. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Check out the Dan Tyminski Band. A killer player and vocalist with a brilliant young band.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax4KeFALfw8