Thread: Gotoh 510 F style tuners

Default Gotoh 510 F style tuners

Has anyone got their hands on the 510 version of the Gotoh mandolin tuners? They look intriguing to me and I can’t imagine they cost as much as waverlies. Northfield put them on their highest model and that is about the only place I have seen them. Here is the northfield page about them:

https://www.northfieldinstruments.com/gotohdeluxetuners

Gotoh link:

https://g-gotoh.com/product/mf510r/?lang=en

I’d like to get a couple sets in brushed nickel with black buttons, but I inquired with JA parts, the North American distributor for Gotoh, and in the reverse gear worm under post version you have to order 30 sets. The Gotoh I have on my northfields are fine, I just like the aesthetics of these much better. Nothing wrong in function on mine, these just look way better.

2. The following members say thank you to curiousdave84 for this post:

Default Re: Gotoh 510 F style tuners

I'm actually really happy to see these. I have said for years that someone should just make plain classic looking tuners. Gotoh makes great tuners. I'm also happy to see the nod to tradition with slot headed screws. I hope they make it onto the secondary market in both worm over and worm under configurations. If they actually had someone selling the buttons in this country that would be a bigger plus. Those are great looking tuners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MF510R-MM-1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	206788  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Adrian Minarovic

Their gears look quite similar to the new Rubners with the "hex cap" on the end of worm. They also have worm above set (#510 withour R suffix) on their web which will be interesting to some folks.
    Adrian

I think they would sell pretty well if they are reasonably priced. Not sure what the price point is, but even at $200 a set I think they would do well. I do agree that not being able to find just the buttons anywhere is frustrating, but Gotoh has a weird policy about selling just the buttons. These 510 versions appear to have the same buttons as the current lower level gotoh that are on a bunch of mandolins.

I do like the slot head screws. It appears they even changed the screw that holds on the buttons to slot head.

I haven't tried these yet as all my mandos have quality machines already. I have used their 510 open backs on my D18 and they are very smooth and predictable, a big step up from the Sta-tites. Of course their closed back guitar tuners are the absolute creme de la creme, albeit weird looking. At least with the closed backs, the 510s are made in Japan not China, thus the higher price (and precision)

I don't know if they are available from anyone other than Northfield or even if they are using them yet. I'm looking forward to seeing them although I'm pretty locked into the Waverly tuners I'm using right now but you never know.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I can confirm Northfield is currently using them on their 4th gen F5. All other models (artist and below) get the cheaper Gotoh (MF40r). I hope they make it into the secondary market soon, but I doubt they will. Northfield is not allowed to sell just the tuners due to their arrangement with Gotoh, and ordering 30 sets as 1 person who has 2 mandolins is not practical. Maybe we can round up enough people to order 30 sets. I'll put my name in for 2 sets.

I like the looks of Waverly's and that you can get buttons for them, but I just can't bring myself to spend $400 on a set.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I'm actually really happy to see these. I have said for years that someone should just make plain classic looking tuners. Gotoh makes great tuners. I'm also happy to see the nod to tradition with slot headed screw If they actually had someone selling the buttons in this country that would be a bigger plus. Those are great looking tuners.
    I've used these TK-0997-0E0 ebony Wood Buttons for Gotoh Mini Guitar Tuners on a set of F-style tuning machines on my Morris.

Also the TK-7728 buttons should work.

The only problem is you need 8 and they come in sets of 6, so I have 4 spares.