Thread: Any Members In Northern South Carolina? Southern North Carolina?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Any Members In Northern South Carolina? Southern North Carolina?

I'll be in the above-mentioned area till the end of the week. Wondering about any mandolin-related or similar activity nearby - jams, pickin' parties, gigs, sales, or just folks wanting to get together and share some time with pickin', grinnin', and/or sippin'. Not strictly bluegrass.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: Any Members In Northern South Carolina? Southern North Caroli

I'm down in Myrtle Beach. We've got a small crew getting together ( @longbayfolksociety - www.longbayfolksociety.com ) on Sunday afternoon at Huntington Beach State Park around 2. Might be able to gather a small crew for a possible Thur night jam depending on where you are.
    Long Bay Folk Society
    Old-Time, Bluegrass and American Roots Music Nerds
    Little River ~ Myrtle Beach ~ Pawleys Island ~ South Carolina

3. The following members say thank you to Trader Todd for this post:

Not sure what part of South Carolina is the Northern part. If you are in the Greenville, Spartanburg area there are a couple of Friday night bluegrass jams. On is the Oolenoy Community center. It has two jams going on at once. In the main room on the left there is a slower country/gospel jam. The room on the right is a pretty good bluegrass jam. Runs from about 7-11 PM on Friday night.
    In Chesnee there is Homespun Bluegrass it is a bluegrass gospel jam from 7-9 then from 9-until, usually well after midnight it is bluegrass. Oolenoy and Homespun are acoustic only with the exception of the bass. Both are non alcohol.
    Also forgot to mention on the second Saturday of the month there is a bluegrass jam at Table Rock State Park held in the lodge. Runs from about 1-6 PM.
    All of these are pretty accessible from any where in the upstate region.

Adam

5. The following members say thank you to addamr for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks, guys. I thought I should have been more specific about my location, but I also wanted to get as much input from as wide an area as possible. I'm in Dillon, just south of the border (in more ways than one), which is just off I-95, between Florence and Lumberton, so more of NE SC, I suppose. So Spartanburg is a bit of a haul. Even Myrtle Beach is a ways away. Oh well!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Oolenoy Fri night. Pumpkin town. Locals and pretty friendly. joe

8. The following members say thank you to Central Joe for this post:

Yes sir that would be a pretty good haul.

Adam

Blog Entries

So I'll reiterate this request, as it has increased in importance, due to my impending move to the area. Yep. by the time October rolls around I'll have begun my new life in my new home in my new stomping grounds - Northeastern South Carolina, just west of North Carolina. Yep, things are a bit confusing in these border areas, this one more than most, I reckon. I might just say "Carolina" and leave it at that - but why miss out on the fun?

While it's been quite an eventful 21 years in the Keys, some times better than others, it's time to move on. It's gotten so summer as almost all year long, and I can't handle heat like this all the time. Plus it's not like there's a whole lot going on for me here that I couldn't do elsewhere, anywhere, and een though there are theoretically a lot of opportunities - gig shifts three times a day, every day, at dozens of places - the phone hasn't been ringing off the hook. And, again, I'd have to drive in, set up, do the gig, load out, and drive home in this unrelenting heat.

So the notion of living in peace and quiet and solitude and comfort, along with seasonal changes and stars at night, is immensely pleasing. Plus I'll have a room that I can turn into a genuine, bonafide, for-real recording studio. Thats what I've wanted since forever, and soon this dream is going to be realized. Who needs to fuss with playing out when I can create the music I want to hear right at home. Though a bit of getting together with some pickers now and then would be nice. Let me know if anyone's in the general vicinity, and we'll see what happens.

Oh, and Charles E. wins the prize for being the last to see me in these environs, as well as for the most visits - three, if I recall correctly.

11. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

Oh, forgot to ask - are ther any luthiers in the area? I know there are some in Asheville NC, and that's only some 260 miles away ...

Here's a sneak preview of the new setting for House Of Dreams Studio. Re-recorded the main lead for "Feelin' Groovy" there that night.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230828_210304.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	209378 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230828_230001.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	209377

seba.org. Darlington, maybe 25 miles from Dillon. They have a monthly gathering--jam, concert
    They meet at Grand Old Post Office, which also hosts concerts/workshops (Emory Lester was there last year)

While seba is bluegrass focused, I think it could be a good place to network for other acoustic music

Best of luck. I grew up outside Darlington, near a swamp, hot summers and lots of mosquitoes. I haven't lived there since 1978--when I ran up on a mosquito making love to a turkey, flatfooted, I had enough............
    Russ Jordan

14. The following members say thank you to Russ Jordan for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks for that. Darlington is just outside of Florence, which is just a zippity-doo-dah down the interstate. Bound to plenty of rednecks hankerin' after some NASCAR, but mebbe some bluegrass, too. I can handle bluegrass once a month. Might have to put this plate on the front of my van:

Name:	BGPD+.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	300.6 KB 
ID:	209380

BYW, it's sebga.org - seba.org is something ... else. And it seems it's not entirely an open mic these days:

Come visit the Grand Old Post Office in Darlington for LIVE Bluegrass Music first Saturday of every month. There will be a time for jam beginning at 4:00 PM, open stage will begin at 5:00 PM and the first band will perform at 5:45 PM. The second band will begin at 6:30 PM.

Still, yes, plenty of opportunities for networking. Thanks!

Name:	SEBGA Logo.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	209381

I'm not averse to doing a bit of driving now and then. Things are different on the mainland than around here, where people get very, ah, insular. Gas is cheaper there, too. I've grown quite fond of Shuler's Barbecue in Latta, probably make that trek once a week.

Oh, and thanks for that image of interspecies love.

Thanks for the correction. If you’re driving from Dillon, taking 34 from there to Darlington through the Pee Dee River swamp is a nice ride.
    Russ Jordan

Blog Entries

That's exactly what the wiki said! Well, maybe not the swamp, exactly, but 33 miles on 34. I've already learned the state roads are great - good condition, 55 mph - so I've been planning routes accordingly, incorporating these direct routes when I can.

Blog Entries

I haven't figured out the state road numbering system yet. Like there's a road 17-28 near me, and even my road has a name and a number. That's new to me. It makes for some interesting street signs. But I've heard people saying stuff like that when they're giving directions, so I guess they're used to it, and I can be, too.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I haven't figured out the state road numbering system yet. Like there's a road 17-28 near me, and even my road has a name and a number. That's new to me. It makes for some interesting street signs. But I've heard people saying stuff like that when they're giving directions, so I guess they're used to it, and I can be, too.
    I live on a state highway, and my road has both a name and a number. I use the number for directions and the name for mailings.

Moving is an adventure. Hope you love your new community, JB
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Journey Bear, I came across this tune by Georgia Parker and thought of your move...

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

Thanks. A little south of North Carolina would be South Carolina, but it could also be Georgia, and here we have Georgia ... It can get confusing. That's why I like saying I'll be in North East South Carolina, just West of North Carolina - not just because it's funny, but it's true - and a little confusing. I'll add to the confusion by saying she's not from SC at all, but lives in Texas. And is originally from England.

That is one fancy schmancy snazzy banjo there!