Thread: Back Cracks. Appropriate String Gauges.

Default Back Cracks. Appropriate String Gauges.

Hi,

Just bought an old 1945 Levin 330 mandolin. The mandolin is in good shape apart from the back which is battle scarred and sports about half a dozen cracks. These look to have been poorly repaired, no cleats just glue used. Probably done decades ago

I’m going to strip down the hardware and replace the decrepit strings and then see how it plays and sounds. Looks like the existing strings are phosphor bronze EJ74’s or equivalent.

Should I worry about the back if I string it up with mediums again? Top is fine.

Basically I want to see how it sounds without spending anymore money. If it sounds good then I’ll think about whether it makes sense to look at doing something with the back, which is not as bad as the photo makes it look, but probably should be addressed if it’s a good sounding mandolin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D42440E-7CD3-414D-AA9A-7EDFB1811D3D.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	468.8 KB 
ID:	206827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D42440E-7CD3-414D-AA9A-7EDFB1811D3D.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	468.8 KB 
ID:	206827

Regards

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Back Cracks. Appropriate String Gauges.

Are you sure those are cracks all through the back? They appear like a cracked outside veneer of a laminated pressed back that was exposed to humidity and then dried.
    If it is laminate and someone injected the cracks with glue it should hold just fine. Even if they were indeed through cracks in solid wood the back doesn't carry as much of the string load as top so if theey are glued and stable and back is firmly glued to rim you should be OK with standard sets of strings that can normally be used on such mandolin.
    Adrian

3. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Hi Adrian,

When I look through the F holes with a torch I can see most of the cracks and can see some evidence of glue coming through them.

From research I believe they are all solid wood. The top certainly is, the back is such a mess after someone attempted to clear up the glue residue , that it harder to tell, but I think it’s solid too.

The glue has a translucent yellow look.

Name:	F68A9BD1-2360-489D-99CF-29195CDE4409.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	506.3 KB 
ID:	206828

Regards,

PS still enjoying my Hogan F5!

Adrian Minarovic

They look like humidity cracks the back got wet and dried too fast or too much. Perhaps the back was pressed or made from slab cut wood which is more proneto such cracks. Anyway, since they follow grain and look to be stable and glued there shuldn't be problem caused by string tension. You can string it and use lower tuning and look for any movement. After week tune up a step and wait/seewhat happens. Then again up to standard pitch...
    I couldn't locate any reliable info on backs, whether it is solid or laminated or carved vs. pressed. Perhaps some better pics could telll more, or someone who owns one will comment.
    PS: what number is your Hogan?
    Adrian

6. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Adrian,

My Hogan is #16 from April 2016. You may remember that after your suggestion I got it from Jan M who was awaiting his McClannahan.

In terms of the Levin. The 330 data sheet says that the top is spruce and the back and sides flamed maple with mahogany neck. It says that both front and back are arched, but only specifically says that the top is carved, so you might be right about the back being pressed. The back is one piece (unlike the top) and also has a single lateral brace on it following the path of the bridge.

Name:	E28BB766-01D6-4E49-99C0-1534CC263398.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	450.8 KB 
ID:	206830

I’m just an amateur hack, so would it be worth trying to clean the back with naphtha and then adding a coat of varnish or would that be taking an unnecessary risk. I don’t intend selling it, but just want to to make sure it’s structurally sound as best I can.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Hi,

Needed a new bridge. Put that on and restrung it and it sounds nice enough. Pity about the back, but no one will see that.

Name:	EAE05644-D5FD-402E-A550-6B39AC0D6079.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	530.9 KB 
ID:	206903

Regards,
    Last edited by mandrian; Apr-04-2023 at 11:07am.