Thread: Any suggestion for a gear back pack?

Default Any suggestion for a gear back pack?

I am outgrowing my old back pack that I used to haul the gear for a three band. Currently using the Falko Tactical (https://falkotactical.com/products/f...tical-backpack). Honest disclosure, I don't pack light and believe in having a back up for the back up. Biggest single piece of equipment that has to fit is a Tonematch 8 which is 12" x 9" x 4".
    I prefer a back pack style and opposed to hand carry as it cuts the number of trips. Anyone using something they recommend? Thanks Jim

Default Re: Any suggestion for a gear back pack?

Besides the Tonematch, how much gear are we talking about? For mandolin gigs I use an old camera backpack with different compartments designed to protect lenses. I carry my clip on mic, my preamp pedal, an SM57 and SM58, three mic cables of different lengths, batteries, mic clips and other assorted pieces of gear. The different compartments help keep things protected and organized. I keep strings, picks, tuner etc in my mandolin case.

When I'm doing gigs on electric bass I carry a larger old north face backpack repurposed as a gig bag. I need more space to carry speaker/mic/instrument/power cables. I use a Bosch drill case as a packing cube inside the north face bag for some of my cables. The camera bag would be too small.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to treble For This Useful Post:

Chrome Industries makes very durable bags, AFAIK it’s still a bike messenger favorite.

5. The following members say thank you to bigtoothmando for this post:

JimKo 

In addition to the Tonematch there are 4 mics, chords, power strips, extra chords, mando stand, and back ups for almost anything that can go wrong. There are no music stores for many miles and the average drive to gig is 30-45 minutes. The current rig weighs in at just over 26 lbs. The backpack holds 50 liters. Probably need at least 60. Thinking of trying this one but not sure how solidly it is built. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    The Chrome Industries packs look well made.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Hit your local Army Surplus store if you have one. It will be durable, large, and not very expensive.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

8. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Question Re: Any suggestion for a gear back pack?

REI had a Backpack dry bag Made for them , By another company in seattle?
    Cascade designs/ or Seattle Sports ...

I took my A mandolin's hard case to test fit it, & it rolled closed to keep things dry..

A Bigger one comes in under the category Portage Pack - a big dry bag with shoulder straps ..
    Portage is when you carry your canoe over your head to walk between bodies of water..

the pack bag would have all your stuff in it..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture