Thread: Waverly for Gotoh Swap

Default Waverly for Gotoh Swap

I have read through the archives and am unable to find a definitive answer regarding this.

It appears that if you swap Gotoh MF40r for Waverlies, everything seems to line up except for the bottom screw hole for mouting the tuners. Looks like it may need a plug and redrill.

Can anyone confirm that has done the swap? Looks like the last 2 screw holes are 26.2mm apart on gotoh (lowest 2 holes) and 23.13mm apart on waverly. Maybe it is splitting hairs here since 3 mm is not very much, but I know waveriles like to be aligned just right.

Thanks

Default Re: Waverly for Gotoh Swap

Quote Originally Posted by curiousdave84 View Post
    I have read through the archives and am unable to find a definitive answer regarding this.

It appears that if you swap Gotoh MF40r for Waverlies, everything seems to line up except for the bottom screw hole for mouting the tuners. Looks like it may need a plug and redrill.

Can anyone confirm that has done the swap? Looks like the last 2 screw holes are 26.2mm apart on gotoh (lowest 2 holes) and 23.13mm apart on waverly. Maybe it is splitting hairs here since 3 mm is not very much, but I know waveriles like to be aligned just right.

Thanks
    I went from Gibson Grover's to Waverly tuners so I can't speak directly to the Gotoh's. You'll probably have to fill and re-drill a screw hole or two. If you haven't seen it I documented the switch here:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ed-the-trigger

Hopefully the screw holes that need to be filled will be covered by the tuner plates.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I went from Gibson Grover's to Waverly tuners so I can't speak directly to the Gotoh's. You'll probably have to fill and re-drill a screw hole or two. If you haven't seen it I documented the switch here:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ed-the-trigger

Hopefully the screw holes that need to be filled will be covered by the tuner plates.
    Hey do you still have the bushings for the Gibson Grovers? I have a set on my mandolin but didn’t have the bushings, and I want to replace the old gotoh bushings for the originals that go with the tuners, I guess I should say they are gold as well. <Removed by Moderator-Posting Guidelines>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jun-10-2023 at 7:29am.

We limit commerce to the classifieds. Things like this should be in a private message. Both sets I own are silver. With that said the Gibson Grover's on my F5G had similar bushings to the Stewmac bushings that look like the old grommet type but I see they don't sell them in gold either.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...tuner-bushings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4227.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	704.7 KB 
ID:	207992  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Question Re: Waverly for Gotoh Swap

Ah the 'You First, tell me how it went' type post..

I went the other way , bought a Used CF Mix A5 ... Past guy had crammed on Waverly tuners Damaging them in the process.
    the post hole spacing needs to be spot on.. you fix the holes rather than push the tuners in.

I Bought Stew Mac's Imported tuners got the black button version.. they tolerated the slight mismatch.

The Waverlys went back to Stew Mac for repairs, they tried, then replaced them. I resold the sealed boxed set.. for SRP.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture