Thread: Acoustic/Electric Mando in $2,000-3,000 Price Range

Smile Acoustic/Electric Mando in $2,000-3,000 Price Range

Hi, y'all!! A friend of mine asked me for suggestions for purchasing an acoustic/electric mandolin and said he would like to stay in the $2,000 to $2,500 (maybe 3k) range. I shared some general information with him about mandolins in that price range, but it was mostly about acoustics. The only combo mando that I own is a 2004 Gibson F-9 that has an added "pickup" (there's another term for what it really is--there is a chord plug at the tailpiece and a wire that runs to the bridge, but it's not technically a "pickup". A transducer I think it's called.). I have a cheapo electric mando (Dillion is the brand), but that's not what my friend is looking for.

Anyway, after all of that, do any of you have recommendations about what type of mandolin he might want to look at? I mentioned to him that I've seen an Ovation acoustic/electric in a local music store here in Olympia, but I wasn't particularly impressed with it. But, other than adding a pickup or transducer to an acoustic mando, I am just not familiar with who makes combo mandolins and what might be a good choice in his price range.

Thank y'all in advance for any suggestions you can provide!!
    Old Dog Dave: Do the best you can, as long as you can, and all the rest is gravy.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30
    Dillion Electric (Rickenbacker style)

Default Re: Acoustic/Electric Mando in $2,000-3,000 Price Range

Have him check out Jonathan Mann's hollow-body electrics. http://www.manndolins.com/em--4-5-8.html
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

they may be harder to find but the original Rigel models like G110 and CT110 or even the A delux models make pretty good dual purpose mandos, I have the G110 and have no intention of selling I used it as a stage mandolin for a couple of years sounds great plugged in and works well in multiple genres.
    I have no idea about the quality of the Goldtone Rigel copies.

Finding a 2-3K mando with a KK or other pickup already installed is not hard to do, so can always go that route, I can't say one brand is better than another with a pickup installed, I have K&Ks in most of my instruments, the plugged in sound is not bad except for maybe my oval hole octave where it is very muddy on the bottom end.

Ovation mandolins also sound very good plugged in and are generally easy to play, I wouldn't say any I've heard sound great unplugged.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

This niche is one Steve Carlson’s Zeta mandolin was designed to fill (if you can find one):

https://zetaviolins.com/mandolin-acoustic
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Don't forget if you use a K&K, or something like it, you need a good preamp. There are several, some expensive, some not so bad. I like the RedEye. Installation of the transducer can alter the sound. You can glue it in, use putty, or tape. I chose to use tape and glue, then tape and glue. I get a great sound and have had many compliments on the sound of my mandolin. The putty is a warmer sound, and not as hot. I like the double layers of tape glued in, it warms the sound, but has plenty of power.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Is less money an option? The Eastman El Rey covers a lot of great tones. Also, Jonathan Mann offers options at that price point. A used Rigel is great is a piezoelectric pickup works for your friend.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

If your friend isn't into the Dillion, I wouldn't recommend one of Jonathan Mann's mandolins. I have a couple and they're light years better than the Dillion line but are in the same vein tonally, IMHO. They're a lot more resonant than a solid body, of course, but they don't sound like an acoustic mandolin.
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

Thanks to all y'all for your input. I very much appreciate it and I know my friend will be most appreciative. I will be interested to see what he winds up with and I will share it on this thread once he's made a purchase. (While writing I am sitting here listening to Earl Klugh--what a sound he gets from his nylon-string guitars!!)
    Old Dog Dave: Do the best you can, as long as you can, and all the rest is gravy.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30
    Dillion Electric (Rickenbacker style)

Olga Egorova used to play a Godin mandolin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKaqlchSR1Y
    (edit, found a video with better sound quality)
    Godin mandolin through effect boxes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSJb4JoQ8Fo

Another vote for Rigel. I really like my CT-110. Zeta is a good choice if you can find one, or, get a used Collings MT, Northfield A style, etc, and add a K and K pickup. Good preamps can be found in the 100-350 dollar range.

If your friend is going to play mostly plugged in Ovation is a pretty solid choice, though I agree unplugged they are lacking a bit.

Good luck!
    Chuck

for premap I wasn't crazy about the fire-eye, it had good volume but it didn't have enough tone balance, the L.R. Baggs Para di I think had the best tone, but the battery only power had its limitations and no foot switch ( in live bluegrass we would often step up volume for solos and then step down for backing rhythm), I later moved to a sure uni-directional mic, which I found took a little effort but the volume and tone where much better.
    L.R. Baggs also has the venue model with footpedal and ac power adapter, which I also had but thought the tone was better through the Para di.
    I have a Berringer Tube Ultragain, bet never used it on stage.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"