Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another mandolin stand question

Default Another mandolin stand question

So I'm going to be involved in a performance where, in a medley of two pieces, I go from playing a djembe drum on one to mandolin on the other. I'll have about 4 bars of music to grab the mando and get ready to play, so I have to be able to grab it quickly whilst being very nervous about the whole performance . It's a smaller group that's part of a larger group, so we have to move to the front, so I can't really bring my case with me, plus the drum is bulky enough to shift.

I've decided I need a small folding stand for my mando. (I won't be using this at home due to cats.)

Anyway, last night I spent some time looking at old threads and stands and bookmarked half a dozen possibilities. Right now I am thinking about this Nordic Essentials stand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R93D210...v_ov_lig_dp_it because I like the way it adjusts for different depths. (I tried my SOL with armrest in someone else's stand, and it didn't fit, it was too "thick" and wouldn't sit down on the legs. When I got my armrest, I had to go with a viola clamp, as the violin one was to small for my mandolin)

Here's my question: The listing cites "Silicone Rubber Pads for Instrument Protection". Do I need to worry about these damaging the finish of my instrument? That would be a knocker for this particular stand.

Thoughts?
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Default Re: Another mandolin stand question

I’ve used a few different styles including the really small Fender micro acoustic stands and the Amazon Basics folding stands. They all work fine but have different levels of compactness v. stability.

My current favorite for travel use the Hercules EZ Pack folding stand.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ustic-electric

It’s very light and folds down small and flat. But it has good stability. The legs can be adjusted to be narrower for mandolins. The yellow tabs have light spring a fold down out of the way for wider instruments (or mandolins with tone-gards and arm rests.) it’s made out of a hard rubber. I haven’t had any finish damage or issues.
    Last edited by Mando Esq; Mar-31-2023 at 1:45pm.
    Eastman MD515 mandolin
    Gretsch G9310 mandolin
    Eastman MDO305E-SB octave mandolin
    Eastman E20om guitar
    Vega Little Wonder tenor banjo
    Epiphone El Capitan acoustic bass

I've had good luck with this budget model: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Sue, if space for transporting isn’t an overriding issue I find a hanging guitar stand (something like this https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...Guitar%20Stand) to be much more secure and stable, especially if there’s a cord plugged in the bottom of the instrument. I also like the fact that they adjust easily so a matching pair of stands lets me switch easily between the mandolin and an octave which I do frequently during a session. (Not brave enough to try it mid-song though!)

I've been using an Ingles Violin stand for years. I like it because the instrument is locked into the stand and the pads are real rubber.

https://www.amazon.com/Ingles-Adjust...03024842&psc=1

To answer the question about the silicone rubber, only if you leave the instrument on the stand for extended periods of time like days in the heat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2469.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	206866  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Another vote for violin stand.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

8. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

But, locked in the stand. Can one get it out of the stand and ready to play in four bars of music? (While having the anticipated bad stage fright)

No cord, btw, Don.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    But, locked in the stand. Can one get it out of the stand and ready to play in four bars of music? (While having the anticipated bad stage fright)

No cord, btw, Don.
    You don't have to put the lock bar down if you're going to grab it suddenly.

Sure, the same hand you grab it with you slide up the bar with your thumb. What ever your comfortable with is best but as a guy that's seen a mandolin fall off a stand similar to yours and end up being kicked accidentally across a stage I'm particular.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Let's talk about stage fright. You're not the first person to experience it and once you figure out that the people in the audience probably can't do what you are attempting to do and if you make a mistake the sun will still come up the next morning and your family will still love you you should be able to get past that. Good luck and remember, you're there to have fun so have fun.

I should also add that even if you live a long and fruitful life, and I hope you do, you will never catch up with me in the number of mistakes I've made on stage.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

I often play for dances and bring two fiddles (different tunings) and clamp the violin that I am not using onto a mic or sheet music stand. I find that better for me as long as the stand is stable and not to fall over. I fear that someone (or me) may kick over my unplayed instrument with a stand on the floor. I prefer something like this: https://www.amazon.com/String-Swing-.../dp/B005SUUSKE

I would never put my mandolin or fiddle on the floor: either hanging securely or in its case. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Mar-31-2023 at 4:27pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D60FC072-DE61-4C31-B7F4-9CAEF6E41C24.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	206868

Sue, sounds like a fun project, best of luck to you. I have tried several stands including the hercules violin stand with the self locking feature but it did not work on my mandolins, most likely a difference between violin and mandolin headstock shapes. I finally settled on

http://herculesstands.com/internatio...ts/gs303b-(1)/

All of my mandolins fit in it, arm rest or not. BUT for this specific use the one Jim suggests that attaches to the music stand may be your best and most safe choice. Stages get busy and people get clumsy when nervous. I would want mine right in front of me where I can see it.
    Last edited by Steve Mead; Apr-01-2023 at 7:48am. Reason: Remove repeat response

16. The following members say thank you to Steve Mead for this post:

Have been using these Cooper stands for a while. Can switch between regular mandolin, OM and even guitar. The wooden model is nice, but I take the ABS one when playing out.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooperstand-E...05FG34F2&psc=1
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I'm going to have to ask the woman whose stand I tried if it is one of those violin ones. I think it was, as she is mainly a fiddler. The SOL would not sit down into the bracket at the bottom, as the body of the instrument was too deep (even without the armrest). Her mando was alot flatter than mine.

I looked a few that hang by the headstock but don't have a bracket at the bottom (the instrument just rests on the legs), but wasn't sure if it wouldn't be too wobbly, like a pendulum.

The one that clips to the stand sounds like a good idea except there won't be a stand. I think I'm just going to be playing backup, although there's an off chance I might be standing up to play a chorus with another (more experienced) mando player.

Some of those others that folks mentioned are also on my radar, thanks. I might have a chance to try a few out locally ahead of time.

Doug's is beautiful but doesn't look like it would be easy to schlep along with a big drum.

It's amazing how some things can be both super fun and super nerve wracking at the same time. Playing instruments in public and flying airplanes come to mind as examples
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Apr-01-2023 at 10:58am.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Ingles for surety of materials and design. Cooper makes a good fold up stand but it does not latch. Sometimes you will want it to. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I use this one at a local, small jam I go to. Works well enough, and folds up pretty well. It's actually deep enough for some parlor guitars, too!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Proline...d-Mandolins.gc
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Sue, mine just hang by the headstock as you described and I find them to be super secure. The only case where they’re not my favorite design is on an instrument that I mounted a D’Addario micro tuner that screws in to a tuning screw- it was still secure but I didn’t like the way it interfered with the hanger.

Blog Entries

I looked a few that hang by the headstock but don't have a bracket at the bottom (the instrument just rests on the legs), but wasn't sure if it wouldn't be too wobbly, like a pendulum.

The one that clips to the stand sounds like a good idea except there won't be a stand. I think I'm just going to be playing backup, although there's an off chance I might be standing up to play a chorus with another (more experienced) mando player.
    I've got a single and a double of the string swings & have used them for the mandolin & fiddle on my mic stand at gigs where instrument swaps were need between songs in sets. I don't feel comfortable doing that, even though we're a fairly disciplined bunch on stage. But they were the only practical solution for the stages where we were playing. I used lighting stand sandbags on the mic feet to help stop any keeling over if knocked
    I don't like how the String Swing doesn't have any protection where the foam strips meet at the weld, so added self-amalgamating tape there, which dealt with that. I also hate how they allow the instrument to swing, especially on stage boards or raised blocks, so I put a BMX crossbar protection tube around the mic stand which meant they couldn't ding that. But overall I don't like having them where a knocked mic or music stand could cause the lot to go over. So they just get used when practicing at home now, apart from two summer stage gigs we do where we're completely in charge of the stages.

I try to use the Stagg fiddle stand if possible due to the stability & neck support and place it away from any other people or fall lines for music stands and guitars etc. But best for me is keeping them in the cases and have more time for instrument swaps.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I've been using an Ingles Violin stand for years.
    Me, too. They're secure, stable and adjustable.

24. The following members say thank you to rickbella for this post:

I’ve been using a fender mini guitar stand for my mandos. I had to remove and bend the cradle arms in toward the center, to support a mando. These are sturdy and inexpensive, and they pack in a very small space.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...set-mini-stand

If I were ever to return to stage work with a mandolin, I would get a Hercules Uke stand that grabs the peghead. It's an easy one hand lift to pick up the instrument. Stands that only hold the instrument by the bottom of the body give me the heebee geebees, it's just too easy to knock the instrument off them. My flattop guitars are in the $3,000 to $5,000 range and Hercules is the only stand they'll ever be in.

The only time I will use an instrument stand is doing a concert in an opera house. Everywhere else it is in my case. When I do use one I use the Hercules. It is a guitar stand that works set to the lowest postion. I like the way it locks the headstock in place and only one hand to set and retrieve.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I played a show last night with my mandolin and octave so I hung both on hanging stands and switched about every third song or so. To minimize tangles I ran wireless on the mando and cabled on the octave. It worked really well.

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

Here's another vote for the Ingles Violin stand. I've used them for years, and so far, no issues.
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

Blog Entries

I'm going to have to ask the woman whose stand I tried if it is one of those violin ones. I think it was, as she is mainly a fiddler. The SOL would not sit down into the bracket at the bottom, as the body of the instrument was too deep (even without the armrest). Her mando was alot flatter than mine.

Some of those others that folks mentioned are also on my radar, thanks. I might have a chance to try a few out locally ahead of time.

Doug's is beautiful but doesn't look like it would be easy to schlep along with a big drum.

It's amazing how some things can be both super fun and super nerve wracking at the same time. Playing instruments in public and flying airplanes come to mind as examples
    I have that Ingles and what you mention is the only only complaint I have with it. With my mandolin in there, the stand is a little top heavy, and in a crowded stage (mandolin orchestra situation) it is vulnerable to being bumped over. It has happened to me a couple of times. No damage (thank heavens) but twice more than I would ever want it to happen.

I have not tried those low riding grippy stands like you linked, so I don't know how bump vulnerable they are. I would assume, based on nothing at all, they are more stable.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....