Thread: Looking for advice for playing with finger style guitar players

Default Looking for advice for playing with finger style guitar players

Hi everyone, hoping for some advice. I jam a lot with a guitar player and he really like playing finger style (which I think is cool). So I find myself usually playing "full strum" chords when I'm playing rhythm because if I start cross picking or playing fills I feel like we're stepping on each other. So far, so good. But inevitably I get a "take a solo" look and I never know what to do. He's playing arpeggiated chords and I'm playing single notes too and it just doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have any advice on how I can make it all mesh together? Thanks!

Default Re: Looking for advice for playing with finger style guitar playe

I play mandolin in a trio (acoustic guitar, bass, mandolin) where the guitar plays finger style on maybe 70% of the tunes. I agree that cross-picking on the mando can muddy the waters but otherwise find that gentle chop and single note lines work fine. You can hear how I approach it at: www.reverbnation.com/rootsnall. I think the guitar player is playing finger-style on most if not all of the tunes.

Default Re: Looking for advice for playing with finger style guitar playe

Counter-melodies, percussive rhythm backups, single-line harmonies to his melodic lines, double stop files, even bass lines, etc. The more you guys play together the more you'll work out the logistics. If he has a good ear and decent chops and an *excellent listener* it will be great. I find that the most rewarding thing to workout the details between two musicians.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1