Thread: David Surette Mandolin Festival! May 5-7, 2023 in Concord, NH

Default David Surette Mandolin Festival! May 5-7, 2023 in Concord, NH

Hi everyone!

Isa Burke here, daughter of Mandolin Cafe hero David Surette. As many of you know, we lost my dad in December 2021, and my mom and sister and I have taken up the job of continuing the mandolin festival that he started 20 years ago in partnership with the Concord Community Music School. It was formerly known as the March Mandolin Festival, but we've renamed it the David Surette Mandolin Festival a) to honor my dad, and b) because it is now taking place in May

I see that someone else already posted about it here — which made me very happy to see! — but I wanted to spread the word here as well and make sure you have all the relevant info. We only have about 20 spots left for the festival, so if you're interested, make sure you sign up ASAP!

This year's mandolin festival will take place, as usual, at the Concord Community Music School in Concord, New Hampshire. There will be workshops all day Saturday, followed by an evening concert, and workshops Sunday morning and early afternoon. All styles and levels are welcome, even total beginners. If you're traveling from out of town, we have a group rate available at the local Courtyard Marriott.

There will also be a kickoff concert on Friday, May 5, at the Dance Hall in Kittery, Maine, featuring all the instructors as well as me, my mom, and my sister. We've assembled a really great lineup of instructors this year: Marla Fibish, Skip Gorman, Keith Murphy, and Steve Roy!

A little bit about each of the instructors:

Californian Marla Fibish is known for her fluid and beautiful mandolin and mandola playing, on original tunes and those in the Irish repertoire. Skip Gorman is one of the country’s leading teachers and players of Bill Monroe-style bluegrass mandolin, and a masterful cowboy singer and fiddler. Newfoundland-born Keith Murphy is a trove of songs and tunes of Eastern Canada, as well as original tunes, delivered in his lyrical and rhythmic style. Steve Roy plays in a wide variety of styles on mandolin, bass, guitar, fiddle, and ukulele. Drive, enthusiasm and improvisation are hallmarks of his playing.

For more details or to register, you can visit https://www.ccmusicschool.org/david-...olin-festival/.

To get tickets for the Friday concert (which is separate from the CCMS events), go here: https://www.thedancehallkittery.org/...ickoff-concert

Thanks for reading! I hope to see some of you there!

All the best,
    Isa

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandofest flyer v5.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	206927

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to isaburke For This Useful Post:

Default Re: David Surette Mandolin Festival! May 5-7, 2023 in Concord, NH

All the best with it. I was a great admirer of your dad.

Kindest regards,

Dagger
    David A. Gordon

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Carleton Page was just telling me about this during my mandolin lesson last night.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

5. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

Booked in and looking forward to a fun weekend.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615