Thread: Gibson A-Model Serial Number ID

Default Gibson A-Model Serial Number ID

I recently purchased a Gibson A4 and it is in great shape for it's age. I am however having more than a little trouble discerning the serial number.

I can easily read the factory number (#11342) but for the life of me I can't make out the serial number, even when using a bright flashlight- is there a trick to deciphering a faded serial?

I've read some of the older posts about looking under the bridge and under the pickguard and neither of these are winners for me.

FWIW, the mandolin does not appear to have a truss rod, and the original bridge was non-adjustable, so I assume it might be an early 23 model?

I've attached a few photos for reference.

Thank you all for your help and input!

Russ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230405_231459706.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	616.3 KB 
ID:	206930

Name:	PXL_20230405_231351192.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	391.6 KB 
ID:	206931

Name:	PXL_20230405_231341642.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	484.4 KB 
ID:	206932

Default Re: Gibson A-Model Serial Number ID

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    I recently purchased a Gibson A4 and it is in great shape for it's age. I am however having more than a little trouble discerning the serial number.

I can easily read the factory number (#11342) but for the life of me I can't make out the serial number, even when using a bright flashlight- is there a trick to deciphering a faded serial?

I've read some of the older posts about looking under the bridge and under the pickguard and neither of these are winners for me.

FWIW, the mandolin does not appear to have a truss rod, and the original bridge was non-adjustable, so I assume it might be an early 23 model?

I've attached a few photos for reference.

Thank you all for your help and input!

Russ

Name:	PXL_20230405_231459706.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	616.3 KB 
ID:	206930

Name:	PXL_20230405_231351192.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	391.6 KB 
ID:	206931

Name:	PXL_20230405_231341642.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	484.4 KB 
ID:	206932
    11343 is a 1920 FON date in Spann's Guide. Not all FON's are listed.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    11343 is a 1920 FON date in Spann's Guide. Not all FON's are listed.
    Thank you, Mike! I sincerely appreciate your help!

Russ

Whilst the FON, as Mike says, points to 1920, the Serial Number may well be a year or so later.

In my (limited) experience, it isn’t only the brightness of a light which enables you to read a faded serial number. Try reading it under different types of light - daylight, tungsten, flourescent, LED etc. As any phtographer will tell you, colours change depending on the light source.

The number may well be written underneath the label but you probably don’t want to go there!

6. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

The serial number may not be readily visible, but is it relevant. The FON gives a 1920 manufacturing date and that's usually the information sought. As Spann points out, the FON is assigned at the time of manufacture; the serial number is assigned when the instrument leaves the factory, and that can be the same year or any number of years later. Seems like you have a great looking 1920 A4. And those A4s usually sound pretty good, too. Congrats on a great acquisition.

8. The following members say thank you to j4music for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Whilst the FON, as Mike says, points to 1920, the Serial Number may well be a year or so later.

In my (limited) experience, it isn’t only the brightness of a light which enables you to read a faded serial number. Try reading it under different types of light - daylight, tungsten, flourescent, LED etc. As any phtographer will tell you, colours change depending on the light source.

The number may well be written underneath the label but you probably don’t want to go there!
    Ray: Thank you for your reply. I sincerely appreciate it! I've tried a couple different light sources and even brought in a couple sets of younger eyes to give it a look to no avail yet. But I will keep trying. Might just get desperate enough someday to lift the label .

Thanks again for your feedback!

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by j4music View Post
    The serial number may not be readily visible, but is it relevant. The FON gives a 1920 manufacturing date and that's usually the information sought. As Spann points out, the FON is assigned at the time of manufacture; the serial number is assigned when the instrument leaves the factory, and that can be the same year or any number of years later. Seems like you have a great looking 1920 A4. And those A4s usually sound pretty good, too. Congrats on a great acquisition.
    J4: Thank you for the intel- I really appreciate it! The mando definitely has a wider nut and the deep V neck. I've always wanted a nice oval to use as an accompaniment instrument when I am singing- and with flatwounds on it, this mandolin does have a nice mellow sound with lots of sustain.

Being that the guitar was my first love, I do appreciate the wider neck too- makes those 4 finger chord shapes a lot less crowded.

Thanks for your help and kind words.

Russ

Teacher, repair person

Try wiping the dust off the label with a dry q-tip. Sometimes that's enough to make the number readable if you get the light right.
    I don't advise pulling off the label. If it doesn't come loose cleanly, it will de-value the instrument. If you do get it off cleanly, you might find it's not so easy to put it back in just the right position. You already have a factory order number to identify the year of manufacture.

12. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Another suggestion. If you have a decent camera on your phone or otherwise digital, take a picture of the label. If again you have it available, put the image into some editing software and change the contrast a bit to darken, lighten, whatever and the serial number may become readable.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

14. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

These serial numbers were often written with pencil and the graphite dust may flake off after a hundred years or so. I can't see most of the serial numbers on the label of my '23 snakehead. That doesn't make me love it any less.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Try wiping the dust off the label with a dry q-tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Another suggestion. If you have a decent camera on your phone or otherwise digital, take a picture of the label. If again you have it available, put the image into some editing software and change the contrast a bit to darken, lighten, whatever and the serial number may become readable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    These serial numbers were often written with pencil and the graphite dust may flake off after a hundred years or so. I can't see most of the serial numbers on the label of my '23 snakehead. That doesn't make me love it any less.
    This is a great community- I sincerely appreciate the advice and suggestions. I am going to give these great non-destructive suggestions a try this weekend, and I resolve not to try peeling off the label- a little mystery never heart anything…
    Thank you all for the great input- I am grateful!
    Russ