Thread: Ear Training Apps

Default Ear Training Apps

It didn’t occur to me that ear training apps existed until I came across a reference on YouTube. But then, duh, of course there are apps for everything. So, I’m wondering what experience people have with the various apps and which ones you’d recommend?
    I could really benefit from some better ears. Thanks

Ed

Default Re: Ear Training Apps

Hey Ed, I really like Functional Ear Trainer. It's free! It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but I was just looking for something simple to help (hopefully) improve my relative pitch and that's what it's intended for.

Not strictly ear training, but Nail the Pitch is a great app for vocal note recognition. Using that app in conjunction with a piano is great to help with vocals. The more I sing, the better I get with understanding intervals and relative pitch training.

Perfect Ear is not a bad app - free and has a lot of good exercises which track progress. It does singing recognition too - though I'm not sure how great that is.

There was an app that I can't recall the name of that just played a part of the song and asked what the first interval was (i.e. Somewhere of the Rainbow) - that was cool because it put the note recognition in context. Not super helpful I know - but this page is pretty close https://www.musicnotes.com/blog/musi...se-easy-songs/ and this too https://www.musical-u.com/learn/inte...ally-heard-of/ (though a little more "pop" music haha)
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

I've used Erol's Singer Studio for vocal help. It has a lot of ear training and pitch recognition exercises. Not cheap for a phone app, but I know lots of singers who use it.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWallace1 View Post
    Hey Ed, I really like Functional Ear Trainer. It's free! It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but I was just looking for something simple to help (hopefully) improve my relative pitch and that's what it's intended for.
    Great topic, Ed.

I downloaded this as soon as I saw the post. It has alot of instruments you can ad, but no mando
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Thank you to all.
    I think I’m going to start with Functional Ear Trainer as getting a better sense of relative pitch seems to be a logical starting point.

7. The following members say thank you to Ed McGarrigle for this post: