Thread: Impressions: Northfield A5 Special

Default Impressions: Northfield A5 Special

Okay, forgive the lengthy post, but I felt compelled to write something and sure do hope that all you friends will understand that I'm only doing this because I'm so amazed at the effect receiving my new Northfield has had on me.

Very briefly, been a Collings MT/MT2 fan for 20 years. Only able to own one instrument at a time, I've tried plenty of other similar level A style mandos over the years - but always returned to the MT2 and MT2-V or the way the fit my hands, my playing style, my ears, and lastly my aesthetics. IMHO, the late Bill Collings designed simply a stunning and uniquely beautiful A mandolin in the MT that I still find as beautiful as the time I received my very first new mandolin - a 2005 blonde MT (from the good folks at TME where I also just purchased the Northfield last week).

I'd never held a Northfield or heard one live - but have been might curious for the last several years and hoping they'd come out with a model that might challenge everything I loved most about my many MT2s. So I bought the A5 Special fully blind.

I will never, ever say a bad word about Collings mandolins. "Full stop," as they say! But that "effect" I mentioned of the Northfield? I've never been more excited to pick up a mandolin and just be amazed at the sound and rich tonal palates coming out of this featherweight instrument. While I always felt there was no better neck shape for my hand than the Collings pronounced v-shape, I've found it. Ditto the bell like clarity of single notes. And its evenness up and down the fretboard.

Not a pick guard fan, I removed it and love the way the 18th century style f-holes look so right with the Nugget tailpiece. Fit and finish is equal to any MT2 I've ever owned - and the spirit varnish is perfect.

If you want to hear the reason I chose this mandolin, it was because I play similar music to this wonderful gentleman and heard the difference in tones between his MT2 and his A5 Special - and the sweetness of the Northfield spoke to me.

MT2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN42JegZ3Ns
    Northfield: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSGE...G61-AY&index=6

So, that's it. I'm not a poster, but to play this new mandolin has taken me by surprise. Well done, Northfield. And Collings? You'll always have a special place in my heart for inspiring me to practice and play in my ongoing efforts to become a better mandolin player.

I hope this read was worth the time. I'm just so blown away at the moment, I had to pay my respects.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to jdmeyers77 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Impressions: Northfield A5 Special

Oops. Here's a photo. The color is more tobacco brown and less yellow than the photograph.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0784.jpeg 
Views:	216 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	206963

its no secret Northfield is known for "big" tone, I've played a few and like anything some speak to me while others do not. Frankdolin has the amber Northfield A5, that box has got some sweet tone.
    I agree the Collings MT is pretty much top of the line for "affordable" A models, I've played a few and they are dreams to play.
    I would add the Northfields do not have that "crystalline afterburn" Collings has but I don't think any other mandolin does either.

Anyway sounds like you found a keeper! Congrats!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Thank you for the review.

It’s a beautiful mandolin.
    Eastman MD515 mandolin
    Gretsch G9310 mandolin
    Eastman MDO305E-SB octave mandolin
    Eastman E20om guitar
    Vega Little Wonder tenor banjo
    Epiphone El Capitan acoustic bass

thanks for sharing your new mando, Northfield makes great instruments.

and a huge thanks for listing DeLorenzo's YT channel, love how he plays and the tone he gets from his mando's

i'll be spending some time checking out his music.

7. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

One of the reasons I like this gentleman is his perfect tempo and even touch. His sense of each song is so strong. I aim to be as good someday! .

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdmeyers77 For This Useful Post:

As an owner of both a Collings MT2 and a Northfield A5 Special, I found this interesting. In my case the 2 are not really comparable as I bought the MT 2 in 2002 whereas the A5 special I purchased
    only about 3-4 years ago. The MT2 is wonderfully broken and then I played it heavily over the years whereas the A5 Special has pretty much been a homebody and never really left the house. If I had to compare the 2, I would say that the MT2 had a longer breaking in period whereas the A5 Special started strong out of the starting gate. The MT2 has a very focused voice, mostly fundamentals I guess, as opposed to the A5 Special which seems to have a lot of overtones. Volume-wise, I think the A5 Sp is a bit louder. Most recently, I've been trying to get a classical guitar piece that I have adapted to mandolin up to speed, one with a lot of harmonics and I've been amazed at how the notes pop out of the A5 Sp compared to the MT2, for that type of playing. I do love both and don't plan to part with either

I think they do complement each other as well. Was able over the weekend to play a friend's nice MT2 just to do a comparison and feel that the A5 Special does sound to me a bit more woody - but the Collings has its own voice that is just as compelling. You're lucky to own one of each! Maybe someday again I will as well!

Quick update. Out of the blue, I heard from a well known builder that my place in the cue had moved up a full year. I needed the 50% deposit and for a brief day made plans to part with the Northfield - as I have no way to afford the custom build I had wanted for so long and the A5 Special.

But upon playing the Northfield to make sure, I just stopped. The tone, at least to me, is so right with what my ear has always wanted to hear from my mandolin. Woody, but not too. Modern, but just enough. A naturalness and depth to the G corse that is addictive due to how they designed the lovely ff-holes.

In short, I realized I have in fact stumbled upon a mandolin that literally exceeds every other sub-$6K A style I've tried through the years.

I don't know if all Northfields affect their owners the same way - but this little box has utterly won me over. I've taken my name off the cue for the custom build and consider myself extremely lucky to have secured this A5 Special. Cheers.

In 1918 bought a 2016 Northfield Big Mon. It was absolutely terrific in every way. Huge sound. I've had hundreds of mandolins over the last 50 years but this one was the best I had ever owned but in silly moment during lockdown when I wasn't playing much, I sold it. Big mistake. I think you have done the right thing in accepting that you have what you love. No more buying, just get on with the music. Wish I had done that.

Strange, right? The last mando I played that all these years later I still hear in my head was a plain 2004 Collings MF in a nice shop. If I wasn't a tried and true A style fan, I would have bought the thing. Had an amazing and custom "Western Burst" as well!

I've been a tube audiophile all my life, and this A5 reminds me of that sense of naturalness to the ear similar to how my mind processes the sound of an SET amp. I also think the master grade Italian soundboard may have a role, too!

I have to say that it is pretty funny to hear how guilty you feel about “cheating” on your Collings. Your realize, of course, that there quite a few of us here who have no qualms about owning multiple instruments. I am one of them. You are certainly allowed to do that and each mandolin can add to your musical palette. I find each one of mine inspires me in different ways. That is great that you found a second love among your mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I missed this post! Thanks JD for such kind words. Yeah, that A5 just blows me away everytime I touch it. I never thought the MT2 could be beat, and maybe it can't. Butt that "crystalline afterburn" Tim mentioned, bugs me, and I have to use a variety of picks to calm it. It's also to me, like playing a Les Paul turned to 10, always, it can be a challenge. But gosh is it beautiful. The A5 just has it all. Tone, voice, feel, smell, and.... I also am having a very hard time putting this down. I love my others also, different voices for different choices. Enjoy JD, I'm sure you'll not regret keeping the A5. Enjoy!!!