Thread: Article: New from Mel Bay Publishing, Inc. - The Mandocello, by Mark E. Freemantle

Blog Entries

Default Article: New from Mel Bay Publishing, Inc. - The Mandocello, by M

Default Re: Article: New from Mel Bay Publishing, Inc. - The Mandocello,

Thank you Mark Freemantle!
    I have been promoting solo mandocello work for years here in the Cafe and at the CMSA conventions. Very excited to see this added to August Watters' Progressive Melodies for Mandocello and Ben Ash's modern edition of the Bickford book. I immediately went to Mel Bay site to order, but only availability seems to be digital. Will a hard copy be available soon?

Blog Entries

Per the news article:

FENTON, MO. — Mel Bay Publications, Inc. has announced the availability of The Mandocello, by Mark E. Freemantle. Available in eBook format now, the print version is expected soon.

If you would like to hear the first three Bach Cello Suites played on my Monteleone Mandocello, you can check them out on my Bandcamp page at: https://mikemarshallf5.bandcamp.com

It was my covid project. One each year since 2019.
    What an amazing workout and fulfilling musical journey. Number 4 is on the way...we'll see if I get to all 6!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Marshall For This Useful Post:

I caught the first 2 Mike, it almost seems the recording quality and production was somewhat better on the 2nd one, I guess I just like it musically more anyway. Looking forward to number 3, I did try the prelude for a bit, try meaning "meager attempt". I'll have to listen to your #3 and hopefully find inspiration.

Great info. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    I caught the first 2 Mike, it almost seems the recording quality and production was somewhat better on the 2nd one, I guess I just like it musically more anyway. Looking forward to number 3, I did try the prelude for a bit, try meaning "meager attempt". I'll have to listen to your #3 and hopefully find inspiration.
    Yes, I recorded the first one at home using 2- KM84 Neumann mics and a Coles Ribbon.
    By the 2nd suite I was able to go into the studio with my engineer Dave Luke and he added some more mics and great mic preamps/compressors etc. (thank you covid).
    Makes a difference huh?

Blog Entries

Back to the topic at hand, the book is now available in print on melbay.com.

Yes, to the topic at hand (but the Bach cello suites on Mike's Monteleone is a monumental mandocello master's nice sidetrack!).
    I downloaded Mark's eBook right away and look forward to discussing it with my MC section colleagues at CMSA in Kansas City. I hope other mandocello players will support this (as well as Mike's Bach Suites).
    Jim

Dr James S Imhoff
    Boston University
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

1912 Gibson K4 Mandocello; Thomann Mandocello; Stiver F5; American? Bowlback; Martin 00016; Dusepo Cittern/liuto cantabile