Thread: NEW Mandocello Book!

Default NEW Mandocello Book!

I was surprised and pleased to open the Cafe site this morning and see Mark Freemantle's Mandocello Book. THANK YOU Mark!
    I hope all my bass clef reading colleagues will support this. Mel Bay site has ebook/digital available; I'm an old fashioned 3-ring binder and spiral-bound book person. Will a hard copy be out soon?
    I look forward to digging into this and maybe have more to say once I've got my hands and pick on it.
    jim
    Jim

Dr James S Imhoff
    Boston University
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

1912 Gibson K4 Mandocello; Thomann Mandocello; Stiver F5; American? Bowlback; Martin 00016; Dusepo Cittern/liuto cantabile

Default Re: NEW Mandocello Book!

Looking at the table of contents, it seems a bit on the introductory side, not that I couldn't use the refresh on the Bass clef.
    it of course move to more advanced concepts, its probably my own ignorance but its rare someone would choose the mandocello as a "first instrument" although that may be changing with the newer "awareness" of the beast.
    I guess its the same with Octave mandolin, instructional material and music specifically arranged for the instrument is scarce at best, and a lot of conversations on this web site are looking for just that, its good to see someone is "answering" the call.
    Either way I'm sure there is educational and developmental value, and being a "Mandocello Enthusiast" I celebrate the effort and expansion of mandocello music and mandocello players.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

I agree. My guess though is they’re coming from treble clef instruments or bass clef instruments in fourths. So a bass clef in fifths introductory book makes a lot of sense. Either way. When it comes out in print I’ll get it to augment my Mandocello library.

Thanks Jim,
    I didn’t even know the digital version was available yet.
    I too am waiting on the printed copy.
    Mark Freemantle

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for flagging up the new book. I found August Watters Progressive Melodies for the Mandocello which is more intermediate above the beginning level of this book.

It'd be great to see more of a chord theory book (which this book has one chapter at the end dedicated to) - something not covered in any mandocello publication?

Kind regareds