Thread: Mandola tablature

Default Mandola tablature

Does anyone know where I can find Mandola tablature for Ashokan Farewell?

Default Re: Mandola tablature

Use available mandolin tab, use the second sting on the tab as your first string (A) and just play the notes that would be on the mandolin E (first) string on your A string at frets 7, 9 & 10

3. The following members say thank you to RobH for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn4390 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find Mandola tablature for Ashokan Farewell?
    I'm happy to post tablature to this thread. Just let me know what key you want it in.

7. The following members say thank you to Colin Botts for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Botts View Post
    I'm happy to post tablature to this thread. Just let me know what key you want it in.
    Thanks Colin. I just came across your Mandola videos on YouTube. They’re fantastic. I’ve been working on Ashoken Farewell. Do you tablature for your videos? Patreon?
    Cheers.

Thanks Colin. I just came across your Mandola videos on YouTube. They’re fantastic. I’ve been working on Ashoken Farewell. Do you tablature for your videos? Patreon?
    Cheers.
    Thanks, I'm happy to hear you've enjoyed those videos. I've transcribed a few of them, and links to the tablature can be found on the videos. As far as Ashokan Farewell goes, I'm happy to post the tablature here; just let me know what key you'd like to play the tune in.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Botts View Post
    Thanks, I'm happy to hear you've enjoyed those videos. I've transcribed a few of them, and links to the tablature can be found on the videos. As far as Ashokan Farewell goes, I'm happy to post the tablature here; just let me know what key you'd like to play the tune in.
    I’m pretty new to playing Mandola so I’m finding the key changes from mandolin a bit confusing. What key are you playing Ashokan Farewell in the YouTube video? Tablature for that would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

I’m pretty new to playing Mandola so I’m finding the key changes from mandolin a bit confusing. What key are you playing Ashokan Farewell in the YouTube video? Tablature for that would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    In the video I'm playing in the key of G. I originally learned the tune on the fiddle in the key of D (which when played on the mandola ends up being in G, if fingered the same way). To be honest, most of the time when I'm playing the mandola, I'm thinking of it as if it were a mandolin/octave mandolin/fiddle.

You'll notice in the attached sheet music that the tablature in D for the mandolin and the tablature in G for the mandola are identical. I also included tablature for the mandola in D, just in case you want to jam with anyone, since that's usually the key people play that tune in.

I quickly wrote down just a basic version of the melody, without any double stops or chords. Hopefully you find this helpful, and feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ashokan Farewell (mandola in D).pdf 
Views:	99 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	207075

Name:	Ashokan Farewell (mandola in G).pdf 
Views:	46 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	207076

Name:	Ashokan Farewell (mandolin in D).pdf 
Views:	42 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	207077

Thanks Colin. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I hope you keep making videos. They’re great!

13. The following members say thank you to Shawn4390 for this post: