Thread: Scottish music on a Greek bouzouki.

Default Scottish music on a Greek bouzouki.

Lost sight of these old clips in vimeo somewhere, but fun to see again after many years. Sadly, accordionist Ali Beag MacLeod is no longer alive, and very much missed in the Highlands of Scotland and beyond. A rare man indeed.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Scottish music on a Greek bouzouki.

Kevin,
    I really enjoyed that. I was brought up with music at home as a regular part of life, so I really liked hearing you and your highland friends ceilidh-ing in the true sense of sitting around, visiting, making music, and enjoying yourselves. I really enjoyed the tunes and your style of playing them, which certainly had the sense of tradition.

Sorry to hear about Ali Beag. A relative?

Tapadh leat,
    Raghnall
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

4. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Thanks a lot! Ali and I had ancestry in common a bit back from Sionascaig. He was a most charming man, a true Gael.
    Moran taing
    Kevin Macleod

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

Inspiring energetic bouncy playing and nice to hear these complementary instruments together.

Anyone have tune names for the first vid?

8. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Great memories being invoked by the videos, Kevin. I still have Ali's book of tunes he signed for me that weekend I was fortunate enough to spend the Friday evening in your kitchen with a great bunch of musicians including Dagger Gordon.
    Simon, the tunes are named on-screen around 20 seconds mark.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

10. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Thanks John, I didn’t watch the vid, I just played it with the volume cranked up…. yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaar!
    That rhythm is the best!!!

LOCHNIVER by J McIvor
    ACHNAHAIRD by PM N Gillies
    AN LONDUBH by C Bannatyne (though not (?) one of these: The Blackbird)

12. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Not a bouzouki, but Scottish nevertheless ...

14. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

Ranald 

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

Thanks for those, Kevin. They remind me of "having a time" at John Neil's in Gabarus Lake, Cape Breton -- but with a different accent on the Scottish music. (No mandolin.) John Neil MacLean was a friend and, I think, distant cousin, who died some years ago at about 58, if I remember correctly. His mother was bedridden upstairs at his house. I never met her but often heard them speaking Gaelic together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIxB...lMacLean-Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8om6...lMacLean-Topic

"I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

Both videos coming up as unavailable, Ranald. Trying to open with YT link has the same result.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

19. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Ranald 

Love your very natural exchanges at the start of Old Joe's Two-steps, Kevin! We play The Highlander's Revenge at our local sessions but at a slower tempo and lacking that lift you and Ali achieve.Thanks for latest postings.

21. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Both videos coming up as unavailable, Ranald. Trying to open with YT link has the same result.
    By entering the following into YouTube, you might be able to link to the medleys in Post #9:

"John Neil MacLean/ The Black Sporran/Walking The Floor"

"John Neil MacLean/ J Scott Skinner Strathspey/GIllian's Reel"

The album is "Cape Breton Scottish Fiddle" by Topic Records, with two cuts by John Neil. (The field recordings and notes are by John Shaw, now of the School of Scottish Studies, whom I visited in Inverness about 25 years ago. He's a fine Cape Breton fiddler himself.

I got to listen to both by copying and pasting your titles above into YouTube, Ranald. Thanks for this. Interesting sound from the fiddle, especially in the first video. The Strathspey and reel are a great pairing.

Interestingly, when I used the url links you posted it took me to YouTube but then says the videos are unavailable. I clicked on John Neil MacLean's avatar to go to his page and it says there that the channel has no content and no playlists. It may be that he has deleted his videos from the channel?

24. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    By entering the following into YouTube, you might be able to link to the medleys in Post #9:

"John Neil MacLean/ The Black Sporran/Walking The Floor"

"John Neil MacLean/ J Scott Skinner Strathspey/GIllian's Reel"

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vonbiber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    I got to listen to both by copying and pasting your titles above into YouTube, Ranald. Thanks for this. Interesting sound from the fiddle, especially in the first video. The Strathspey and reel are a great pairing.

Interestingly, when I used the url links you posted it took me to YouTube but then says the videos are unavailable. I clicked on John Neil MacLean's avatar to go to his page and it says there that the channel has no content and no playlists. It may be that he has deleted his videos from the channel?
    This is all very confusing, John. I see links in Post #9 but not in Post #14 (thanks for posting, vonbiber), where I get "Video unavailable." Clearly, some people are seeing links in Post #14 but not #9. Though John Neil MacLean's name is placed where you usually see the name of the person who posted the YouTube video, the video I see was posted in 2017, well after John Neil died. Below his name, I read "Provided to YouTube by Redeye Worldwide." Anyway, I'm glad to know that people are connecting with the videos and enjoying Johnnie's playing. The pianist is his cousin, Phylllis MacLeod. Most of the Scots people in that region of Cape Breton, including all my Scottish ancestors and the MacLeans, were of Uisteanach descent, though many of the MacLeods were from Skye (though Phyllis is a MacLeod by marriage). The area had many pipers even into the twentieth century, but, somewhere along the line, fiddle became more popular (I understand that violins were both more readily available and easier to make.) The piano became the main instrument of accompaniment, but people also played parlour organs, and, by the 1930's, guitars, and I think banjos and mandolins. Cape Breton music has changed quite a bit over the years. I couldn't say how much the Outer Hebrides background is reflected in these recordings from 1976. Some I'm sure. You could also try entering "Cape Breton Scottish Music Volume 2," and see what that gets you (I found only another medley by another fiddler, but not the whole album; the medley is "Alex Maceachern's Strathspey/Fear Nan Casan Caola (The Rejected Suitor) by John Willie Campbell."). Volume 1 is mainly Gaelic singing, with a few fiddle tunes.

28. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post: