Thread: Lyon & Healy "Style B"

Default Lyon & Healy "Style B"

During my second sweep of the Cafe's ads (like any other MAS-afflicted denizen of this forum) the other morning I noted that Walter must have been on Spring break for Carter's new posting of a 1930s L&H style B mandolin. As I perused the listing, I concluded that it was most likely a pre-1920 Style A - always on my wish list and at a great price.

https://cartervintage.com/shop/lyon-...Z01mriiIPfdm4e

Ever the sucker for a twin point mandolin, I crossed my fingers, decided I would buy flowers for my wife before I told her about the purchase and jumped on it like a hungry dog on a soup bone. Carter's did honor the transaction and it arrived yesterday.

The Good: It is indeed a long-scale Style A from prior to the transition to the asymmetric body style that was introduced in about 1920/21. No cracks in the body or on the headstock. The tuners work well and the vulcanized fiber has not deteriorated. The finish is in good shape and the original case is usable. It sounds great in closed positions and intonates well at the 12th fret.

The Not-so-Good: I think somebody tinkered with it recently. The Phillips head screw holding the pick guard in place is obvious. Somebody inserted a zero-fret (I have never seen an original with a zero fret) and may have replaced the fingerboard. Carters stated that the neck was refinished (no biggie). I think it will need a fret leveling and set-up: it produces a sitar-like sound on the open D strings that is not present when I fret the first fret on the D course or play further up the neck.

All-in-all I'm quite satisfied. There is no label and I can't find a serial number, but I'm satisfied that it is an early Style A. I'll have my tech check out the D course buzz and set it up. Change out the strings from Phosphor Bronze to Thomastiks and might have to learn to play some Classical music.

Default Re: Lyon & Healy "Style B"

Oh, good—I'm glad you got it!

There is a serial number even without a label. Get a flashlight and your reading glasses and look toward one or the other of the points. It should be there, burned into the wood. If not, look elsewhere around the rim. Let us know what you find.

Good catch! Such a clean design. I’m no authority on these things but: That topside screw head isn’t Phillips, so it might even be proper. The sitarish (new word!) buzz is likely that the added zero fret is slightly lower than the bottoms of the nut slots, but if you’re sure that the zero doesn’t belong there, and the nut itself is original, I wouldn’t modify the latter. If the zero is actually original, or relates to a fretboard replacement back in the mists, then the channel in the nut can be lowered. Careful measurement of the first fret location may tell the tale.
    Last edited by Richard500; Apr-20-2023 at 8:51pm.

It is an earlier style A for sure. The zero fret is odd. Here's a few pics of mine from around the same era with the longer scale.

What is that grayish stuff near the nut? It also looks like yours did not have the thigh support thinger. I don't know if that was an option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LH495det03.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	207142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LH495det02.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	207141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LH495det01.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	258.9 KB 
ID:	207140  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    There is a serial number even without a label. Get a flashlight and your reading glasses and look toward one or the other of the points. It should be there, burned into the wood. If not, look elsewhere around the rim. Let us know what you find.
    it should be stamped inside the rim on the treble side.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

29 is stamped on the treble side rim.

In the case is a sticky post-it from Carters's "Neck refin"; "sh!t @ peghead"; "fingerboard been off". I think the marking near the nut occurred during the fingerboard work. I suspect a fingerboard replacement with the zero fret because the mandolin intonates well at the 12th fret & 7th fret harmonics & playing octaves at the fifth fret.

The thigh support thingie is not present & no hole for it in the treble side rims. What is a good reference for L&H mandolins?

Hey there fellow Durhmite and L&H owner!

I have #32 of the Style-B model, likely built in 1917, which does not have a zero fret or thigh support appendage. Mine needed setup work in the bridge and nut slots to be compatible with Thomastik strings. Don't recall ever seeing a zero fret on these mandolins, and if an expert like Jim finds it peculiar it likely is peculiar.

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    What is a good reference for L&H mandolins?
    L&H serial numbers are bonkers. They seem to re-start numbering every few years and sometimes the numbering for mandolins is separate from other instruments and sometimes not. They are crazier even than Gibson. I think they intentionally did that to drive us 21st century players/collectors insane. My serial number (on the label and stamped on the inside) is 495.

This is the best current book on L&H/Washburn vintage instruments (though Hubert continues to research and hopefully will update and the publisher will reprint his book): https://www.amazon.com/Washburn-Prewar-Instrument-Styles-Pleijsier/dp/157424227X/ref=sr_1_1?

Last edited by Jim Garber; Apr-21-2023 at 3:36pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here's the style A page from the 1920 L&H catalog.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1920-LH-styleA.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	428.9 KB 
ID:	207155
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: