Thread: Any guesses on this SGW bowlback?

Default Any guesses on this SGW bowlback?

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/164673677

I don't buy the "Italian" claim. This is as American as the day is long. It has a cloud tailpiece and someone's stuck an adjustable bridge on it. But it has many, many ribs and a tasteful amount of bling, so it was some American company's idea of an upper-end mandolin. Ideas?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

2. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Default Re: Any guesses on this SGW bowlback?

Martin used engraved cloud tailpieces and covered tuners on a lot of their upper-end bowl backs. But I wouldn't automatically call it a Martin.

It has a Lyon & Healy look about it- especially the headstock.

5. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Well now that we’ve alerted everyone…. definitely the high end of someone’s line, and appears very well preserved too. If I didn’t already have too many it would be a centerpiece, and maybe even playable. The fire-themed case liner is something of a collectible too - I’d preserve that.
    In that it’s on SGW, there’s even a chance there’s a readable label inside. They mostly don’t know to look.

7. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

It looks a lot like an 1896 Style 160 Washburn- headstock shape and 34 ribs and no fingerboard extension. I imagine it may be a mandolin based on that spec but for a dealer which may be why there is no label mentioned.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    It looks a lot like an 1896 Style 160 Washburn- headstock shape and 34 ribs and no fingerboard extension. I imagine it may be a mandolin based on that spec but for a dealer which may be why there is no label mentioned.
    That happened often in that era. My first mandolin was a Lyon & Healy bowlback made for Carl Fischer

11. The following members say thank you to rickbella for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    I second Nick's L+H provenance.

The mandolin may not be from Italy, but I've been to some good Italian restaurants in Chicago.

I'm typically willing to give the SGW folks a lot of slack when it comes to their ads. Their situation is far different than someone selling on ebay or the inflated purple prose of a famed Staten Island mandolin shop.

The bowl looks a lot like the L+H j-a-t of making one stave look like two or three by inlaying a spacer strip within the stave itself.

I suppose other folks pulled the same gimmick off, but when it's advertised in a catalog as "34 staves!" with the presumption that "more staves = higher quality" it is mas que muy sketchioso.

All that said, it looks like a pretty nice mandolin, the gawky bridge notwithstanding.

But then there's the poor kid who had to give up his Wagon Train pajamas to reline the case.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

13. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

But then there's the poor kid who had to give up his Wagon Train pajamas to reline the case“
    Not Dalmatians and a fire wagon?

From number of bids so far, guess it will snipe up for……way much.

I was wrong - no snipe war and went for about $190. That seems to be a reasonable (thrift store) price for even a fancy, well-preserved bowl back these days. An affordable species for both players and collectors.

16. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post: