Thread: Cool Bool: A New Space for Mandolin Exploration

Default Cool Bool: A New Space for Mandolin Exploration

Hey fellow mandolorians! I finally bit the bullet and decided to start making I guess what you would call science fiction mandolin music. Something I've wanted to do for a while now, having been totally bored of bluegrass and traditional work after 15 years of playing.

Would love y'alls feedback, the good, bad, and ugly as it really does help me improve my craft. This track alone took 8 months to bring to life and hoping it can get some love here.

With great love for the lineage of mandolin players everywhere,

Thomas Townsley

https://open.spotify.com/track/7nsQt...fb7fe177c94072

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	digtial_cover_final.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	740.1 KB 
ID:	207164

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mandosoft For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Cool Bool: A New Space for Mandolin Exploration

Is there some other way to listen? I won't have anything to do with spotify. Put it on bandcamp.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Thomas, if you send the full MP3 to us we'll add it to the Cafe MP3 page and Apple Music podcast, but that gets around Spotify so understand if you don't wish to. That gets it a permanent spot on this page but it also gets shared to the Forum as a special automated post, and can get on our social media as well.

6. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

I'd love to hear it, but I can't listen to it without opening a Spotify account.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2E View Post
    I'd love to hear it, but I can't listen to it without opening a Spotify account.
    ItÂ’s also up on YouTube, where I almost enjoy the live version better since I can see whatÂ’s going on.

I really like the track, finding new directions with the synthesizer & drum machine. I especially like how you preserve the traditional sound of the acoustic instrument alongside the electronica. I once did an ambient album where another fellow handled all the electronics and keyboards; my 8 string electric wound up sounding like a guitar. Here the acoustic sets itself off well from the synth sound. Excellent work! I also appreciate the sci-fi aesthetic (I was mad for Sun Ra for years).

My one critical suggestion would be that rhythmically the mandolin is still largely in that traditional bluegrass place youÂ’re seeking out of: straight 8 for the most part. Maybe thatÂ’s exactly what you want! Myself, IÂ’ve found DworskyÂ’s A Rhythmic Vocabulary endlessly useful for improv purposes, likewise practicing with the AfroLatin Drum Machine app; in recent years IÂ’ve spent as much time on rhythm as on melody or harmony, finding it the most direct way out of that mandolin pigeonhole. And using a drum machine probably adds to (not lessens) the need for rhythmic interest.

Keep it up! I think this kind of trad/mod hybrid is the promise of the future.

Owen

9. The following members say thank you to ProfessorO for this post:

11. The following members say thank you to Dick Dery for this post:

It sounds great! It brought a smile to my face. I guess my only critique would be to have more bass out front. There's a lot of percussive things going on, so for me I'd like to hear a more cohesive bass line holding it all together. But that's just me, I do really love the way it sounds as is. Thanks for sharing.

It’s lots of fun! The combination of drive, humor, and experimentation reminds me a bit of Andy Statman, but it is definitely its own thing.

I just listened again on headphones and it sounds even better. I could hear the bass better with headphones and there is a cohesive bass line goin on. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Is there some other way to listen? I won't have anything to do with spotify. Put it on bandcamp.
    Yep it's on bandcamp!
    https://thomastownsley.bandcamp.com/track/cool-bool

That's a good point. I've always struggled with bass since I've played the mandolin my whole life so I try to outsource those ears to my friends. Will keep that in mind for the next project!

Sure thing! Where do I send it to?

Yea I believe the mandolin needs to be expanded and you have to do that with what I call "peripheral" technology e.g. anything that you can add and subtract from the instrument with ease such as my pickups that I build for the purpose. Hybrid mandolins just tend to not feel great and I don't like drilling holes or sticking putty on an F5.

As you pointed out the rhythm is still largely in a traditional bluegrass vein. That might be really hard to break but I do think practicing in different styles on a groovebox/drum machine is important (absolutely love Sun Ra as well, big hero of mine ). Will definitely checkout Dworsky's book as I haven't thought about seriously approaching the mandolin as a drum study, but hey that's why mandolins are the best. Thanks for your feedback!

I think it’s fantastic!
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

Quote Originally Posted by mandosoft View Post
    Yea I believe the mandolin needs to be expanded and you have to do that with what I call "peripheral" technology e.g. anything that you can add and subtract from the instrument with ease such as my pickups that I build for the purpose. Hybrid mandolins just tend to not feel great and I don't like drilling holes or sticking putty on an F5.

As you pointed out the rhythm is still largely in a traditional bluegrass vein. That might be really hard to break but I do think practicing in different styles on a groovebox/drum machine is important (absolutely love Sun Ra as well, big hero of mine ). Will definitely checkout Dworsky's book as I haven't thought about seriously approaching the mandolin as a drum study, but hey that's why mandolins are the best. Thanks for your feedback!
    Those pickups do sound fantastic. Cool thing about Dworsky is that the book is designed for all instruments, not just drums. Sun Ra: do you know the Strange Strings session, where each member of the Arkestra was handed a string instrument they’d never played before? It’s been reissued with a recording of Ra playing a creaking door. On the ceiling-high stacks of scores in his living room: “If I knew where everything was, I’d never find what I wasn’t looking for.” As Terry Riley said of improvisation, it’s when you don’t know where you’re going that you know you’re on the right track. Keep up the great work: next stop Mars! And yes, mandolins are the best.
    O

Blog Entries

A fun piece. Great playing.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....