Thread: Pre-war "guitar" mandola, looking for information

Default Pre-war "guitar" mandola/mandocello, looking for information

Hi, I stumbled upon this unusual instrument and I thought I'd try to find out more about its maker. Some elements lead me to the assumption that it is German-made (possibly from the German-Bohemian border region). I am quite used to finding very nice, unmarked guitars made there that can hardly be traced anymore, so I am just trying my luck - I will be very grateful for any leads!

Some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/8EoHzwS
    Last edited by Farrold; Apr-23-2023 at 6:59am.

Default Re: Pre-war "guitar" mandola, looking for information

It is unusual. Do you have the instrument in you possession and, if so, could you take more photos. Full front abd back and front of the heat stick. Also the dimensions would be helpful especially scale length.

The shape of the headstock is like Embergher but I highly doubt it came from that shop. Germany is possible. Have you seen guitars with that unusual neck body join? I seem to recall some early Martins that were like that but I would think this is from the more or less mis-twentieth century.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The tuning machine buttons- their shape, suggests Czech or German in origin- the plates look very German. I think your suggestion for its origin makes perfect sense. A very nice looking instrument- and quite original in a number of ways.

The scale lenght is 440 mm, I will make some more photos in a few days after I come back home. I haven't seen the neck joint style on guitars made there, but several other things are similar to the ones I know of (binding, fretboard ending, the tuner plates, combination of materials). The headstock actually reminded me more of certain french/italian instruments, a Maciocchi mandola that I used to own has the same/extremely similar headstock, and one other Italian mandolin + some Italian guitars too (Casella).
    Last edited by Farrold; Apr-23-2023 at 10:56am.

Very nice.

It's getting more and more interesting. It's now open, the bracing seems quite specific to me and I found at least a signature and date written by a luthier who repaired it back in the day ("Repariert 1932" and a name which I can't decipher):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230506_132804.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	761.1 KB 
ID:	207434

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230506_132833.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	556.6 KB 
ID:	207435

It might not be a name. Might say that it was repaired in (maybe “Janvier”- January) in any case the mark of the restorer, maybe not the maker.

Also do us a favor and post some essential photos here for later referral or as we say posterity.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

If it’s relevant, the gloo “ooze” aappears to post date the writing.

It could be because the repairs carried out by him were tied to a different problem than the cracks in the top (they are filled with wood the traditional way, no need to open the instrument for that).