Thread: Eastwood TG-150 players?

Default Eastwood TG-150 players?

Hello guys, I'm guessing that this topic will have come up before. Anyone got hands-on with the new Eastwood TG-150? (https://eastwoodguitars.co.uk/products/eastwood-tg-150)

The TG-150 clearly takes inspiration from Gibson jazzers, and would be pretty close to the seldom seen ES-125C (one front pickup, deep body, cutaway, dot inlays) but for the fact that it's a four-string.

I'm a sucker for big-body tenors and I like the looks very much, but I wasn't blown away with the demo by R J Ronquillo (although I've enjoyed his playing in other contexts). It sounded a bit thin to me, and I don't like the idea of a body of maple-faced basswood.

But it looks like a lot of guitar from $900.

Apparently Eastwood have shipped 60 of these already. Does that include anyone on the board?

Best, NP

Default Re: Eastwood TG-150 players?

I noticed them on their site but otherwise know nothing. They look like a cheap way to get into that type of tenor with some modern build efficiencies. Pricing is okay - not good or bad.

The Gibson this is modeled after was a bottom-end no-frills model so the choice is interesting. Single P90 Gibsons weren't that popular witnessed by a lot on the used market. Pre-Covid prices for originals were around $1400 in good shape.

My take is that this will be a plywood built hollow-body with a P90. The plywood is good for helping with feedback but will leave it with questionable acoustic volume and tone. P90s can sound good but they are single-coil and prone to 60 cycle hum; since this is a full hollow body there is no way to properly shield the pickups and electronics. Hollow bodies are very susceptible to violent feedback at gigging levels.

So if you don't plan on using distortion or gig this may have some utility as a home-studio piece. Swapping in a mini-humbucker will get around the P90 noise problems but hollow-bodies feedback like crazy - which is why the semi-hollow build became so popular.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -