Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this pick?

Default What is this pick?

I found this pick in the Traveling Sampler #2, and have been playing with it alot and liking it. Anyone know what it is? It is about 1.3mm thick, slightly concave, and maybe looks like it was hand shaped. There's another similar one in there that's thicker, but I like the thinner one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pick from sampler.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	207181

If it's not a crazy expensive one, I might like to get one of my own
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Default Re: What is this pick?

Guessing from the look of it that it might be made from buffalo horn.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Is it really stiff? Horn is much stiffer than plastic.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

It's really stiff, almost crisp, if that makes sense. It does look/seem more like a natural material to me.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

If the stripe were vertical, it would look like my Buffalo horn pick. Really stiff, with the little recess for my thumb.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

It has a curvature to it, and it looks like it was hollowed out a bit by scraping or similar, but it's not an actual formed round/oval recess for the thumb.

Absent burning it and smelling burnt protein, horn is denser than some plastics and will sink in water, is more electrically conductive, so won’t static charge like plastics. However, so many materials are used in picks that some plastics may behave the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I found this pick in the Traveling Sampler #2, and have been playing with it alot and liking it. Anyone know what it is? It is about 1.3mm thick, slightly concave, and maybe looks like it was hand shaped. There's another similar one in there that's thicker, but I like the thinner one.

Name:	pick from sampler.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	207181

If it's not a crazy expensive one, I might like to get one of my own
    I, too, liked that pick in Sampler #2. I suspect it might be buffalo horn. I tried one in that material years ago and liked it.

10. The following members say thank you to Rdeane for this post:

Yes, definitely some sort of horn. I bought three horn picks, at a show, some years ago. Very hard and thick. Never got on with them. Came in a nice container though!

I have found this craftsperson in France who makes picks from natural materials. Many from cow horn, but also other horn, bone, antlers, wood, etc. They come in different shapes and thicknesses starting at 1mm.

My French is pretty rusty, but he sure sounds good.
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Apr-24-2023 at 5:23pm.

Looks a lot like the the Golden Gate horn picks. I have not tried them, but there was a horn pick in #1 that got me thinking about it.
    2004 Gibson F5 Alan Bibey Signature Series
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A
    NoName "finish it yourself" Ebay beater F

14. The following members say thank you to Stopstop for this post:

It has a curvature to it, and it looks like it was hollowed out a bit by scraping or similar, but it's not an actual formed round/oval recess for the thumb.
    Years ago, when I experimented with horn ( bison or cow ) picks, I liked the tone but found that when they warmed up under my thumb and forefinger they would warp. Also after a time would become noisy due to wear.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Sue, here’s some horn picks on fleabay that look nice…
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/174353591615

17. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

Blog Entries

I have purchased horn picks from Dugain, also in France. https://www.dugainplectrums.com/

He makes picks from wood, horn, bone, coconut shell, as well as acetate, delrin, and acrylic. He is known for the shape of his picks being very ergonomic. What I did not care for is that the ergonomic design limited how one can hold the pick, and if that hold isn't for you, you are stuck. Of course, if they work for you, they work for you.

Picks are an adventure!
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

19. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    ... Picks are an adventure!
    Sure enough. I am down a rabbit hole with these, and am only 1/3 of the way through the TPS#2 and only on one mandolin!

I bought some of the ebay ones that Skip linked to above, and also a trio of golden gate ones (which seem to be unavailable in most locations - perhaps discontinued?)

After I check these out, I might contact the folks in France. There's a couple coconut shell ones in the sampler as well, so I wonder if some of these are from the maker that Jeff mentioned above.

Probably I'll put one of each in the TPS#2 if I get them in time.

Is there a list of what all the picks are? If not, wouldn’t that be helpful especially in this case where someone might want to buy one that they like? Or am I being unreasonable as usual?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Is there a list of what all the picks are? If not, wouldn’t that be helpful especially in this case where someone might want to buy one that they like? Or am I being unreasonable as usual?
    They're roughly grouped/sorted into several bags. Most are easy to identify as they say what they are on the pick; others (eg. the one being discussed here) are a little more obscure. I will probably do a little more sorting, and if I get my horn ones in time to add, will put them in a labelled bag. Continuous improvement

duplicate post oops

If you sand or file the pick a tiny bit, I think you’ll be able to tell by the smell.

I am still searching for the perfect pick. Even tried some loose scutes from a tortoise shell a friend gave me. They sounded pretty good, but my pieces were too small to be practical.

I got the Golden Gate (MP20) picks in today. They seem kind of cheesy to me, the edges aren't shaped at all, maybe like pick blanks. No bevel or taper at all. Maybe some people like to get them this way, so they can customize them perfectly. They are about the same size and thickness as the pick under discussion.

As the song goes, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for..."

I have found this craftsperson in France who makes picks from natural materials. Many from cow horn, but also other horn, bone, antlers, wood, etc. They come in different shapes and thicknesses starting at 1mm.

My French is pretty rusty, but he sure sounds good.
    Thanks Sue!

I'm not looking for a new pick but I just went down a rabbit hole of watching Bernard and his musical partner Daniel in "Mandolin Duo".
    Wow.

I wish I could play "Indifference" with such fluency!
    Back to the practice routine!

27. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

I think throwing a bunch of unmarked picks in a pick sampler is a brilliant practical joke!
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

29. The following members say thank you to Murphy Slaw for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I have purchased horn picks from Dugain, also in France. https://www.dugainplectrums.com/

He makes picks from wood, horn, bone, coconut shell, as well as acetate, delrin, and acrylic. He is known for the shape of his picks being very ergonomic. What I did not care for is that the ergonomic design limited how one can hold the pick, and if that hold isn't for you, you are stuck. Of course, if they work for you, they work for you.

Picks are an adventure!
    I believe this pick from the Sampler could be one of these Dugain ones that you mentioned, Jeff.

Name:	possible dugain side 1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	246.3 KB 
ID:	207386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	possible dugain side 2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	207387

I got the Rocky Mountain Slides buffalo horn picks in as well. They were nicer (and less expensive) than the GG, but thicker than the mystery pick. I sent along one of each of my acquisitions (labeled!) with the sampler. The quest continues.

So, I've continued to look for horn picks like the one found in the Traveling Sampler (see OP), and I received these on Wednesday. They are very similar, and were pretty inexpensive.

Name:	buffalo picks 10-23.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	460.0 KB 
ID:	210227

I messaged the seller to find out if he makes these or has them regularly. It turns out (sadly) the answer is no. He is liquidating stock from a music store in California which, he says, featured "Orange Counties largest pick collection. [He] had thousand of picks new and vintage."

Well, there's only a small handful of these horn ones left, but the guy is selling an impressive variety of other picks. NFI, but I'm posting a link to the pick page of his ebay store because there are so many older picks (the store closed in 2012), and PAS is a real thing . He says he's also a mandolin player, and will be posting even more mandolin picks ...
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Oct-29-2023 at 1:35pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    When I organized Sampler #1, I tried to add information to the list as to what the picks were made of, but was not always successful since a number of the new ones are proprietary mixtures. Mostly I got information off the internet, but there are some unmarked miscellaneous picks whose composition is anybody’s guess. I’ll be getting sampler #2 soon, so will do the same with them.