Thread: Paddy Fahy's No. 6 (jig)

Default Paddy Fahy's No. 6 (jig)

I love the way Paddy Fahy often plays around with the modality of his tunes, typically by messing with the 3rd and 7th scale degrees. (The 7th, in the case of this particular tune.)

Thanks for listening!

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Colin Botts For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Paddy Fahy's No. 6 (jig)

I love the way you play around with that mandola!

4. The following members say thank you to Mike Buesseler for this post:

Blog Entries

This works quite well on mandola. I love the overtones, that you probably miss on a higher pitched instrument. Do you have a guitar backing this up. Or are there some ringing 'double stops'?
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    This works quite well on mandola. I love the overtones, that you probably miss on a higher pitched instrument. Do you have a guitar backing this up. Or are there some ringing 'double stops'?
    I went back and overdubbed a second mandola part that comes in on the B part. Guitar or octave mandolin would have probably made more sense as a backing instrument, but the mandola was already in my hands

7. The following members say thank you to Colin Botts for this post:

DougC 

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

This is terrific, I'll have to try it out on mandolin and mandola.

It was my understanding that Paddy Fahey declined to name any of his numerous tunes anything more elaborate than "Paddy Fahey's". As a consequence, I have (for example) three fiddle albums by the Kane sisters, with no fewer than sixteen entries for "Paddy Fahey's": an assortment of jigs and reels, as it turns out when you look further into the context. So I'm startled to see this one designated as "No. 6" and I hope it means that they've all been collected and published so we can agree on which is which. Is there a "definitive" collection?

Or is "Fahey" to be distinguished from "Fahy", and I've got the wrong one? -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

9. The following members say thank you to twaaang for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by twaaang View Post
    This is terrific, I'll have to try it out on mandolin and mandola.

It was my understanding that Paddy Fahey declined to name any of his numerous tunes anything more elaborate than "Paddy Fahey's". As a consequence, I have (for example) three fiddle albums by the Kane sisters, with no fewer than sixteen entries for "Paddy Fahey's": an assortment of jigs and reels, as it turns out when you look further into the context. So I'm startled to see this one designated as "No. 6" and I hope it means that they've all been collected and published so we can agree on which is which. Is there a "definitive" collection?

Or is "Fahey" to be distinguished from "Fahy", and I've got the wrong one? -- Paul
    Nope, you're correct, that was a typo on my part. It is indeed Fahey. Apologies!

I suppose the closest thing there is to a definitive collection would be Maria Holohan's 1995 thesis from The University of Limerick entitled The Tune Compositions of Paddy Fahey.

Interesting points you make about the modality of the tune, Colin. I really like your delivery and that understated backing on mandola. So often less is more!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

12. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

I love Paddy Fahey tunes, and that one sits so nicely on the mandola, lovely stuff Colin!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

14. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post: