Thread: Crossing Muddy Waters - John Hiatt

Default Crossing Muddy Waters - John Hiatt

I don't suppose anyone has mandolin tab for this tune, particularly the opening riff? I have some guitar tab which seems kind of accurate, but transposing it to mando makes my head implode.

Default Re: Crossing Muddy Waters - John Hiatt

Try learning it by ear. It doesn’t sound too hard, mostly chord strums.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The opening riff would be pretty difficult to translate to mando because the sound of the riff depends on the slide from A to B on the third string of the guitar and ringing into the second string B. You would have to get pretty creative on the mando and it still won't sound the same because of the different tuning.

I am going to take back what I said before. I forgot Hiatt does it in A with a capo. When I had done it with a friend of mien he did not capo. Here is a rough draft of the intro in A. It does not quite have all of Hiatt's strumming but it should get you close.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crossing Muddy Waters Intro.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	370.7 KB 
ID:	207313