Thread: Volte written by Michael Praetorius

Default Volte written by Michael Praetorius

This lovely piece of music from the 17th century, written by Michael Praetorius. Please enjoy!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pluckinstrings For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Volte written by Michael Praetorius

Lovely playing, Jason.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

4. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Such a fun tune to play! Did you learn this from the Dix Bruce arrangement? Sounds lovely and thanks for sharing.
    Wee Beastie: Sparrow 5 string electric
    Collings MT-O

Lovely, thanks for sharing! I might have to learn that one!

After Jason's excellent Volte, some more from Praetorius's Terpsichore. This one is labelled Ballet (actually one of a number of ballets in the collection). It has been arranged for guitar on several occasions. This is my own setting for two mandolins. (https://www.dropbox.com/s/em495tkvcp...olins.pdf?dl=0)

Not entirely sure why this is on this thread - also posting under Renaissance.

Very nice, but I am curious, like Richard Carver. My research is into the ways people categorize music: Why was this posted in European Folk, etc. rather than Classical, Orchestral etc.? Praetorius was a master composer, famous for choral and organ compositions as well as his Terpsichore. I am always interested in how and where music fits in people's visions of the musical world. Not criticizing, just curious.
    Jim

Dr James S Imhoff
    Boston University
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

1912 Gibson K4 Mandocello; Thomann Mandocello; Stiver F5; American? Bowlback; Martin 00016; Dusepo Cittern/liuto cantabile

Well Jim, if Jason pops his head in he can answer for himself. I would not have posted here had his post not already been here, but if I wanted a rationale it would be that most (perhaps all) of Terpsichore could be categorized as folk music, since it was a collection of current dance music arranged by Praetorius. The volta that was the original post is certainly a very well known and widely circulated piece, originally from Italy, I think, but to be found in the Dowland lute book, as well as in this arrangement by a German. As for this ballet, I don't know other versions, but I assume that is not Praetorius's own composition either.

More broadly, I have noticed that people with a background in modern traditional music (if you see what I mean) tend to gravitate to Renaissance and early Baroque music much more than to classical and later. Perhaps it's something to do with the period before the primacy of the composer.