Thread: Anyone installed a K&K Mando Twin in a Northfield?

Default Anyone installed a K&K Mando Twin in a Northfield?

I am looking to do this, but I'm concerned that the end pin jack will be too large to fig through the end pin hole on the Gilchrist tailpiece. Anyone have experience with this? I think if I'm going to have to widen the end pin hole, I'm probably going to go with a LR Baggs Radius instead. Or possibly the K&K external version.

Thanks for any adivce.

Default Re: Anyone installed a K&K Mando Twin in a Northfield?

If you take the tailpiece off the mandolin and drill it for the end pin jack it will work fine. You will be much happier doing this than the external or the Radius.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I recently ordered the Gilchrist tailpiece to replace the stock one on my F5S (which I had already fitted with a K&K Twin), and had Kjell drill out the end pin hole on the tailpiece before shipping it. He was very helpful and gracious with instructions on how to install it, and I was able to do it myself with no problems.

I'm sure he would be happy to advise on the correct end pin hole size and placement, so try emailing him at Northfield. IIRC, he just made the existing hole bigger, didn't have to move it at all, and it was no big deal. Agree with pops that it's preferable to an external rig.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

I installed a JJB twin pickup in my Big Mon. I did have to enlarge the hole in the James tailpiece, but it wasn’t difficult to do. I used a step drill (uni-bit) to enlarge the hole in the tail block and the tailpiece.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I’m dropping off my Eastman 514 tonight to have a tech install the K&K Mandolin Twin. While talking to him, I mentioned about having to enlarge the hole in the cast tail piece. He said that yes, he was aware, and that that was the only reason why I couldn’t have it done while I wait.

When I get it back, I’ll give it a test drive and then report my findings to the thread.

I installed one and had no issues
    Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)