Thread: Ireland (pubs and Rory Gallagher Fest)

Default Ireland (pubs and Rory Gallagher Fest)

Hello, I’m headed to Ireland in a couple weeks, of course, bringing a mandolin. I’d love to jam in the pubs, but I wanted to see if the pub jams are typically open to visitors, or do they prefer a specific group of players. Anyone have thoughts on this?
    Also, hope to see some Cafe folks at the Rory Gallagher Fest in Ballyshannon!
    Randy

Default Re: Ireland (pubs and Rory Gallagher Fest)

First off, just a heads up that you won't likely see "jams" advertised here in Ireland - you'll see sessions advertised. Some "sessions" are actually prearranged groups of musicians performing sets of tunes and getting paid to do so - you'll come across this in more tourist heavy areas. Other sessions will be "open" ones, where anyone can sit down and join in if they know the tunes, like the one that happens every week in my local pub (I live in a small town in rural Ireland). So it really depends where you are, what pub you happen to walk into and on what day of the week you walk into it. If you know the tunes being played and can keep up with the pace that those tunes are played at in that particular session then you'll be fine. If on the other hand you don't know the tunes and try to noodle along or improvise/can't keep up with the pace etc. then your reception may be less than enthusiastic. You didn't give any details re: if you have past experience playing irish traditional music or not?
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Jill, thanks for the reply, a lot of good info! Sadly, I have almost no experience in traditional Irish music. I’m a pretty good improviser, which is good for blues, rock, and bluegrass, but as I’ve been listening to Irish music, it sounds like one needs to be very solid on playing the melodies, and at a fast pace. I can play a few tunes, but not enough at this point.
    So I’ll likely just go to listen in the pubs, which will be nice. Thanks again!
    Randy

5. The following members say thank you to Rando100 for this post:

If you're here in early June you'd be in time for the Westport Bluegrass and Folk Festival:

http://www.westportfolkbluegrass.com/
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

At some point, whether at a session or in some other musical or social setting you might get asked to play a tune, and it would be good to prepare for this - a tune from your home country or region could be appreciated.
    Keep it simple and focus on the melody, at least at first.
    Bren

Thanks, looks like a great festival!

Thanks Bren, this is good to know.