Thread: Clareen mandolins

Default Clareen mandolins

Hey all!

I’m looking at getting a clareen mandolin in the near future but am unable to find much about them online. I can find one YouTube short showing off the mahogany model, and a review on this forum of the rosewood model but not much else.

If anyone has had any experience with these mandolins and could share their thoughts that would be great! Or if you’re aware of any videos or sound files showing off these mandolins.

I’m mainly interested in the A2 rosewood model but any information is good!

Default Re: Clareen mandolins

Did you look in their website? There is a video of A2 being played here. https://www.banjo.ie/product/clareen-cb-sh-a2-rosewood/
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Did you look in their website? There is a video of A2 being played here. https://www.banjo.ie/product/clareen-cb-sh-a2-rosewood/
    I'm a bit confused. It looks like she's playing a teens Gibson, not a Clareen A2. There is a short video of the mahogany model that the OP mentioned. That one sounds pretty good to me. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/hgsWM7E2bhk

Looks like a Gibson to me.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Yeah the video on the page for the A2 rosewood is for some reason a different mandolin.

Information seems pretty sparse on these mandolins. But I love my tenor banjo I got from clareen so interested in what their mandolins are like.

I’m also from U.K. and getting hold of anything that’s an upgrade from an Eastman can be quite challenging. So this is an option I’m looking at.

You should have no trouble upgrading from an Eastman mandolin in the UK - plenty of good mandolin makers at decent prices (Paul Shippey for instance). You should be able to find a decent used Shippey for no more than a new Eastman - just a thought.
    Clareen is famous for making banjos - mandolins look like a recent departure, although they have always stocked them. There are other good Irish makers, e.g. Siveen (Paul Evans), if you are in need of the Celtic aura.

Don't forget to factor in the increased import costs from Ireland following Brexit.
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Yes, I did...and they seem to make nice tenor banjos too.

I’ve just been looking into Shippey mandolins and gosh they look and sound beautiful! Is there any other U.K. builders you would recommend looking into?

I’m after a mandolin for Celtic music.

Thank you for all your help guys!

Yeah, upon further examination it does look like a Gibson at least from the different headstock but I was not sure if this was just a variant. It is hard to tell whether the top in the video is flat or carved. I am not sure why thru would post a musician playing a Gibson on their site. If I were the OP I would write to them and see what they say.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by MrPitchy View Post
    I’ve just been looking into Shippey mandolins and gosh they look and sound beautiful! Is there any other U.K. builders you would recommend looking into?

Phil Davidson

Quote Originally Posted by MrPitchy View Post

Here is a recent thread you might find relevant.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...olin-in-the-UK
    David A. Gordon

I’ve contacted clareen and they were really helpful! They are going to make a video of the A2 rosewood model and send me the link tomorrow.