Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Bussman passes

Default Bill Bussman passes

I just got the news from other bandmates that Bill died, apparently from a Heart Attack while bicycling. As a bandmate of nearly 20 years I am dumbstruck, Bill was only 74, younger by 3 years than me, only to remind us that death is not only unfair but inevitable. I know many of you you knew him, many more owned Old Wave instruments and legions knew of his quirkiness with the watermelon mandolin, the cheese head mandolin and the well lit Pontiac F85 gas tank bass.

I thought you should know.

Perhaps keep a caring and kind thought for Suz and the boys.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to 3apltrez For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Bill Bussman passes

So sad. Life is so fragile and too short. Prayers for Bill’s family.

Condolences to his friends and family. Bill was one of the funniest guys I never met. My main connection to him was right here in these forums. And I loved his attitude toward luthiery and life. RIP.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Bill was a hometown boy, from the St. Louis area. I had the pleasure of interviewing him several years ago. When I was in New Mexico a few years ago
    I gave him a call and spent an afternoon in his shop talking luthierie, and assorted other guy things and BS. He was quite the character, fun to be around and a great guy, not to mention all the wonderful instruments he built. He will be missed. Rest in peace Bill!

6. The following members say thank you to Joe Mendel for this post:

Dang. I’m headed to Las Cruces next week and was gonna drop by Caballo on my way to have a cuppa coffee with Bill. What a cool dude.

Long live “The Vegematic Sting Band”

This pretty much hits the nail on the head:

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...andolin-maker/

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Roberts For This Useful Post:

It is with my saddest heart to announce the passing of my good friend of 37 years Bill Bussman. So many around the world knew him through his luthier talents with Old Wave Mandolins. I know this from my own experience, I play one of his Octave mandolins at every performance. Legacy!

Bill didn’t hold a malice bone in his body. Through his kindness and love he helped anyone and everyone he could young and old. Hosted various events and festivals raised garlic for years and along with his loving wife Sue raised a talented and kind loving family.

Bill’s humor often had no limits. I was telling someone about that just this past weekend at a music camp how he could even make a dog laugh. I know my dogs would chuckle when he was here!

Bill and I talked just yesterday about a few things on the radar for the near future. It’s hard to let those words go.

In closing I’ll add the warranty on Old Wave Mandolins stated that is was “good for the life of the maker”. The warranty has expired friends so I guess he gets the last laugh after all.

No word on friends and family contacts and condolences at this time all I know is there will be a memorial in the future. So tip one back. Long live Bill Bussman and Old Wave instruments.

Steve Smith
    Steve Smith

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to desertnight For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

RIP to someone with one of the best senses of humor that I've even encountered. This one comes as a surprise.
    Condolences to his family and friends.

Ah no, what sad news! I always enjoyed Bill's contributions to the forum and admired his instruments. RIP and condolences to his family and friends.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Bill was a true one off. My melon mandolin is incredible, who else could do that? I believe Mr Gruhn also has or had one. I sold many brilliant mandolins and octaves from Bill. I also persuaded him to sell me his own and first guitar bodied octave on a visit, he recently asked if I still had it because he wanted to buy it back, unfortunately I had sold it.

The funniest and kindest man I have ever met. R.I.P.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

So many memories off Bill. I had seen one of his mandolins in the much missed Mandolin Brothers and managed to squeeze a visit to him into a family holiday and ordered an octave/mandola/mandolin, a long story but ultimately leading to the birth of TAMCO. No Bill = no TAMCO, 20 + years. The memories just keep flooding in. A am sure he will be missed by many.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Blog Entries

Bill was a world class guy, the kind of person you always wanted to be around. Only met him a couple of times but had plenty of opportunities to email over the years. A gentle soul to be sorely missed by his family and friends. Rest in peace.

Bill made this world a better place with his watermelon mandolins, good humor and thoughtfulness. My condolences to all his family and friends.

RIP Mr. Bussman, you were a very bright light in this world.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roberts View Post
    This pretty much hits the nail on the head:

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...andolin-maker/
    That is as fine a tribute as anyone could ask for.

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

We met once, in 2008 at Zoukfest in Santa Fe, NM, and it was like we had known each other for decades. One of the really good people of the world.

I have written and re-written this post, and cannot express the sadness that I feel at Bill's passing. I knew him for 12 years, have several Old Wave instruments, and considered him a friend although I only saw him at most once a year when we would vacation in New Mexico. A wonderful craftsman, bass player, and one of the funniest people I have ever known. I will treasure the picture of him "making final adjustments" to my OW mandocello with an outsized pipe wrench. Lots of other memories, too many for this post.

Deepest condolences to Sue and his family. Bill was a true original, and will be missed.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

This really hurts. So many fond memories of Bill. I always looked forward to morning jams with Bill on the porch of the bakery in Telluride during the festival. Bill playing the standup bass with the Elvis head (oxygen tube attached for the high altitude) and the sneaker on the foot of the bass that tapped in time. It also had a cutaway with a cupholder attached. His friend playing the Old Wave with the scrollectomy complete with bandage. Many jams at Pagosa and other festivals filled with fine music and always much laughter. I got to visit his shop a few times and he made me the most gorgeous oval hole A body octave that I will treasure even more. Such a wonderful human being. Such a loss. Condolences to all who knew him and to his family.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

if it wasn't for this place, I'da never known about Bill Bussman. RIP to an awesome contributor and seemingly fun-loving guy.

Condolences to all his friends and family. Quite the reminder for us all.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

am very sad to hear this news. I've enjoyed his conversation, advice, and input on the Cafe for decades. His wit and humor, along with his cool and often quirky builds are legend. I've had a couple of his instruments in hand and always liked them. Lord knows I hoped to win the instruments he donated for a fundraising raffle.

My most sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

He was a great guy and a friend. And what a sense of humor! I used to own the only mandocello he ever built. Wish I still had it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bussmann cello.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	207480

I have owned and cherished two of Bill's instruments. I didn't know him well, but always appreciated his posts here, his humor, and his friendly correspondence with me about his instruments. RIP and may his memory be a blessing.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

I never had the privilege of meeting him in person but dang, I sorta felt like I knew him a little bit from reading his posts on this forum. I always wanted to be like him when I grow up - he seemed to be having the most fun in his life. And he built a lot of fine instruments. I'm so sorry for his family and friends.
    Clark Beavans

28. The following members say thank you to tree for this post:

Sad news indeed. In addition to his humor and the fun style instruments, I appreciated the way he sought out and shared his knowledge about local/ native/desert wood species in his builds. Always wanted to try one of Bill's C# style with F-holes.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

A talented, funny guy. Sad, but we never know how or when we will go.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO