Thread: Pick Up in the Gold Tone OM-800

Default Pick Up in the Gold Tone OM-800

Hi folks,

I've done a search for this question, but couldn't find a result.

What's the general opinion of the pick-up included in the Gold Tone OM-800? Are they good, good enough or do they need upgrading? This would be for live use and not recording.

If you have upgraded, what do you choose and was the process tricky?

I may go with the Gold Tone BZ-1000 instead as it has a pre-installed active pick-up. I do think I'd prefer the wider nut and shorter scale length of their OM, but live sound is a consideration before deciding.

Thanks!

Tim
    thepurecanada.com

Default Re: Pick Up in the Gold Tone OM-800

Hmm. No opinions? I'm surprised given that it's a fairly popular choice for a first OM or Zouk.
    thepurecanada.com

Doesn't practice enough

I'd say don't get a bouzouki if you want an OM, they are very different instruments and a pickup is easily swapped. Do you want a bouzouki, with a looooooong scale length and 2 unison/2 octave pairs, or an OM with all unison strings and a much shorter (but still fairly long) scale?

I wouldn't expect either pickup to sound great, honestly.

I think my desire is to play tunes in that range (an octave below mando). I've seen very good accompaniment on the OM, so I feel confident I could use an OM in that role too. Zouks are a bit long in scale length for tunes, I find. If the pickups are trash, I'll swap.
    thepurecanada.com

I have an OM-800+, it is just your typical piezo pickup and has limited onboard control. The Hora it replaced actually had more sophisticated on board controls and arguably better sound(Horas are all solid wood, the OM-800 just solid top), but the Gold Tone does have much better fit, finish, playability. Mic'ing your OM in some fashion will sound much better than any piezo pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    I have an OM-800+, it is just your typical piezo pickup and has limited onboard control. The Hora it replaced actually had more sophisticated on board controls and arguably better sound(Horas are all solid wood, the OM-800 just solid top), but the Gold Tone does have much better fit, finish, playability. Mic'ing your OM in some fashion will sound much better than any piezo pickup.
    I would mic if we weren't playing with drums and electric bass. Thanks for your thoughts on the quality differences between the Hora and Goldtone!
    thepurecanada.com

I think the Gold Tone would get the job done fine in that setting. I still have a Hora bouzouki, I tune it in the Greek manner though. I use it as an interesting alternative to the typical lead guitar sound.

8. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

pdawg 

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    I think the Gold Tone would get the job done fine in that setting. I still have a Hora bouzouki, I tune it in the Greek manner though. I use it as an interesting alternative to the typical lead guitar sound.
    Thanks, Seter. I feel I may be overthinking this, but I like lots of info too.
    thepurecanada.com