Thread: New member looking for help _Ibanez mandolin

Default New member looking for help _Ibanez mandolin

Hi, I have been watching this forum for quite some time and found it very useful and informative.
    Can anyone give me some information about this Ibanez mandolin which I have acquired as it has a model number 518 but can't find a serial number. I am hoping to find out it's age, materials and construction ad if is of any value.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	207535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	207536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	207537  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm7.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	207538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm6.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	207539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm4.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	207540  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm5.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	207541  

Default Re: New member looking for help _Ibanez mandolin

Looks like probably late 70's. I don't think they bring a lot of money, maybe a few hundred but that's just the used market. I didn't see this particular model in completed auctions on Ebay, often a good way to get an idea of what they sold for. Hope this helps.

https://parlorparlor.reidsrow.com/20...-518-mandolin/
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

This is always my go-to resource for anything Ibanez - http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/ You’ll find the 518 in the catalogue from 1976 - the one with with a picture of Bill Monroe on the front.

For what it’s worth, my old 524 from the same year doesn’t have a serial number either (or a label).

P.S. do you have any connection withe Lochinver? Love the pie shop!

Only thing I see from the photos is that it’s a laminate (plywood) top, and the top may have sunk a bit. Usually not signs of great resale. Not to say you can’t play it and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    This is always my go-to resource for anything Ibanez - http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/ You’ll find the 518 in the catalogue from 1976 - the one with with a picture of Bill Monroe on the front.

For what it’s worth, my old 524 from the same year doesn’t have a serial number either (or a label).

P.S. do you have any connection withe Lochinver? Love the pie shop!
    Thank you for your reply. I have looked at that catalogue but the headstock is different, mine has an engraved pattern on it and the one in the catalogue looks plain.

Lochinver is one of my favourite places and the pie shop also one of my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Only thing I see from the photos is that it’s a laminate (plywood) top, and the top may have sunk a bit. Usually not signs of great resale. Not to say you can’t play it and have fun.
    Thank you for your reply. The photos may have suggested the top has sunk a bit but looking at it that doesn't seem to be the case. The action and intonation is really good.
    How can I tell that it is a plywood top.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochinver3 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. The photos may have suggested the top has sunk a bit but looking at it that doesn't seem to be the case. The action and intonation is really good.
    How can I tell that it is a plywood top.
    It actually may or may not be a laminated top. Many manufacturers put a thin layer of veneer on the inside where they cut the f holes in order to brace them up a bit. Reach inside the f hole with your finger and see of you can feel a ridge of wood about an inch or less around the hole. Post what you find there as well as a picture of the sound hole wood edge. If we can see that we should be able to see if it's laminated or simply beefed up. Either way these aren't worth a whole lot of money. Your mandolin looks nice and the tuners were made by Gotoh.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thank you for your reply, I will do what you have suggested. It is a nice looking mandolin but I am not a mandolin player and don't know if i will take to it. If it is worth next to nothing I will keep hold of it and pass it on to someone who wants to try it, if it's value makes it worthwhile putting it for sale on an auction site then I may do that, I am not expecting it to be worth a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    It actually may or may not be a laminated top. Many manufacturers put a thin layer of veneer on the inside where they cut the f holes in order to brace them up a bit. Reach inside the f hole with your finger and see of you can feel a ridge of wood about an inch or less around the hole. Post what you find there as well as a picture of the sound hole wood edge. If we can see that we should be able to see if it's laminated or simply beefed up. Either way these aren't worth a whole lot of money. Your mandolin looks nice and the tuners were made by Gotoh.
    I have felt inside the f holes and can't feel any ridge. To the inside of the f hole I can feel some bracing approximately 1" from edge of hole and running top to bottom.
    I have attached photos which are not that clear but having looked with a magnifying glass I can't see any signs of there being more wood laminated together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l1.jpg 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	207544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l2.jpg 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	207545  

I stand to be corrected but I see no particular evidence of top sinkage or of it being laminated. You’d need to have the mandolin in hand to confirm either contention. What I think Richard is seeing is a finish line part way down the edge of the F holes.

How much are they asking for it? An appropriate price will also depend on where it’s being sold.

Can’t imagine getting back to Lochinver until the horrendous “North Coast 50” goes out of fashion!

Edit - post was late ‘cos I’d been looking at the catalogues - can’t find an alternative 518. Doesn’t look laminated to me. Best place to look is where the edge of an F hole cuts across the grain - you should see vertical lines all the way through if it’s solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I stand to be corrected but I see no particular evidence of top sinkage or of it being laminated. You’d need to have the mandolin in hand to confirm either contention. What I think Richard is seeing is a finish line part way down the edge of the F holes.

How much are they asking for it? An appropriate price will also depend on where it’s being sold.

Can’t imagine getting back to Lochinver until the horrendous “North Coast 50” goes out of fashion!

Edit - post was late ‘cos I’d been looking at the catalogues - can’t find an alternative 518. Doesn’t look laminated to me. Best place to look is where the edge of an F hole cuts across the grain - you should see vertical lines all the way through if it’s solid.
    I picked it up at a car boot sale for little money.
    Have looked at edge of f holes with a magnifying glass and it seems to be not laminated.

To the inside of the f hole I can feel some bracing approximately 1" from edge of hole and running top to bottom.
    Those would be the tone bars, that is expected.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; May-12-2023 at 5:37pm.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The 518 in the 1976 catalogue is significantly older than the one posted, from what I can see. The headstock is different and the tuners are much newer in style to the type used in the mid-70s on these Japanese mandolins.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I am still a bit unsure of age and construction materials as there seems to be conflicting information available here and elsewhere. There is a suggestion that it is mid 70's due to the fact it has no serial number but the headstock suggests it isn't as old as that. I am now convinced the top is not laminate but don't know what wood is used and does that actually make any difference. Looking at the mandolin it is in fairly good condition with very little fret wear but there are age related cracks in the lacquer finish.
    Having said all that, it looks good, the action is good, intonation is spot on and when played by a mando player it sounds great. All I need to do now is learn how to play it for myself.
    Regards to you all

Having said all that, it looks good, the action is good, intonation is spot on and when played by a mando player it sounds great. All I need to do now is learn how to play it for myself.

Sounds to me like you're all set. Enjoy.
    PS. I know Lochinver well. Often stayed in Clachtoll.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; May-13-2023 at 2:02pm. Reason: Fixed Quote Syntax
    David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    Having said all that, it looks good, the action is good, intonation is spot on and when played by a mando player it sounds great. All I need to do now is learn how to play it for myself.[/

Sounds to me like you're all set. Enjoy.
    PS. I know Lochinver well. Often stayed in Clachtoll.
    I recognise the name - Feis Ross I seem to remember and online guitar tuition during lock down.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; May-13-2023 at 2:02pm. Reason: fixed quote syntax

This link shows a mandolin like the one seen in the 1976 catalogue and shows the tuners which are very different. It is mentioned in the blurb that the headstock shape changed to a more snakehead style and one can be seen and it does not appear to have the added design which I feel came even later. https://parlorparlor.reidsrow.com/20...-518-mandolin/

I also found this one which appears to be the same but there is no date mentioned. You might be able to find the price it sold at. Looking at the case, its inner lining's colour and latches, I would reckon it is from the 1980s or early 1990s.
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...6-afdb012d71e1

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    This link shows a mandolin like the one seen in the 1976 catalogue and shows the tuners which are very different. It is mentioned in the blurb that the headstock shape changed to a more snakehead style and one can be seen and it does not appear to have the added design which I feel came even later. https://parlorparlor.reidsrow.com/20...-518-mandolin/

I also found this one which appears to be the same but there is no date mentioned. You might be able to find the price it sold at. Looking at the case, its inner lining's colour and latches, I would reckon it is from the 1980s or early 1990s.
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...6-afdb012d71e1
    That's very interesting, looks almost as if it's the same instrument but mine doesn't have a case.

Gosh, now I feel like a Grinch for saying anything about the subject mandolin, but I haven’t been able to research what the feared North Coast 50 is, so asking.

Hi, All opinions were welcome and appreciated.
    the North Coast 50 is actually the North Coast 500 and is basically a very popular tour around the coast of Scotland, approximately 500 miles long and hence the name. Loved by some such as the visitors and some businesses that are on the route but hated by locals finding the local roads, some of which are single tracks with passing places, head to tail with campervans and motorhomes. There are not enough facilities such as campsites, suitable parking, litter disposal etc to cope with the influx of visitors.

21. The following members say thank you to Lochinver3 for this post:

Hi, All opinions were welcome and appreciated.
    the North Coast 50 is actually the North Coast 500 and is basically a very popular tour around the coast of Scotland, approximately 500 miles long and hence the name. Loved by some such as the visitors and some businesses that are on the route but hated by locals finding the local roads, some of which are single tracks with passing places, head to tail with campervans and motorhomes. There are not enough facilities such as campsites, suitable parking, litter disposal etc to cope with the influx of visitors.
    Exactly. Sorry for missing a zero off! We’ve done the route many times with a motorhome - in both directions - over the last 30 years, with no problem until somebody decided to make a semi-formal route out of the inadequate roads and facilities. The ruination of the north coast followed close on the heels of that of th Isle of Skye when the made it too easy to get there and there are rumours of other similar routes becoming over-popular.

23. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post: