Thread: Mandolin refret in VA

Default Mandolin refret in VA

Do any of you know of a really good mando repair shop in Va that does good refret and setup. Im in Elkton Va so the closer the better. Just looking for someone that has a good reputation. Thanks.

Default Re: Mandolin refret in VA

It was 5 or 6 years ago but Ward Elliot in Riner did a great job on my Collings MF5 as well as a beater Eastman. Fret dressing and setup on both, so can’t comment on refret, but I was quite pleased and I thought the cost was in line with the work.

I saw he posted recently so you should be able to contact him here. Riner is a couple hours away from you down 81 mostly.
    ssjk

Richie Dotson at Acoustic Box. I think he is in Hopewell now. He will do a superb job on any acoustic repair. I believe he does most of the luthier work for Charles Johnson at Mandolin World Headquarters. The down side is that he is usually extremely busy and you would have to wait awhile to get it done. I would contact him and see when he could do it and hang onto the instrument until he is ready to start the job. I have NFI, but from my own personal experiences he is one of the best luthiers anywhere.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

4. The following members say thank you to Pappyrich for this post:

Jerry Ray in Richmond does great work. He has also done work for Charles Johnson. Here's his business Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...=about_details
    Roger

1920 Martin Style A
    1924 Gibson A2Z "Snakehead"
    Don MacRostie designed Stuart MacDonald A-style kit I built myself.
    2022 Kentucky KM-1000B
    Plus guitars - lots of guitars
    Two banjos, a fiddle, and a tiple

6. The following members say thank you to 20MartinA for this post:

Pickers Supply in Fredericksburg might be able to steer you to someone.

8. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pappyrich View Post
    Richie Dotson at Acoustic Box. I think he is in Hopewell now. He will do a superb job on any acoustic repair. I believe he does most of the luthier work for Charles Johnson at Mandolin World Headquarters. The down side is that he is usually extremely busy and you would have to wait awhile to get it done. I would contact him and see when he could do it and hang onto the instrument until he is ready to start the job. I have NFI, but from my own personal experiences he is one of the best luthiers anywhere.
    Thank you. I actually had Ritchie recut the the neck heal on one of my prewar Gibson banjos a couple of years ago, and he did a great job. I dont know why I didn't think about him. I'm sure he can do the work also.

Thanks ssjk. That would be a reasonable distance also. I'm actually checking for the guy who plays mandolin with me. His older F5G is in need of some attention. I play some mandolin also. But thankfully my frets are good right now. I'm going to pass this info on to him. I appreciate all the suggestions. EE

I just tried to contact Jerry through Facebook. I got a reply that says he is not currently taking any new work. Just passing that along. Thanks, EE

I wonder if Huss & Dalton in Staunton would do it for you. If not, they might give you a good reference.

Having lived in Staunton VA until 3 years ago I used both Vernon Hughes in Timberville and Bishop Stern in Orange, VA. Both did fine work and I would recommend either.

Yep WARD ELLIOT. No ?

Quote Originally Posted by double E View Post
    I just tried to contact Jerry through Facebook. I got a reply that says he is not currently taking any new work. Just passing that along. Thanks, EE
    Too bad. He reset the neck on my 1971 Martin D12-20, repaired shipping damage and reset the neck on my 1951 Martin 00-17, and made a new bridge for my 1963 Guild Mark IV. He also worked on a 19th century parlor guitar I have. He does great work and his rates are reasonable.
    Roger

1920 Martin Style A
    1924 Gibson A2Z "Snakehead"
    Don MacRostie designed Stuart MacDonald A-style kit I built myself.
    2022 Kentucky KM-1000B
    Plus guitars - lots of guitars
    Two banjos, a fiddle, and a tiple

That's a good thought too. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    I wonder if Huss & Dalton in Staunton would do it for you. If not, they might give you a good reference.
    That's a good idea too. Thanks for that. EE

Quote Originally Posted by dor enac View Post
    Having lived in Staunton VA until 3 years ago I used both Vernon Hughes in Timberville and Bishop Stern in Orange, VA. Both did fine work and I would recommend either.
    I have heard Vernon Hughes name mentioned before. And I have been to Bishops shop a couple of times with a friend of mine for some Guitar work. I had thought about him also. I wasn't sure if he did mandolin refretting or not. The members on here have been very helpful and I appreciate it. If anyone else has any comments or suggestions go ahead. I don't know how to make it so I'm notified when someone post on this. I'm sure there's a way. I just come back when I think about it and check the post. �� EE

Quote Originally Posted by mr ken View Post
    Yep WARD ELLIOT. No ?
    Not sure I understand this post. Yep you like Ward. What’s the No? Mean

Both Vernon Hughes and Bishop Stern worked on my Nugget. Vernon installed 7 new frets and Bishop made a new bridge. That’s been 7 or 8 years ago now . The H& D guys don’t do mando work. Timberville is close to Elkton.

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    Both Vernon Hughes and Bishop Stern worked on my Nugget. Vernon installed 7 new frets and Bishop made a new bridge. That’s been 7 or 8 years ago now . The H& D guys don’t do mando work. Timberville is close to Elkton.
    Thank you for the info. I just messaged Vernon to see what he has to say. 😊 EE

Quote Originally Posted by double E View Post
    Not sure I understand this post. Yep you like Ward. What’s the No? Mean
    He is one of best no??.SORRY I'M A DUMB SO &SO. Next time i'll write a book .Ward is a good guy anyone that gets his work will not be sorry.