Thread: Tonedexter question....

Default Tonedexter question....

I have a Tonedexter I use for my Martin guitar (with K&K) and love it.

I want to be able to use it with my mandolin but read on the TD website that there is a different firmware version for mandolin (HGH).

So my question is, does anyone use Tonedexter with the GEN (guitar) firmware with their mandolin?

Default Re: Tonedexter question....

I use it with both. You do need to download the HGH version, but that version handles both guitar and mandolin.

Guitar is stored in wave maps nos 1 - 11 and mandolin is stored in nos 12 - 22. You have to use the A/B switch on the back of the unit to change between the 2 banks of numbered wave maps.
    Clark Beavans

Thanks!

I use the GEN firmware with mandolins because I also run guitar and an octave through it. I don't think I'm giving anything up on the high end and the sound is impressive.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Quote Originally Posted by gspiess View Post
    I use the GEN firmware with mandolins because I also run guitar and an octave through it. I don't think I'm giving anything up on the high end and the sound is impressive.
    Wouldn’t the HGH firmware provide the best of both worlds? Guitar and octave on 1-11 and mandolin on 12-21?

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    Wouldn’t the HGH firmware provide the best of both worlds? Guitar and octave on 1-11 and mandolin on 12-21?
    Possibly, but now I don't have to lean down and flip a switch on the back of the unit to reach the correct bank whenever I change out an instrument. I can just mute, swap out, and tap over to the corresponding wave map.

I think some of my concerns have been addressed with the new version, but there are improvements I'd like to see with the Tonedexter. It would be great if each wavemap would also store the volume, mix, and EQ settings; and I'd like it if it had up and down buttons for getting to each wave map.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Ah, good point. I have actually just been running my octave in bypass because it sounded decent straight out of the pickup and I hadn’t mapped it yet, but had intended to spend some time tweaking things soon. Maybe I’ll try a mandolin on channels 1-11 just for comparison so I can have both on the same bank. I still like the idea of having good maps for all the mandolins on the upper range and good maps for the octaves and guitars down low, and maybe a passable map or two for a stage mandolin on the lower bank for convenient switching. I hadn’t thought about the hassle of finding that switch in the dark on stage.