Thread: Tremolo position

Kai Fogelquist

Question Tremolo position

Hey y'all I have been trying to hone my tremolo technique and I'm wondering where you hold your right hand? I sometimes rest the base of my palm right behind the bridge but I'm wondering if I should be practicing with my palm floating above the bridge. Also I noticed that Andrew Marlin slides his right hand pretty high up the neck when doing tremolo.

Ok one more thought... I have started playing a couple songs in 3/4. When do you use a rest stroke in 3/4?

Thank you for the guidance!

Default Re: Tremolo position

Quote Originally Posted by Kwigles View Post
    Hey y'all I have been trying to hone my tremolo technique and I'm wondering where you hold your right hand? I sometimes rest the base of my palm right behind the bridge but I'm wondering if I should be practicing with my palm floating above the bridge. Also I noticed that Andrew Marlin slides his right hand pretty high up the neck when doing tremolo.
    First, I recommend never resting your picking hand on the bridge...or anything else. Some players do those things, or plant the little finger, but most of the older mandolin methods showed a free floating right hand. That said, many people play well and do plant their little finger, etc.

"Andrew Marlin slides his right hand pretty high up the neck when doing tremolo."

Many mandolin players in his style do tend to play "sul tasto" - that means toward or over the fingerboard - when playing, particularly when using tremolo.

That's not where most classical and Italian players typically position their hand for most playing except for certain effects.

Here's an example:

Frankly it depends on what style music you want to play and what sound you are going for. If you primarily want to play American roots and folk music, you'll just have to imitate the players you like best.

3. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

for tremolo working in "measured" tremolo helps immensely, this is tricky and requires a lot of "mundane" practice.
    you play tremolo slowly with a metronome , hitting the string on each beat starting at say 100bpm or so.
    gradually increase the number of pick strokes per beat (don't speed up the metronome)-by dividing each beat further with the tremolo pick strokes, so if you played 2 pick strokes each beat - try 4 and then 8 and so on.
    So don't speed up the metronome but get more pick strokes per beat.

the other thing discussed from a recent work shop was always start tremolo on the down stroke.

the hand should barely touch the bridge, its important not to put pressure on the bridge with the right hand, this takes focus and practice over time.

as for a rest in 3/4, it depends on how its written, but always count 3 even if you don't play the beat.
    western "waltz" time is ooom pah pah.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

Interesting that Andrew Marlin is mentioned. I've tried that tremelo style and I don't know how he does it.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

7. The following members say thank you to gspiess for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by gspiess View Post
    Interesting that Andrew Marlin is mentioned. I've tried that tremolo style and I don't know how he does it.
    That's why I say that many mandolin techniques can be style and genre specific...and that many people play well in spite of their technique, not because of it.

9. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

When you tremolo hold your pick at more of an angle, at least getting started. It will allow you to hit the strings hard with little resistance and less volume. As you get better you will be able to use less of an angle. I still use some angle when playing a tremolo as I think it is smoother sounding. Start by rotating your pick about 45 degrees to the strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

11. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I remember hearing someone in a podcast say that they actually rest the pick on the fretboard to play tremolo … something that seems impossible to me … but he pulls it off beautifully. Viva la difference!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    When you tremolo hold your pick at more of an angle, at least getting started. It will allow you to hit the strings hard with little resistance and less volume. As you get better you will be able to use less of an angle. I still use some angle when playing a tremolo as I think it is smoother sounding. Start by rotating your pick about 45 degrees to the strings.
    That would work better with thick and rounded picks than with thinner (but stiff) pointed picks.

Kai Fogelquist

What an amazing community! I post one comment and suddenly I have all the guidance I need. Appreciate it

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kwigles For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Kwigles View Post
    What an amazing community!
    IMHO, the best on the web, hands down. Don’t be a stranger, come often, stay late lol
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Great question and very helpful suggestions! I have “mad respect” for all you guys! (Trying to sound hip at 68 next month!)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    That would work better with thick and rounded picks than with thinner (but stiff) pointed picks.
    I don't have a really pointed pick, but with a regular, thinner pick I still rotate some. The 45 degrees is to get a start learning, I don't rotate near that much, but I never do a tremolo with the pick flat to the strings, I don't thinks it sounds as smooth, and it is more work. A friend of mine points his picks really sharp, I'll have to try and remember to try one of his and see how it works. Don't hold your breath waiting for my memory, it's not what it used to be.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

20. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    First, I recommend never resting your picking hand on the bridge...or anything else. Some players do those things, or plant the little finger, but most of the older mandolin methods showed a free floating right hand. That said, many people play well and do plant their little finger, etc.

"Andrew Marlin slides his right hand pretty high up the neck when doing tremolo."

Many mandolin players in his style do tend to play "sul tasto" - that means toward or over the fingerboard - when playing, particularly when using tremolo.

That's not where most classical and Italian players typically position their hand for most playing except for certain effects.

Here's an example:

Frankly it depends on what style music you want to play and what sound you are going for. If you primarily want to play American roots and folk music, you'll just have to imitate the players you like best.
    David, you can’t post stuff like this on MC without also posting the notation.

https://youtu.be/xU-0hJFm1Lw

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    David, you can’t post stuff like this on MC without also posting the notation.
    https://mandolincafe.com/forum/threa...40#post1605340

the whole book

https://vmirror.imslp.org/files/imgl...o_parte_2a.pdf

just the piece you want

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	483824731-munier-metodo-pratico-completo-parte-2a-1-pdf (dragged).pdf 
Views:	70 
Size:	956.8 KB 
ID:	207780

Sure. There you go, Simon.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    for tremolo working in "measured" tremolo helps immensely, this is tricky and requires a lot of "mundane" practice.
    you play tremolo slowly with a metronome , hitting the string on each beat starting at say 100bpm or so.
    gradually increase the number of pick strokes per beat (don't speed up the metronome)-by dividing each beat further with the tremolo pick strokes, so if you played 2 pick strokes each beat - try 4 and then 8 and so on.
    So don't speed up the metronome but get more pick strokes per beat.

the other thing discussed from a recent work shop was always start tremolo on the down stroke.

the hand should barely touch the bridge, its important not to put pressure on the bridge with the right hand, this takes focus and practice over time.

as for a rest in 3/4, it depends on how its written, but always count 3 even if you don't play the beat.
    western "waltz" time is ooom pah pah.
    Sometimes there's confusion over the actual meaning of words. E.g., in his d'Addario video, Mike Marshall says something like "the palm of your hand touches the strings behind the bridge ever so slightly" which at least one member interpreted as MM being a huge fan of resting your hand at that spot. I've developed two techniques; on a mando with pickguard, I brush (ever so lightly) with my fingertips across the guard (because it's there), on a mando without one I brush with the palm of my hand across the strings behind the bridge.

I don't know whether my tremolo is misurato or non misurato in general, and I don't think of it as faster or more of anything. Seems applying a certain amount of pressure against the strings will trigger that motion -- as if it was there from the very beginning. I use tremolo very sparingly, and often in short bursts. E.g., on a medium waltz, a figure comprising a dotted quarter note and three eighth notes will mostly come out as three sixteenths and three eighths. But I'm not really sure. On mando hangout you can hear my rendition (from 2007) of Watson Blues, where sometimes I use tremolo over several bars, sometimes in short bursts with a definite beginning and end, and sometimes let it just evaporate. Those are conscious decisions in actual performance.

26. The following members say thank you to ralph johansson for this post: