Thread: A long-stored, unplayed mandolin--what to expect?

Default A long-stored, unplayed mandolin--what to expect?

Here’s a question from a relative newbie to the mandolin (about 2 years, but with plenty of other amateur musical background since a long-ago child-hood --choral, accordion, guitar, piano, classical recorders, and other instruments). I’ve just picked up a 2009 Collings MT as an upgrade to a Kentucky KM-161. Lovely bright sound, good responsiveness, wonderful sustain, great build, and several of the other characteristics one can read about on this forum and elsewhere about Collings mandolins. Maybe a little light in the lower range. The previous (and original) owner claims to have rarely played this instrument. It mostly sat in its humidity-controlled case for the past 14 years. All of the evidence indicates he is telling the truth--the case (also original) is in great shape, the mando is in mint condition with zero signs of wear or tear, the original documentation for both the case and the mando are still in the case, and the seller (an active guitarist) played a only few simple chords before handing it to me to try out.

So . . . my question, out of plain impatient curiosity: does anyone have a prediction if, when I play it my usual 1-1.5 hours per day (I still have a day-job), the mando may “break in” some? I haven’t had enough experience with other mandolins to be able to tell if the bright tone is set in or may mellow and mature in ways lots of others in this forum have described. I’ll be satisfied with either, but it’s interesting to speculate how a quality instrument might react (or not) to being regularly played after mostly sitting in a case for 14 years. And maybe I’ll just have fun discovering the answer the old-fashioned, patient way. Oh, and I did begin by installing a new set of D’Addario EJ74 Phosphor-Bronze strings.

Default Re: A long-stored, unplayed mandolin--what to expect?

I believe quality mandolins do get better with playing. I also believe they change differently. Mine got brighter on the G string, which is great as it was a little dull. It is warm in the highs. If your mandolin is bright is it bright all the way or just in the high strings? It should change with playing to know how it will change would be anyone's guess.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Strings will also make a big difference. If you are using the 14 year old strings they are likely deader than dead. Put on a fresh set and see what happens. Lots to choose from and they are cheap so experiment until you find the sound you like. Daddario J74's are pretty much a go to, I use monels on mine.

Blog Entries

This is a very contentious issue and there are many many threads arguing it out. Either or both breaking in or waking up. With very learned experienced people on both sides. And among those who swear to a difference in the sound, there is discussion as to whether it is the instrument getting used to the player, or the player getting used to the instrument. Is the wood responding to the vibration or is it a player's better accommodation of the instruments idiosyncrasies.

All I have learned in the many years of reading these threads is that everyone is absolutely sure about their experience and their point of view.

So the real take away wisdom is to never buy a mandolin whose sound you don't love but are hoping it will improve with playing.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I hadn't thought about how each instrument might change differently, but that makes good sense, given how each starts out a little differently, too, even if from the same builder, same year, same model, etc. And given how complex a well-built mandolin would be . . . . The brightness is more notable in the higher strings. The G string is more subdued in comparison. So, alongside the pleasure of playing such a fine instrument, I'll have the enjoyment of a changing relationship. Cannot help but be fun.

I hardly bothered to even play it before changing the strings. Haven't experimented much with strings except to discover that as with the guitar, I'm not a fan of heavy-gauge strings in general. I don't think the strings he had on there were super-old, but he did say he hadn't changed them in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    This is a very contentious issue and there are many many threads arguing it out. Either or both breaking in or waking up. With very learned experienced people on both sides. And among those who swear to a difference in the sound, there is discussion as to whether it is the instrument getting used to the player, or the player getting used to the instrument. Is the wood responding to the vibration or is it a player's better accommodation of the instruments idiosyncrasies.

All I have learned in the many years of reading these threads is that everyone is absolutely sure about their experience and their point of view.

So the real take away wisdom is to never buy a mandolin whose sound you don't love but are hoping it will improve with playing.
    That's interesting. I did not anticipate much change when I bought it (and I love the sound as is!), but then got to thinking . . .

Blog Entries

There are vivid descriptions of how the wood changes over time, such that an instrument never played can be expected to sound duller because the wood has accommodated that stacis, while an instrument often played, the wood gradually accommodates the increased degree of vibration, and then responds better to playing. And there are very knowledgeable people that say it is bunk. And others who attribute any change to a whole laundry list of other proposed causes, including the owner wanting very much to hear the changes.

And there are manufacturers of devices that artificially provide vibration to the instrument to wake it up. I had a friend who always laid his fiddle against his stereo speakers for this purpose. The fiddle didn't learn any Brahms, but the owner swears it kept the wood from going dormant.

The discussions are interesting, but ultimately, if you love the sound as it is, you can only be pleasantly surprised, and not disappointed.

The entire staff
    funny....

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    This is a very contentious issue ... many threads arguing it out. Either or both breaking in or waking up ... learned experienced people on both sides.
    I was pretty much a disinterested bystander until my '90s Flatiron Festival F went unplayed for maybe 3 years. (It was a bottom of their THEN line, which is still a fairly decent instrument). Looking forward to hearing it again, I sat down to play and... Yikes! Sounded thin & anemic, nothing like I remembered. Recalling said discussions, I sat in the backyard for a few hours, banging out R'n'R chords as loud as possible, helped by a couple of beers. Next day, the expected tone had returned! Just sayin' ...
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Pick choice can make a difference. All of my mandolins have different picks that they like.

I know my instrument changed, and others commented, they heard it too. They weren't playing to get used to the instrument, they were listening. I don't play any different on any of my mandolins, but they definitely change. I know some will disagree, and maybe some instruments don't change, so their opinion is that they don't change. I don't know, and without recording a new instrument with good gear over time we won't have any proof. I don't know how my playing would make my G string brighter and more resonant. If you can tell me how to play and do that I would be most appreciative. I know my G string got brighter, from being dead sounding. Now it is a very balanced, great sounding instrument.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

“A long-stored, unplayed mandolin—what to expect?”

Since it is a Collings, in near mint condition, and you already love it, you may expect for it to sound better and better, you’ll love it more and more, you’ll get better and better at playing it, and, based on the simple fact that you have posted this thread, you’ll strongly believe that it has “awakened” or “opened up.”

Others who listen may also note an improvement in the sound as the two of you settle in to each other.

That’s just IMHO
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

15. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

You already have an excellent instrument that you are pleased with. Regardless of the theories that abound about breaking in or not yours can only get better and certainly not worse. I do think that instruments change by being played but the extent of that process is debatable. I recall a discussion on a guitar forum where someone bought a $15,000 custom guitar and said this one will sound amazing when it breaks in. The other variable in this equation is the player and while some may say that he or she plays every mandolin the exact same way, I notice that I always adjust my playing to each instrument. That is my excuse for owning way too many mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

The 'old fashioned way' is, without doubt, the way you will go.

It is fun to talk but it is more satisfying to play the instrument.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

18. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Blog Entries

Hey, send me any mandolins you do not intend to play for a while. Instead of lying dormant under a bed for 20 years like a vampire gone to ground, the mandolin will experience a frequent powerful work out.

My fee will be nominal, but I need to make enough money to quit my job and play y'all's mandolins full time.

The entire staff
    funny....

20. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Generous offer Jeff! I prefer to store my mandolins in a still, quiet space. It’s just so satisfying to wake them up from dormancy, an act worth repeating from time to time.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Thanks so much everyone for all the helpful comments! Definitely, DougC, "fun to talk but . . . more satisfying to play the instrument." Sorry, Jeff, I'll keep this one plenty occupied. Cheers!

Smile Re: A long-stored, unplayed mandolin--what to expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    You already have an excellent instrument that you are pleased with. Regardless of the theories that abound about breaking in or not yours can only get better and certainly not worse. I do think that instruments change by being played but the extent of that process is debatable. I recall a discussion on a guitar forum where someone bought a $15,000 custom guitar and said this one will sound amazing when it breaks in. The other variable in this equation is the player and while some may say that he or she plays every mandolin the exact same way, I notice that I always adjust my playing to each instrument. That is my excuse for owning way too many mandolins.
    I think the adjustment thing is true, and not necessarily only for expert players. I can feel it when playing my older (now "camping") mandolin compared to the Collings, and I've noticed the same thing with other instruments I play. No two alike, and pay attention to the differences. Kinda like raising kids.