Thread: Early Oval Hole Stradolin? Modified?

Default Early Oval Hole Stradolin? Modified?

I wonder if this oval hole mandolin has been given a bit of a modification- the inlay and the broken cut in the headstock? It is a flat top but it seems to conform to certain features seen on Strad-O-Lins. Those brass tuners make me think about 1930 or so.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23501932301...Bk9SR7jBzPSHYg

2. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Default Re: Early Oval Hole Stradolin? Modified?

Here is one from the Jake Wildwood archive by way of comparison which has its original bridge- which I doubt is the case with the one above. It also has a noticeably arched top and a different fingerboard shape at the sound hole. It seems that the flame on the eBay mandolin's back is clearly visible through the hole!
    https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-mandolin.html

Think this is an early SOL type. But with a partially collapsed top. Maybe why the newer bridge is on there?
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

5. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

I don't think the pick guard is original and surely the bridge is not and I agree with Eric, it looks like the top is at least partially collapsed. It's been stripped and it appears the fretboard may have been changed out and then there's the headstock. That might have been to remove a hole that was drilled to hang it on the wall. That was not uncommon. That is the same flame as mine has inside and out by the way.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Someone must think it is worth $141 plus $39 shipping with FIVE days to go.....

Calling it the Ur-Strad-O-Lin here could push it into really ridiculous ‘value’.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard500 For This Useful Post:

Jake reminded me just the other day (discussing these mandolins) that just because something is uncommon, doesn't necessarily make it uber valuable. He added, though, it also depends on how much you want it. I'd hate to see this proceed to the ridiculous level, as I would really like to have a reasonable specimen some day (prolly not this one).
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; May-22-2023 at 12:07pm.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

12. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Calling it the Ur-Strad-O-Lin here could push it into really ridiculous ‘value’.
    It's a Strad-O-Lin genre mandolin that has seen much better days.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

14. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Jake reminded me just the other day that just because something is uncommon, doesn't necessarily make it uber valuable. He added, though, it also depends on how much you want it. I'd hate to see this proceed to the ridiculous level, as I would really like to have a reasonable specimen some day (prolly not this one).
    Unfortunately people who buy instruments that are uncommon frequently believe that rarity equates to value and Jake has that right. We probably get a half dozen or more unknown instruments posted a month that the poster believes they have found a valuable item because they can't locate any information about them on the Internet. Generally when they are told they haven't got something that they can sell and retire on the proceeds with they don't believe it anyway.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Good points about rarity vs $$$. I think of the 1939-40 Epiphone Windsor mandolin. Super rare, only 3 made, but of those three there always seems to be one lingering on the market with asking prices of $12-15K. So, rare, but little demand, IMHO. In other words, out of 8 billion people there are no buyers.....

The SOL's still represent a lot of coolness for the money, IMHO. Still within the reach of most players who want to try a vintage instrument with a slightly better than Harmony quality.....not to bash Harmony -- I like 'em, too.

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Beautiful solid woods... Awful fit & finish, which would indicate a not so professional top brace repair. I would be more interested if the description said great sounding.

If you want something to play, I would suggest waiting for one that was better taken care of and leave this to a repairman. Although, Jake Wildwood could probably make this sound good for $200 (maybe more, maybe less).