Thread: Did something I never thought I’d do

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Did something I never thought I’d do

So this last Saturday was my monthly Barn Jam. The last two Barn Jams I brought my guitar and my mandolin. This last Saturday I brought just my Eastman 514.

So we go around the circle and take turns calling songs. Someone calls a song I don’t know. I ask what key it’s in and the caller, a guitar player, says “E, but capo 2.”

So I start doing the math in my head - “If I is F# that the IV is…”

Before I know it I’m reaching into my gig bag and I grab the special mandolin-size capo, the one that I never thought I’d ever use, the one that I thought I was an idiot for buying, just a stone-cold sap, and the next thing I know I’m strumming my Mel Bay open chords along with the rest of the group with my capo on 2.

Never thought I’d do that, but I was glad I had it when I needed it.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dan in NH For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Did something I never thought I’d do

Capo's are simply another tool. Enjoy the jams.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

It's a shame that you confessed this error publicly, as the penalty appears to be drawing and quartering. However, you described the exact reason to carry a capo and the exact circumstance in which to use it. Well done!!
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Haywood For This Useful Post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Haywood View Post
    It's a shame that you confessed this error publicly, as the penalty appears to be drawing and quartering. However, you described the exact reason to carry a capo and the exact circumstance in which to use it. Well done!!
    Every time I buy a new guitar, something that was once more frequent than it has become, I always make a point to also buy strings, a strap, a clip on tuner, a 3-in-1 tool, and a capo. My current favorite guitar capo is the D'Addario NS Artist. It does a great job of staying well out of my way while I finger open guitar chords, something other capos don't always do.

When I bought my Kentucky 250 from Elderly I had them toss in a Kyser Quick Change mandolin capo along with a D'Addatio mandolin strap, D'Addario NS Micro clip on tuner, arm rest, and mandolin-size string winder. But after playing mandolin for a while I never thought I'd use the capo.

Kyser Quick Change mandolin capo did a great job staying away from my hand as I played & changed chords. Very nice.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I’ve also recently done something I never thought I’d do, Dan. I tuned one of my mandolins 1/2 step down.

I lost a longtime gigging buddy and decided to book a few gigs as a duo with my son, who is an accomplished singer of contemporary country ballads, and who keeps his guitar tuned down a half step. Now that we are rehearsing for our first gig, after years of casual playing with him, I’m just too tired of the mental gymnastics required to play in key. It’s enough for me to compensate mentally for the capo on the guitar without adding the 1/2 step difference. I find it easier, and more fun, to just start in the same universe as him and just compensate for the capo when he uses it.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

What's the world coming too?

10. The following members say thank you to Berto Boy for this post:

Blog Entries

You and son are in good company, Mark. Even Pavarotti was (allegedly) singing a step or two down late in his career. I have to say "allegedly" because I don't want to get sued.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

12. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

I was at a blues jam at Augusta a while ago. John Cephas and Phil Wiggins were leading a song, and John was playing in E and capoed at the 2nd fret. Nobody else was playing, since F# is a tool of the devil.

But I'd just done a workshop with Andra Faye and learned the triangle 7th chord, and how to move it around. I was doing fine plunking chords until Phil suggested I take a solo. No thanks!

D.H.

I used to play with a guy who used a baritone guitar, so not only were you transposing on the fly ( it's tuned down a 5th) I ended up playing in F# minor a lot. Not bad once you get used to it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I enjoy playing in different keys, keeps me on my toes so to speak, but the double transposing gives me a headache. I’m easily lost

- YouTube Stuff

Like Mark I also like the challenge of the different keys, and they might bring out some different ideas.

In F# you have some good blues notes on the open strings:
    In F# chord at 2nd fret, open E gives you F#7, open A gives you flattened 3rd, and so on for B and C# chords moving across the strings.

I used to play in a band where the singer played GDAD bouzouki and I was standing behind him and had to guess which fret he'd moved the capo to from my view behind the neck and guess again from the position of the back of his hand what key he was in.
    Bren

17. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Hi, my name is John, this is my first mandolin capo's anonymous meeting....

I have a Paige yoke style capo that fits a mando neck perfectly. I keep a Paige on my octave mandolin and mandocello, and each one of my guitars.

Comes from folk jams with singers that insist on playing/singing in horn keys.

Only instruments I've never capo'ed are my fiddles and Kay bass.

I'm not sure I'd put a capo on a mandolin (octave, no problem), I'd rather sit the tune out or be forced to work it out and play just odd bits of accompaniment.
    As Bren was saying, there are often some really nice open-string notes that appear and you can always find the root on a string near the nut and play up the same string.

-although I like that the capo is an easy defense against other instrumentalists who like to change key for each and every song. It can reduce conflict.
    (Beginner-guitarists sometimes play a lot of simple I, IV, V songs in a row and just change capo each time to prevent boredom).

20. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I had one but gave it away. None of the guit pickers I know ever plays in F#. With my music friends, it's always CAGED scales — even the guy who capos his baritone.

Sounds like it could happen, though. Omigosh, what did I do?!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Blog Entries

If you have a buddy or a band you play with that makes it more convenient to keep your mandolin tuned down a fret - it seems like justification for another mandolin.

Just sayin...

I play some in alternate tunings, for different reasons. Cross G or cross A or Dee Dad. But it is the same issue. I keep a mandolin in cross for just such occasions.

I know I should get three more.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Even Pavarotti was (allegedly) singing a step or two down late in his career.
    I recently read that Lauren Bacall was coached by Warner Brothers to create her low, breathy voice! I had never heard that before. I assumed it was her natural voice.

Same with Elizabeth Holmes!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    If you have a buddy or a band you play with that makes it more convenient to keep your mandolin tuned down a fret - it seems like justification for another mandolin.

Just sayin...

I play some in alternate tunings, for different reasons. Cross G or cross A or Dee Dad. But it is the same issue. I keep a mandolin in cross for just such occasions.

I know I should get three more.
    I agree with that … multiple mandolins make it easier. I have one with K&Ks and tuned it down for rehearsing/playing this gig. Time will tell if we get more gigs together. I only have two, I use a mic with the other one, in case my regular gigging buddy comes back around.

- YouTube Stuff

Easy, you could have two instruments, a five course mandolin in CGDAe, and a five course mandola-ish device tuned in B, F#, Db,Ab, D#
    That would cover everything except two keys:
    Bb, F -which are capo first fret playing in A (shape) and E on a guitar.
    So just one rule for the band, no songs, nothing at first fret.

Now you'd need to talk to the banjo player.

...and if your singer only ever sings in one key, then there's a 6:1 chance that they'll have to go.

26. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Could have used a capo last night. Was at a jam and there were no guitars. Spent 90 minutes chording in the keys of A and E. My left hand is paying a price last night and today.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I have a drawer full of capos of every make and model I think. I do not use a capo on a mandolin. It just gets in the way for me. The only time I use one on a guitar is when I need a cord shape for the sound it gives in a closed key song. That occurs rarely. It’s easier for me to go without one. Probably because I had played for a good while without one so I don’t need one. I do use one for banjo, but I don’t play it much. For me they are more than a nuisance than a help. That being said, I don’t have any problem with them or people using them. When I taught, I did not have the student use them until they could play enough to not use them for a crutch. Then, when it was time, I would teach them how to use it to accomplish what they needed to use it for. They are a great tool for the right situation.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest